Alan Pardew

Dave

Still think the first team's generally propped up by a load of rubbish and key players aren't performing as well as they should.

That said, tactically he'll always hold us back and when that's compounded by ridiculous inclusions in the first Xl it's difficult to construct a decent defence for the guy.

I disagree, not when you compare us to most other sides. Even Man Utd by their standards is propped up by some rubbish. No club has 22 world-class players. We have as good a squad as any outside of Man Utd, Chelsea and Man City. We are now on a par with Spurs and Arsenal in terms of squad.

Our key players are not performing as well as they can or should because of the system, tactics, coaching etc.

Cisse wide right. Ba a target man. Cabaye a quarter-back. Ben Arfa a wing-back. Jonas still being selected. Tiote a hard man. Even this so-called 10 position of Sisoko, bull shit. He's not playing that role or position whatsoever. He does eventually find himself in such a position/role but only due to the game opening up and other game factors etc. He doesn't start as a number 10 or play that role from kick-off. With Goufran in the side there is no need whatsoever for Jonas.

No chance, man. Not when Elliott/Harper, Danny Simpson, Shola Ameobi and Jonas are always one injury or less away from starting games.

The scary thing is, had we not went on that mad January spending spree, we would be looking at a very very realistic season of Championship football next season. He has to go, seriously. There is nothing remotely good about this NUFC team other than the individual talent of the players. We cannot defend, we cannot attack. We are tactically poor. Our set pieces are poor. We are average at home and shocking away from home. We cannot hold onto leads, we cannot win from behind, we are such a sorry mess of a team despite having a very good squad of players. We will not improve significantly next season, we will struggle again just as we are this season and that's because our manager is f***ing clueless.

???

To put things into perspective, we've lost 14 league games this season- only Wigan (16) and Reading (15) have lost more than us. That means we've lost half our games this campaign. Yeah, class manager.

We won half of our games last campaign. Yeah, shit manager. :lol:

Do you not think the answer so far is more likely to be somewhere between the two?

Personally I've seen enough of the way he wants to play the game to know that I don't want him here, no matter where he falls on an arbitrary scale between good and shite.

We're always going to be relying too much on luck with him because he's too reliant on his best players to get results. He wants a full team all the time and that's not realistic, maybe fifty years ago he would have been in luck, and even then it's still all done with a negative approach.

Even if he did qualify for Europe next season, the season after that we'd be back to what we've seen this season, moaning about having to compete in midweek.

Still think the first team's generally propped up by a load of rubbish and key players aren't performing as well as they should.

That said, tactically he'll always hold us back and when that's compounded by ridiculous inclusions in the first Xl it's difficult to construct a decent defence for the guy.

The only 'ridiculous' inclusion at the moment is Jonas for me and even then I can't really moan with the other options. Marveaux is obviously more creative but I think we would be carrying him too much out there.

If Jonas is still playing when Ben Arfa is fully fit fair enough but I really don't think he will.

Guest Dontooner

top 6-8 squad, still some fringe players away ...

Below Average Manager  :weep:

Where would we finish? closer to 9 - 14 i reckon next season.

The only 'ridiculous' inclusion at the moment is Jonas for me and even then I can't really moan with the other options. Marveaux is obviously more creative but I think we would be carrying him too much out there.

If Jonas is still playing when Ben Arfa is fully fit fair enough but I really don't think he will.

The most concerning thing for me is that he doesn't know how to change a game, if it's going bad he does not seem capable of tweaking the way we play. We very rarely take advantage of opposition weaknesses and generally don't setup to play good attacking football. We always seem to be more concerned with what the other team is going to do and 9 times out of 10 it ends bad for us. I just wish he would grow a pair at times and allow the players to express themselves because I think he holds them back and concerns himself to much with defensive shape and hard work, both of which sees us make defensive mistakes nearly every single game.

I am willing to wait until next season but he has to evolve, look at the way Swansea play with players like Dyer, Routledge etc. Even at the back Gary Monk ffs, it's because of the way they train, tactical and formation work and it's clear they work on movement as well as being hard working to win the ball back. Look at other teams as well and just seems they know how to retain the ball better and use it effectively, quite a few with players you would consider less able than ours.

Oh and when we are losing, the answer is not Shola. Despite common believe that the answer to every problem going is Shola, it fucking isn't, the guy is terrible and has been for over 10 years, yet Pardew thinks the sun shines out his arse. I really hope he does not decide to go with him and Cisse on right for Anzhi

Guest Howaythetoon

RE Jonas, I like the player and respect him, but these days he offers nothing other than 'work-rate' and this alone typifies Pardew's whole outlook and limitations as a manager. I look at Goufron and see work-rate AND end product. He can work that entire left side up and down from both a defensive and attacking perspective, negating the need for Jonas.

But all Pardew sees is graft and defensive duties when he looks at Jonas, i.e. the cornerstone of his ideas, coaching and tactics. By removing Jonas however, we could play a central 3 of Anita, Cabaye and Tiote in midfield with Cabaye the tip of that, i.e. the number 10.

This would allow us to play Goufran, Cisse and Sissoko as the forward 3.  Off the ball, Goufran could drop back into a left-wing berth and Sissoko a wide right berth, a position he showed against Chelsea he can operate in. We would be so much more fluid and attacking and of course, more stronger defensively. But Pardew doesn't see any of that.

For me, Tiote should be the anchor-man, the destroyer. His whole role and position there to sit and protect and to break up the opposition. Then give it to Anita who has shown he moves around better and is better with quick shorter passing. He can be the link man, who gets it and gives it... to Cabaye, our real playmaker. Let him link up with the forward 3 and see what can develop.

Instead he is sat on top of the back-four spraying hollywood balls about and charging into challenges and opposition midfielders. Pardew's admittedly much better French Souness Scott Parker. He's better than that man!

Tiote the way we play is just a waste of a shirt. The poor fucker probably gets sent out to rough up the opposition. Again he is much better than that.

RE Jonas, I like the player and respect him, but these days he offers nothing other than 'work-rate' and this alone typifies Pardew's whole outlook and limitations as a manager. I look at Goufron and see work-rate AND end product. He can work that entire left side up and down from both a defensive and attacking perspective, negating the need for Jonas.

But all Pardew sees is graft and defensive duties when he looks at Jonas, i.e. the cornerstone of his ideas, coaching and tactics. By removing Jonas however, we could play a central 3 of Anita, Cabaye and Tiote in midfield with Cabaye the tip of that, i.e. the number 10.

This would allow us to play Goufran, Cisse and Sissoko as the forward 3.  Off the ball, Goufran could drop back into a left-wing berth and Sissoko a wide right berth, a position he showed against Chelsea he can operate in. We would be so much more fluid and attacking and of course, more stronger defensively. But Pardew doesn't see any of that.

For me, Tiote should be the anchor-man, the destroyer. His whole role and position there to sit and protect and to break up the opposition. Then give it to Anita who has shown he moves around better and is better with quick shorter passing. He can be the link man, who gets it and gives it... to Cabaye, our real playmaker. Let him link up with the forward 3 and see what can develop.

Instead he is sat on top of the back-four spraying hollywood balls about and charging into challenges and opposition midfielders. Pardew's admittedly much better French Souness Scott Parker. He's better than that man!

Tiote the way we play is just a waste of a shirt. The poor f***er probably gets sent out to rough up the opposition. Again he is much better than that.

I just don't know what Jonas is but it's certainly not a winger as he's fucking terrible at it. His creative ability is virtually nil, offers nothing apart from graft really. We desperately need a half competent right winger for when Ben Arfa is injured. Must be one knocking about somewhere that can pick up a ball and cause some bother

Guest Howaythetoon

I disagree, not when you compare us to most other sides. Even Man Utd by their standards is propped up by some rubbish. No club has 22 world-class players. We have as good a squad as any outside of Man Utd, Chelsea and Man City. We are now on a par with Spurs and Arsenal in terms of squad.

Our key players are not performing as well as they can or should because of the system, tactics, coaching etc.

Cisse wide right. Ba a target man. Cabaye a quarter-back. Ben Arfa a wing-back. Jonas still being selected. Tiote a hard man. Even this so-called 10 position of Sisoko, bull s***. He's not playing that role or position whatsoever. He does eventually find himself in such a position/role but only due to the game opening up and other game factors etc. He doesn't start as a number 10 or play that role from kick-off. With Goufran in the side there is no need whatsoever for Jonas.

No chance, man. Not when Elliott/Harper, Danny Simpson, Shola Ameobi and Jonas are always one injury or less away from starting games.

Jenkinson, Santos, Mertesacker, Fabianski, Arshavin :lol:, Gervinho... all getting games for Arsenal.

I'm not denying we have some average or limited players, we do, but so does every other club in the division, even Man Utd who are racing away with the title. I stand by my comments, we have as strong a squad as Arsenal. I would have only Wilshere and Carzola from their entire squad starting for us all things considered.

My brother-in-law is a season ticket holder there and has been for years now and whenever I bemoan our squad/players he always says he would swap many for ours. He'd have Krul, Colo, Cabaye, Tiote, Cisse, Ben Arfa and Sissoko in his first-team XI and rates Sammy, Anita and Taylor. Before Ba went he would have had him too.

We downplay our squad and players massively here.

Krul is easily the best up and coming 'keeper in the division. Colo on hos day is as good as any. Taylor is a very good PL standard defender. The French la dI don't know about but he's highly rated. Our full-backs are French and Italian internationals, who both recently started for their country. In midfield we have tremendous options, even as far back as Bigi and Abeid/Marveoux. Up front we lack options and quality now that Ba has gone but overall we are very very strong.

The most concerning thing for me is that he doesn't know how to change a game, if it's going bad he does not seem capable of tweaking the way we play. We very rarely take advantage of opposition weaknesses and generally don't setup to play good attacking football. We always seem to be more concerned with what the other team is going to do and 9 times out of 10 it ends bad for us. I just wish he would grow a pair at times and allow the players to express themselves because I think he holds them back and concerns himself to much with defensive shape and hard work, both of which sees us make defensive mistakes nearly every single game.

I am willing to wait until next season but he has to evolve, look at the way Swansea play with players like Dyer, Routledge etc. Even at the back Gary Monk ffs, it's because of the way they train, tactical and formation work and it's clear they work on movement as well as being hard working to win the ball back. Look at other teams as well and just seems they know how to retain the ball better and use it effectively, quite a few with players you would consider less able than ours.

Oh and when we are losing, the answer is not Shola. Despite common believe that the answer to every problem going is Shola, it fucking isn't, the guy is terrible and has been for over 10 years, yet Pardew thinks the sun shines out his arse. I really hope he does not decide to go with him and Cisse on right for Anzhi

Good post, the only thing I will say is too often this season there has been no-one on the bench who is good enough to make any real impact/change a game. Hopefully when we have more options he will show he is capable of doing it but at the moment I am not confident.

Guest Howaythetoon

Tiote the way we play is just a waste of a shirt. The poor f***er probably gets sent out to rough up the opposition. Again he is much better than that.

I just don't know what Jonas is but it's certainly not a winger as he's f***ing terrible at it. His creative ability is virtually nil, offers nothing apart from graft really. We desperately need a half competent right winger for when Ben Arfa is injured. Must be one knocking about somewhere that can pick up a ball and cause some bother

Jonas has literally been flogged under Pardew. His end product has always been poor but he could run with the ball at feet, take players on and run up and down that flank. Basically an outlet. Now he cannot, not as much as he used to. He's in there because he grafts hard, doesn't complain and is very professional. That and because the manager cannot see the bigger picture.

Agree with all that.

Oh and when we are losing, the answer is not Shola. Despite common believe that the answer to every problem going is Shola, it f***ing isn't, the guy is terrible and has been for over 10 years, yet Pardew thinks the sun shines out his arse. I really hope he does not decide to go with him and Cisse on right for Anzhi

Good post, the only thing I will say is too often this season there has been no-one on the bench who is good enough to make any real impact/change a game. Hopefully when we have more options he will show he is capable of doing it but at the moment I am not confident.

That's true and when you think even now we don't have great wide options without Ben Arfa. I hope we can rectify that and get a few promising players in that position. Our main criteria for players should be around their technical game and movement to try and evolve the way we play and make us more comfortable on the ball. I look at us yesterday and we played some good stuff, Sissokho, Debuchy, Cabaye etc all look comfortable with the ball and don't panic, we now need to foster this attitude beneath the first team and ensure we have players who don't panic and can focus on the ball. All our young players should be relishing playing with Sissokho, Ben Arfa, Cabaye, Colo etc and be taking tips from watching them on the ball and off it

The bottom line is that he is a defensive manager with one eye on the percentages, this translates over to the players who hesitate to play their natural game. Think the only player who's had something like freedom has been Hatem and he had to earn that over a series of 10 or so 'wonder games'. While Ba was here there was that much indesicision and mucking about to accomodate him Cisse was hamstrung for half a season and is only just coming into his own. However I've been really impressed how Pard is utilising Sissoko as I imagined he'd be played as a 'middle of the park' midfielder.

What a lot of people are looking for and still are is a manager who can impose a fluid style on the side that is flexible and readable by all the players...Not sure this will ever happen and we will probably carrry on stuttering through seasons with patches of good play and patches of poor performances while he's here always with one eye on 'not losing games' and happy to nick wins. Under him it has been rare that we dominate games and put sides to the sword (but that isn't as easy these days as it used to be - football has changed). Look how conservative the likes of AVB and Benitez are even with highly competitive squads.

Cisse wide right. Ba a target man. Cabaye a quarter-back. Ben Arfa a wing-back. Jonas still being selected. Tiote a hard man. Even this so-called 10 position of Sisoko, bull s***. He's not playing that role or position whatsoever. He does eventually find himself in such a position/role but only due to the game opening up and other game factors etc. He doesn't start as a number 10 or play that role from kick-off. With Goufran in the side there is no need whatsoever for Jonas.

Jenkinson, Santos, Mertesacker, Fabianski, Arshavin :lol:, Gervinho... all getting games for Arsenal.

I'm not denying we have some average or limited players, we do, but so does every other club in the division, even Man Utd who are racing away with the title. I stand by my comments, we have as strong a squad as Arsenal. I would have only Wilshere and Carzola from their entire squad starting for us all things considered.

My brother-in-law is a season ticket holder there and has been for years now and whenever I bemoan our squad/players he always says he would swap many for ours. He'd have Krul, Colo, Cabaye, Tiote, Cisse, Ben Arfa and Sissoko in his first-team XI and rates Sammy, Anita and Taylor. Before Ba went he would have had him too.

We downplay our squad and players massively here.

Krul is easily the best up and coming 'keeper in the division. Colo on hos day is as good as any. Taylor is a very good PL standard defender. The French la dI don't know about but he's highly rated. Our full-backs are French and Italian internationals, who both recently started for their country. In midfield we have tremendous options, even as far back as Bigi and Abeid/Marveoux. Up front we lack options and quality now that Ba has gone but overall we are very very strong.

You can add Giroud to that list of average arsenal players.

The bottom line is that he is a defensive manager with one eye on the percentages, this translates over to the players who hesitate to play their natural game. Think the only player who's had something like freedom has been Hatem and he had to earn that over a series of 10 or so 'wonder games'. While Ba was here there was that much indesicision and mucking about to accomodate him Cisse was hamstrung for half a season and is only just coming into his own. However I've been really impressed how Pard is utilising Sissoko as I imagined he'd be played as a 'middle of the park' midfielder.

What a lot of people are looking for and still are is a manager who can impose a fluid style on the side that is flexible and readable by all the players...Not sure this will ever happen and we will probably carrry on stuttering through seasons with patches of good play and patches of poor performances while he's here always with one eye on 'not losing games' and happy to nick wins. Under him it has been rare that we dominate games and put sides to the sword (but that isn't as easy these days as it used to be - football has changed). Look how conservative the likes of AVB and Benitez are even with highly competitive squads.

Agree with that. I was surprised with how he has used Sissokho, giving him a bit of freedom to work really has helped us win a few games, i'm hoping when Ben Arfa is back Pardew unleashes them and lets Him, Sissokho and Gouffran move around.

That's down to the way we play (or don't play) imo. We wouldn't have to 'carry' him any more than Ben Arfa if the team was encouraged to pass, move and be fluid.

That's down to the way we play (or don't play) imo. We wouldn't have to 'carry' him any more than Ben Arfa if the team was encouraged to pass, move and be fluid.

Ben Arfa works a lot harder. Marveaux should only player where Sissoko plays or we are going to be piling pressure on one of the fullbacks (probably Santon as Marv tends to play on the left when on the wing).

Jonas might as well have been full back yesterday. The player position map from yesterday showed Debuchy was higher up than him.

to be honest i think that is his instruction, and rightly so,  Debuchy loves to bomb forward and his delivery is better than Jonas's so with Guti on the right now Debuchy knows he can bomb forward knowing than Jonas is going to drop in and cover for him.  Works ok away from home, wouldn't think we should worry about that "insurance" in home games though.

The scary thing is, had we not went on that mad January spending spree, we would be looking at a very very realistic season of Championship football next season. He has to go, seriously. There is nothing remotely good about this NUFC team other than the individual talent of the players. We cannot defend, we cannot attack. We are tactically poor. Our set pieces are poor. We are average at home and shocking away from home. We cannot hold onto leads, we cannot win from behind, we are such a sorry mess of a team despite having a very good squad of players. We will not improve significantly next season, we will struggle again just as we are this season and that's because our manager is f***ing clueless.

On the other hand, if we'd made those signings in the summer like we should have, I bet we'd have been a lot nearer the top 8 and Pardew wouldn't be under half as much pressure.

Even with the squad we had up until Jan, a decent manager would have not had us flirting with relegation...

He's not up to this level of football and his record proves it.

Guest icemanblue

Looks as if it's been a right laugh in here this weekend, like. :lol:

Same arguments, almost word for word, on a cycle.