Alan Pardew

Dave

One thing that has bugged me is the amount of times our players just stand and watch whoever has the ball, especially when Ben arfa has it, but even when one our cm's has the ball.. the other cm's are either nowhere near him or are just standing watching. West brom passed through our centre midfield yesterday with ease on a number of occasions, especially 2nd half and it wasn't like they were doing anything special, they just showed for the ball, moved and released to another runner.. just why on earth can we not do this? The amount of times we end up just passing to the back 4 because there are no options is incredible.. usually just ends up in us just punting the ball out from krul/defence. Ben arfa and cabaye for Ba's goal against spurs is about the only time i can think of this season where we have passed and moved.

Because it's not in Pardew's nature to play a pass and move game. He's come from low profile teams where the long ball is used effectively to punch above their weight similar to Sam Allardyce. He does try and incorporate some passing, but it's mostly just impressive talk. It doesn't look like we practice it on the pitch at all, and under the slightest bit of pressure it's Shola up front and long balls to the big lads.

He doesn't really believe in the passing game IMO, and looks unsure how to implement it. It looks to me that players like Cisse and Marveaux are getting stick on here when more than likely the style of football is more suited to the Sholas and Martin O Neill type of players.

One thing that has bugged me is the amount of times our players just stand and watch whoever has the ball, especially when Ben arfa has it, but even when one our cm's has the ball.. the other cm's are either nowhere near him or are just standing watching. West brom passed through our centre midfield yesterday with ease on a number of occasions, especially 2nd half and it wasn't like they were doing anything special, they just showed for the ball, moved and released to another runner.. just why on earth can we not do this? The amount of times we end up just passing to the back 4 because there are no options is incredible.. usually just ends up in us just punting the ball out from krul/defence. Ben arfa and cabaye for Ba's goal against spurs is about the only time i can think of this season where we have passed and moved.

Because it's not in Pardew's nature to play a pass and move game. He's come from low profile teams where the long ball is used effectively to punch above their weight similar to Sam Allardyce. He does try and incorporate some passing, but it's mostly just impressive talk. It doesn't look like we practice it on the pitch at all, and under the slightest bit of pressure it's Shola up front and long balls to the big lads.

He doesn't really believe in the passing game IMO, and looks unsure how to implement it. It looks to me that players like Cisse and Marveaux are getting stick on here when more than likely the style of football is more suited to the Sholas and Martin O Neill type of players.

Agree with all of that.

Pardew sticks to what he knows which is percentages.

Players moving around or going forward too much and losing position in a passing movement worries him. Our players try as much as possible to hold thier zone and their core position and then reboot. This keeps the team profile solid and hard to score against (that's the theory anyway -MON - Allardyce and Moyes - but he's changed the last couple of seasons).

I suspect he's been pawing at statistics too much which often don't tell the full picture. Often 3/4 touches may lead to a goal (like the kick from Krul goal on Sunday) and nobody has to have deserted their positon (Shola just moved in a bit). He looks at mistakes (goals conceded when there is a corner up the other end and the breakaway). Ironically these kinds of stats are the surface of the game but now with prozone and so on they have become the new gloss.

Tbf to Pards he's a bit like an unpolished Mourinho who has had his fair shair of very static and defensive formations (remember how Chelsea used to lob it to Drogba a lot?) Just that a lot of Mou's overfocused research (see all his assistants and their number crunching - Clarke etc) is gilded with teams full of stars.

P like Mourinho is only interested in winning football. Even now two sprinters wait on the half way line (Benzema and one other) while the whole team defends.

P still really wants Carroll as the focus, that should tell you everything.

:thup:

Agree with all of that.

Players moving around or going forward too much and losing position in a passing movement worries him. Our players try as much as possible to hold thier zone and their core position and then reboot. This keeps the team profile solid and hard to score against (that's the theory anyway -MON - Allardyce and Moyes - but he's changed the last couple of seasons).

I suspect he's been pawing at statistics too much which often don't tell the full picture. Often 3/4 touches may lead to a goal (like the kick from Krul goal on Sunday) and nobody has to have deserted their positon (Shola just moved in a bit). He looks at mistakes (goals conceded when there is a corner up the other end and the breakaway). Ironically these kinds of stats are the surface of the game but now with prozone and so on they have become the new gloss.

Tbf to Pards he's a bit like an unpolished Mourinho who has had his fair shair of very static and defensive formations (remember how Chelsea used to lob it to Drogba a lot?) Just that a lot of Mou's overfocused research (see all his assistants and their number crunching - Clarke etc) is gilded with teams full of stars.

P like Mourinho is only interested in winning football. Even now two sprinters wait on the half way line (Benzema and one other) while the whole team defends.

I can't disagree with any of that, it makes you wonder who was behind the brilliant football at the end of the season :undecided:

Carver needs shooting as an attacking coach, like. No clue whatsoever.

dont blame carver, pardew is the boss so he has final say,  if carver says "lets attack like barcelona tikki tacka!", pardew would say "fuck off carver u just came back coaching from canada, twat"

Agree with all of that.

a nice post , agree with everything except the mourinho comparisons.  :huff:

Tiote does not pass the ball quick enough to be a Man U player, sure he would do a great job off the ball but on the ball i'm not sure he's good enough for what they require.

As for the whole top 6 thing.... i genuinely believe we have a top 6 team the issue at the moment is the manager is using what he has incorrectly.

Is there 6 better XI's than this?

Krul

Simpson Saylor Colo Santon

Tiote

Cabaye Jonas

Ben Arfa Cisse Ba

I don't believe so.

im not convinced.

Whose is better? i remind you we finished 5th with that line up last season :lol:

We never once had that line up out last season.

These are the players Pardew used to finish 5th last season, in order of appearances:

Krul  38

Jonas 37

Coloccini 35

Simpson 35

Cabaye 34

Ba 32

Tiote 24

RTaylor 23

Williamson 21

Santon 19

Obertan 18

Best 16

Ben Arfa 16

Guthrie 13

Cisse 13

Perch 13

Shola 8

Also Vuckic, Sammy, Ferguson, Lovenkrands, Barton, Smith, Marveaux, Gosling making no more than 2 starts apiece, and he even had Alan Smith on the pitch at one point (home v Fulham).

And these are the players that AVB and Di Matteo finished below us with:

Petr Čech

Branislav Ivanović

Ashley Cole

David Luiz

Michael Essien

Oriol Romeu

Ramires

Frank Lampard

Fernando Torres

Juan Mata

Didier Drogba

Mikel John Obi

Florent Malouda

Raul Meireles

José Bosingwa

Romelu Lukaku

Paulo Ferreira

Salomon Kalou

Daniel Sturridge

Gary Cahill

John Terry

Ryan Bertrand

We had absolutely no business being anywhere near teams like this, and with the total lack of meaningful transfer activity the same is true this season.

Its not been said in this thread often enough recently that Pardew has shown himself to be a f***ing good manager. We have had charlatans and bluffers before and they have all been exposed and f***ed off within 2 years.

Agree with all of that.

What a bunch of tripe, Pards consistently produced attacking, creative football teams with much lesser sides. How on earth do you compare this to Allardyce? Is this the chalk and cheese thread?

Carver needs shooting as an attacking coach, like. No clue whatsoever.

dont blame carver, pardew is the boss so he has final say,  if carver says "lets attack like barcelona tikki tacka!", pardew would say "f*** off carver u just came back coaching from canada, t***"

Words fail me. :lol:

Tiote does not pass the ball quick enough to be a Man U player, sure he would do a great job off the ball but on the ball i'm not sure he's good enough for what they require.

As for the whole top 6 thing.... i genuinely believe we have a top 6 team the issue at the moment is the manager is using what he has incorrectly.

Is there 6 better XI's than this?

Krul

Simpson Saylor Colo Santon

Tiote

Cabaye Jonas

Ben Arfa Cisse Ba

I don't believe so.

im not convinced.

Whose is better? i remind you we finished 5th with that line up last season :lol:

We never once had that line up out last season.

These are the players Pardew used to finish 5th last season, in order of appearances:

Krul  38

Jonas 37

Coloccini 35

Simpson 35

Cabaye 34

Ba 32

Tiote 24

RTaylor 23

Williamson 21

Santon 19

Obertan 18

Best 16

Ben Arfa 16

Guthrie 13

Cisse 13

Perch 13

Shola 8

Also Vuckic, Sammy, Ferguson, Lovenkrands, Barton, Smith, Marveaux, Gosling making no more than 2 starts apiece, and he even had Alan Smith on the pitch at one point (home v Fulham).

And these are the players that AVB and Di Matteo finished below us with:

Petr Čech

Branislav Ivanović

Ashley Cole

David Luiz

Michael Essien

Oriol Romeu

Ramires

Frank Lampard

Fernando Torres

Juan Mata

Didier Drogba

Mikel John Obi

Florent Malouda

Raul Meireles

José Bosingwa

Romelu Lukaku

Paulo Ferreira

Salomon Kalou

Daniel Sturridge

Gary Cahill

John Terry

Ryan Bertrand

We had absolutely no business being anywhere near teams like this, and with the total lack of meaningful transfer activity the same is true this season.

Its not been said in this thread often enough recently that Pardew has shown himself to be a f***ing good manager. We have had charlatans and bluffers before and they have all been exposed and f***ed off within 2 years.

Jonas is an undroppable man, I have no idea why.

Agree with all of that.

What a bunch of tripe, Pards consistently produced attacking, creative football teams with much lesser sides. How on earth do you compare this to Allardyce? Is this the chalk and cheese thread?

No... Besides, it´s not so weird that he may get lesser teams finishing above the quality of his squads. If you just play simple football and work hard you can get wonders (there are tons of examples of that) but in the long run that isn´t a type of football that will get you places. And most of all. It´s not a type of football that suites "footballers". It´s not weird that players like Raylor, perch, Best, Willo etc is playing good under him. It´s a simple football we play and they work hard on the pitch.

I don´t understand the different between him and Allardyce and O´Neill that everyone despise.

Agree with all of that.

Well said Stu. There's been some utter gargage spouted in this thread recently but to compare the current Premier League manager of the season to big Sam is laughable.

Agree with all of that.

I hope you're wrong, Parky. At the moment, I'm not sure whether Pardew is getting the best out of the particular players at his disposal (and let's face it, overall, he's not been doing a bad job, given that he took us to 5th) or whether his tactics are limiting the players. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt atm and saying it's the former.

Our movement up front is restricted because we have to choose between three Number 9-type strikers, with no-one with the pace and energy to act as a good, creative link from deeper. In central midfield, we have a defensive player and a playmaker, which to me is never an ideal combination because they tend to operate side by side (remember Parker and Emre?) and we don't have anyone who's good at getting forward down the centre. Everything is dependent on the wings, or on hitting the front men early.

I think things are improving, albeit slowly, and I'm encouraged that we're apparently looking at a box-to-box midfielder. And if Sammy develops at a decent rate, the withdrawn / wide striker issue might be solved.

The lack of movement, rigidity etc. seems more and more about the fear of loosing is bigger then the lust for winning matches. Pardew seems like the guy who builds from the back, but has he ever done the stage where he builds the attack? Defensively we were quite good last year. Looking apart from the obvious dreadfull results we had. But offensive we were pretty much working on scraps all the way and had our piece of luck. The interesting part starts now, will we push on the attack?

I can remember watching Southampton win the Johnston's Paint Trophy when Pards was there. They were a decent footballing team. He plays too safe (percentages) for the quality of our starting 11. I can sympathise however as I think it must be a real balancing act managing the club. Plausibly a fifth place finish could be our highest end position over the next eight years and yet there is a developing disquiet about the way things are progressing. I'm not saying that's wrong or right either.

I would say that Pardew has shown himself to be highly pragmatic in his style when mananging us. I hope this pragmatism will lead him to develop a more attractive footballing side. I would be surprised if that wasn't the direction he wanted to go in. It may take some time and also may well require some investment in the squad. 

I can remember watching Southampton win the Johnston's Paint Trophy when Pards was there. They were a decent footballing team. He plays too safe (percentages) for the quality of our starting 11. I can sympathise however as I think it must be a real balancing act managing the club. Plausibly a fifth place finish could be our highest end position over the next eight years and yet there is a developing disquiet about the way things are progressing. I'm not saying that's wrong or right either.

I would say that Pardew has shown himself to be highly pragmatic in his style when mananging us. I hope this pragmatism will lead him to develop a more attractive footballing side. I would be surprised if that wasn't the direction he wanted to go in. It may take some time and also may well require some investment in the squad. 

There is an argument that he is developing the side gradually and it might be until he trusts certain players with the ball he will stick to percentage football. With his record last season he deserves some slack, I wouldn't begrudge him that. But it's a generous assessment, and personally I haven't seen much sign of progress from last season, and it's worrying. I don't have any problem with us playing defensively against the better teams but when we are trying to slug it out in a physical battle with the likes of Reading you have to wonder whether it's our players he doesn't rate or that he just doesn't know how to coach passing football.