Alan Pardew

Dave

Guest bimpy474

Bimpy still got the new post bug? :lol:

Its not a bug (sort of), i've figured it out.

Its when you edit a post, if you have spotted a error before another reply gets posted.

That's the point though, isn't it? There's not time for 5 days of training before games when you're in Europe. And attacking training considers the opposition as well probably, unless you're Barca.

I know i was generalising what Pardew said in an interview once. I guess i just want the opposition to worry about us. Obviously when you play Man Utd, City, Chelsea you have to be set up properly.

Just not to extent where you hope to nick a goal and hold on for dear life. Thats very Martin O'nil

Did he?

I'd be interested to see the quote as I'd got it into my head that it was a jokey comment that came from JC.

Guest bimpy474

That's the point though, isn't it? There's not time for 5 days of training before games when you're in Europe. And attacking training considers the opposition as well probably, unless you're Barca.

I know i was generalising what Pardew said in an interview once. I guess i just want the opposition to worry about us. Obviously when you play Man Utd, City, Chelsea you have to be set up properly.

Just not to extent where you hope to nick a goal and hold on for dear life. Thats very Martin O'nil

Did he?

For some reason I thought it was a jokey comment that came from JC.

Not sure i'm remembering this right but i thought it was from the Radio Newcastle interview with him and JC, Pardew said he concentrates on the shape and defensive side Monday to Thursday and JC looks at the attacking side Friday's.

Last season and before the Europa League disrupting. Not an excuse that by the way, piss poor one for me.

Guest bimpy474

Well it's obviously working a treat. I can't remember us looking so terrible at the back.

Did last season, especially at the start. But it gets figured out as has been proven imo this season.

I just want see the players in a system that suits them, and for them to be given some freedom to play. We would then see a decent bit of football as a result.

Did he?

I'd be interested to see the quote as I'd got it into my head that it was a jokey comment that came from JC.

Not sure i'm remembering this right but i thought it was from the Radio Newcastle interview with him and JC, Pardew said he concentrates on the shape and defensive side Monday to Thursday and JC looks at the attacking side Friday's.

Last season and before the Europa League disrupting. Not an excuse that by the way, piss poor one for me.

You could be right.

I'd be surprised if that has remained the training regime to this day though. Things change, and I'd guess that was at a point when we were just trying to get the basics sorted.

/fuck only knows if they are even doing any training at the moment. It certainly doesn't show. :lol:

I guess we have to accept that we and most other teams will be doing a containing job on the top four when we play them, but West Ham? Swansea? Southampton? Maritimo?

We were the 5th best team in the Barclays Premier League last year. Let's show the fucking opposition why

Guest bimpy474

Did he?

You're probably right like.

I'd be surprised if that has remained the training regime to this day though, things change and I'd guess that was at a point when we were just trying to get the basics sorted.

/fuck only knows if they are even doing any training at the moment. It certainly doesn't show. :lol:

Maybe thats Pardew flaw, he doesn't adapt, change and evolve the way say Sir Alex has or Sir Bobby didn't when he managed abroad.

You are right though, if they are spending that much time on defending i'd want my money back :lol:

Guest bimpy474

I guess we have to accept that we and most other teams will be doing a containing job on the top four when we play them, but West Ham? Swansea? Southampton? Maritimo?

We were the 5th best team in the Barclays Premier League last year. Let's show the fucking opposition why

Aye, i posted something along those lines earlier, lets make the oppo worry about us not the other way round. I think the Stoke home game was the last game where we really went at a team.

Did he?

I'd be surprised if that has remained the training regime to this day though, things change and I'd guess that was at a point when we were just trying to get the basics sorted.

Maybe thats Pardew flaw, he doesn't adapt, change and evolve the way say Sir Alex has or Sir Bobby didn't when he managed abroad.

You are right though, if they are spending that much time on defending i'd want my money back :lol:

The amount of time he has spent studying other managers (for the most part, abroad), I'd like to think one of Pardews strengths is that he is open to change or other ideas.

None of us really have a clue what goes on on the training pitch though, so we'll just have to sit back, support, and see what direction the team takes once we climb out of this interminable rut.

Thing with attacking training is it's largely transferrable from game to game. If you attack in a certain way against Swansea, you'll probably do the same against Villa, bar maybe highlighting a couple of areas they're weak in. Spend time on attacking training and you'll (hopefully) build up a fluid game that carries a lot of threat to opponents.

Defensive training, the way we seem to be doing it, is 4 days spent focussed on stopping one opponent. That's fine for that game, but it's wasted for the next 18 matches until you play them again by which point they'll possibly have different personnel playing anyway. Apart from meaning we play shite football that's about as easy on the eyes as sandpaper, it's just not good use of time.

It's a really interesting point, I honestly don't know how most teams approach it.

Also, it's easy to say that you're concentrating on the opposition too much when you're losing, guess when you're stopping them and winning games it seems more acceptable.

I'm not inspired by Pardew's quotes about this either like.

Guest bimpy474

Did he?

The amount of time he has spent studying other managers (for the most part, abroad), I'd like to think one of Pardews strengths is that he is open to change or other ideas.

None of us really have a clue what goes on on the training pitch though, so we'll just have to sit back, support, and see what direction the team takes once we climb out of this interminable rut.

Very true, the one thing for sure is, we will find out just how good he is and how much fight our players have. Unlike when we got relegated last time we have team of players who do seem to like and back the manager.

Guest bimpy474

It's a really interesting point, I honestly don't know how most teams approach it.

Also, it's easy to say that you're concentrating on the opposition too much when you're losing, guess when you're stopping them and winning games it seems more acceptable.

Thats definitely a theme with a lot of us on here.  ;)

if playing in europe ever becomes an excuse, he should be sacked!

Less preparation time...ok, but we mostly play squad and young players + players suspended in the PL. It should or could be an advantage.

It has nothing do to with our or his clueless approach!

Obviously it's a factor, you can't prepare for two games at once, no matter who is going to be on the pitch on the night.

If the EL is so far down the priority list though, why not just prepare for the league game all week and just play the same way on a Thursday night?

Spending separate time on defending and attacking seems a bit of a backwards way to do things regardless of how much you spend on each, to me anyway.

This is not American Football where we have a go then you have a go, football should be much more fluid than that. Even when we're defending, we should be thinking about how to turn it round before we've even won the ball, like the best teams do.

Man United have always been so good on the counter because their attacking players are in the right place as soon as the ball is won, whereas for us when we win the ball, Ben Arfa is usually next to our corner flag. This seems a consequence of this "defend then attack" approach.

Spending separate time on defending and attacking seems a bit of a backwards way to do things regardless of how much you spend on each, to me anyway.

This is not American Football where we have a go then you have a go, football should be much more fluid than that. Even when we're defending, we should be thinking about how to turn it round before we've even won the ball, like the best teams do.

Man United have always been so good on the counter because their attacking players are in the right place as soon as the ball is won, whereas for us when we win the ball, Ben Arfa is usually next to our corner flag. This seems a consequence of this "defend then attack" approach.

:thup::thup:

Most teams approach it by having allocated roles with regard to situations that occur commonly during defending. That is the general backdrop. Then for a day or so they look at video or dossier of the other team and hone that general defensive pattern a bit to suit the next opponent.

I have never in my life heard of a team spending FOUR DAYS ON OPPONENT SPECIFIC DEFENCE, infact when I first heard about it last year I thought it was just a PR stunt by Pards to make him look thorough.

It's the same for attack, there are pitch area specific routines and role allocation (what happens if we do this) and then that is honed to the next opponent for a day or so....