Alan Pardew

Dave

There's a difference in "going down that road again", and actually spending some money building a decent squad. A squad capable of repeating the run we had last year + competing in Europe. Which surely has to be a goal. We have a thin squad and were promised players. No chance we only can afford £3m.

Itd cost money, which potentially we've decided to save towards a much better replacement. If you're being efficient with money this makes sense. Debuchy, VDW & Clyne were mentioned as backups, it didnt happen. Its no coincidence Anita's now filling in that position & (while early) not many are worrying about RB atm.

Being efficient with money doesn't mean being tight, which we clearly are. Simpson, the first choice right back, is probably leaving in January or for free next summer so replacing him this summer was a must. Considering he rejected the "final" contract months ago we would have known this was a priority.

It all boils down to us continuing to be cheap, which is a scandal considering our net spend in the last few years.

You call it "tight", many would call it not being moronic with money. It makes little sense to spend money on a  player when the prospects of a much better signing soon becoming available are there, its a pretty simple concept to understand tbh. Just because you WANT something to happen doesnt mean its possible, situations sometimes have to be revised. You're talking with vague disatisfaction moreso than any well reasoned argument. Enough with the Q&A.

We spent about £3million this summer :lol: If you think this is acceptable then you need to ask yourself where all the money goes we make.

Like i said before, there is a considerable middle ground between being "moronic with money" and signing players we need, when we need them. You refusing to acknowledge this is bizarre and very blinkered to fit your/Pardew's agenda.

Another injury or 2 tonight might wake you up?

Does Mike trouser the cash?  :frantic:

:sleepy2:

We're no longer the poor, little "bankrupt" club they claim we are.

The good old ..zzzz.. put down  :lol:

I think you're correct in what you state and signings like Cisse, Anita etc, and contracts recently handed out to some of our key players would indicate that. With the exception of 3 or 4 obvious clubs we can now compete with just about anyone in British football.

That said, if you think for one minute the present regime will waver from it's laid down transfer policy or salary budget you'll only end up stressing yourself out. No chance of it happening.

Guest neesy111

The thing is I want us to have a squad that will allow us to compete in the ups, our cup record in recent years has been diabolical with some shocking results coupled with it.

Those who prefer league position really don't understand what football is about tbh, I read all clubs stature in the game based on the success they've had not on how good crowds they got and if they have a rich owner.

Clyne signed for Southampton in July for about £2million. Would that have been a "moronic" use of money? Or can we possibly stretch to that if we sell a few more players?

Pinning all our January hopes on a player we didn't try very hard to sign in the summer is counter-productive. What if we don't get him then?

It wouldnt have been the smartest use of the money given we were negotiating for Debuchy & had apparently found a utility player in Anita for backup who could cover more positions than Clyne. Unless you'd have left Debuchy alone even though hes the better player?

Remember this thread http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,92773.1000.html

We haven't got started yet this season, but we've had a very tough set of fixtures to begin with. If we lose tonight then our two defeats are away to Everton and Chelsea which could easily be defeats even if we're playing well. Of course there is the question of how we lost, but we will step up a gear soon enough. Two wins in a row starting this Thursday will go a long way. We MIGHT even get 3 in a row starting tonight :troll:

My issue with spending so little was that it was highly unlikely that the team we had would play so well as last season, they played out of their skin and had the element of surprise.  Shock horror, we are being found out, players are not quite at the races and injuries and games are already affecting us.

I just hope some of the players get their fingers out their arses and make sure this doesn't become a shambles and no matter what some of the deluded think on here, we simply did not bolster the squad enough with the players we needed.

think he deserves a lot of credit for turning that around. Aye, there was nothing there first half and that's partly down to him, but a lot down to the players. the tactics second half were much better and he must have given them a fucking beasting

Made the changes that got us a point, bad officiating or not. Baines and Pienaar were very quiet second half, and we roared back in fashion. :thup:

I think you have to give him credit for trying the formation/personnel we started the game with. It didn't work but fair do's for trying it.

Made the changes that got us a point, bad officiating or not. Baines and Pienaar were very quiet second half, and we roared back in fashion. :thup:

I think you have to give him credit for trying the formation/personnel we started the game with. It didn't work but fair do's for trying it.

Yep. It didn't work, and the players' attitudes weren't right. He addressed it, and that's what matters.

Yep. It didn't work, and the players' attitudes weren't right. He addressed it, and that's what matters.

:thup: