Alan Pardew

Dave

Guest icemanblue

You don't though, do you? No one does. I don't remember seeing a single person saying we'd struggle quite so badly this season, before a ball had been kicked. There were concerns over the lack of strengthening, but I don't remember worries over a possible relegation battle. That's despite the protestations of a few that they 'knew this would happen', based on the quality of football that secured us 5th place.

What's been a massive factor this season is the lack of momentum. We had that from the unbeaten start to last year. The confidence generated from that run gave us a platform to carry through the season, which was further improved with the addition of better footballers (Hatem, Cisse). Start well next season, and we may see a vast improvement over this one, though, admittedly, I highly doubt we'd reach the levels of last year.

i didn't say we'd struggle badly again next season did i, though ok i could see how you might think that's what i meant....we may well struggle badly, we may have another push for europe, but either will be built on shite football and direct tactics with this joker running things

of that i am sure

You said you knew how the season would pan out, like. You don't. You'll think you have a pretty good idea at the minute, but that's entirely based on the negativity generated this season. However, I'm not one who subscribes to this belief that we played terrible football for all of last season. So, our opinions are bound to differ.

What I believe is certain, for next season, based on the stories emerging after the derby (like the one above) is that a bad start in the league will result in his departure. Rightly so, by the way. There's been too high an investment for them to risk our league status, or any lower returns they expect from disgruntled player transfers.

no it's not, it's based on the games i watched last season as well when among others said that the tactics he was employing were unsustainable, the tactics he's employed all season that have brought us to this point when for months it's been obvious they were never going to work

so in terms of how next season will pan out my prediction is either cisse or hba wonder-goal us up the table or they don't and we flounder or struggle, but yeah i'm hardly able to predict the future

That's an incredibly simple, and quite short sighted prediction. I can't accept that the sole reason for our successful year was 'wonder goals' from our better individuals. In fact, the very nature of the 'negative' argument implies that we'd be defensive. As we've seen this season, defensive tactics don't work without a well drilled team and an organised defence. I'd say that foundation, along with our creative players, was the reason for our success.

If he can replicate that, with further strengthening, we'll do alright.

You think the problem with this season is that the defence wasn't well drilled or organised?

It's definitely a contributing factor, like, aye.

Why might it have become unorganised?

Buck stops with the manager for that, obviously. The lack of consistency, due injuries etc, in our back five has been a contributing factor though.

Yeah. It's odd though isn't it. Our defending's gotten worse but so has our  attacking game. Begs the question what do we actually work on in training. It's not set penises :lol:

Aye, it's baffling how we/he have gone backwards so dramtically. The unsettled nature of the season hasn't helped, and I do genuinely believe he's massively struggled with the additional games. He's a 'details' manager, and he hasn't had the time available to get his message accross to the players. If anything, I think he, as a manger, was even less prepared for Europe than the squad was. We did still get to the quarter finals, like, so that shouldn't be forgotten.

I'd go one step further and say he's a 'details of the opposing team' manager. Hence quotes like 'when he's got the ball, that's his world' about HBA. From watching us I imagine that to be his approach with all our players, just try and score without moving out of your position.

The EL was fun but lets not kid ourselves, we got past one team that were any good.

Splitting hairs a bit, but I don't disagree. However, I obviously don't have as much of an issue with that approach as others. I think, with players like HBA, there isn't too much wrong in ensuring that he's doing his bit for the solidity of the team, while being given free reign to do what he does best when required.

With regards to the EL, granted, there wasn't a great deal of stellar opposition. But you can only beat what is in front of you.

I really don't know why you're pulling me on that, when you said it?

because i say everything went for him and your response is we took some heavy defeats, of course everything didn't go for him or we'd have won the league as i said

Right. So you said it, but actually meant what I said in response?

what? :lol:  give it up man

It always descends into this with you, like. All I've done is pull you up on something you've said in a post, but now you're acting as if it's obviously not what you meant. 

then tell me what you're on about, i said in effect he had a lot of luck one season and no luck the next i don't see what you're getting worked up about

Guest icemanblue

I really don't know why you're pulling me on that, when you said it?

because i say everything went for him and your response is we took some heavy defeats, of course everything didn't go for him or we'd have won the league as i said

Right. So you said it, but actually meant what I said in response?

what? :lol:  give it up man

It always descends into this with you, like. All I've done is pull you up on something you've said in a post, but now you're acting as if it's obviously not what you meant. 

then tell me what you're on about, i said in effect he had a lot of luck one season and no luck the next i don't see what you're getting worked up about

I'll take this to PM. No one else needs to be as bored of this as I am.

Guest neesy111

What makes this season worse is how bad the quality in the PL has been on a whole.

Although a couple of sides have also overachieved.

Swansea and West Brom?

None of the players have any right to want out after this season, they need to suck it up and make amends for their rank performances.

:thup:

I can't think of anyone standing out all season in terms of overall performances.

Seriously, who's going to bid for anyone we have with the sort of crazy money we'd accept given that they've all been a shower of shit. Maybe Krul? But he wouldn't want to leave.

Other than Colo I can't foresee any major outgoings.

What makes this season worse is how bad the quality in the PL has been on a whole.

Although a couple of sides have also overachieved.

That's probably got something to do with the bad quality of the PL as well.

Guest icemanblue

You don't though, do you? No one does. I don't remember seeing a single person saying we'd struggle quite so badly this season, before a ball had been kicked. There were concerns over the lack of strengthening, but I don't remember worries over a possible relegation battle. That's despite the protestations of a few that they 'knew this would happen', based on the quality of football that secured us 5th place.

What's been a massive factor this season is the lack of momentum. We had that from the unbeaten start to last year. The confidence generated from that run gave us a platform to carry through the season, which was further improved with the addition of better footballers (Hatem, Cisse). Start well next season, and we may see a vast improvement over this one, though, admittedly, I highly doubt we'd reach the levels of last year.

i didn't say we'd struggle badly again next season did i, though ok i could see how you might think that's what i meant....we may well struggle badly, we may have another push for europe, but either will be built on s**** football and direct tactics with this joker running things

of that i am sure

You said you knew how the season would pan out, like. You don't. You'll think you have a pretty good idea at the minute, but that's entirely based on the negativity generated this season. However, I'm not one who subscribes to this belief that we played terrible football for all of last season. So, our opinions are bound to differ.

What I believe is certain, for next season, based on the stories emerging after the derby (like the one above) is that a bad start in the league will result in his departure. Rightly so, by the way. There's been too high an investment for them to risk our league status, or any lower returns they expect from disgruntled player transfers.

no it's not, it's based on the games i watched last season as well when among others said that the tactics he was employing were unsustainable, the tactics he's employed all season that have brought us to this point when for months it's been obvious they were never going to work

so in terms of how next season will pan out my prediction is either cisse or hba wonder-goal us up the table or they don't and we flounder or struggle, but yeah i'm hardly able to predict the future

That's an incredibly simple, and quite short sighted prediction. I can't accept that the sole reason for our successful year was 'wonder goals' from our better individuals. In fact, the very nature of the 'negative' argument implies that we'd be defensive. As we've seen this season, defensive tactics don't work without a well drilled team and an organised defence. I'd say that foundation, along with our creative players, was the reason for our success.

You think the problem with this season is that the defence wasn't well drilled or organised?

Buck stops with the manager for that, obviously. The lack of consistency, due injuries etc, in our back five has been a contributing factor though.

Yeah. It's odd though isn't it. Our defending's gotten worse but so has our  attacking game. Begs the question what do we actually work on in training. It's not set penises :lol:

Aye, it's baffling how we/he have gone backwards so dramtically. The unsettled nature of the season hasn't helped, and I do genuinely believe he's massively struggled with the additional games. He's a 'details' manager, and he hasn't had the time available to get his message accross to the players. If anything, I think he, as a manger, was even less prepared for Europe than the squad was. We did still get to the quarter finals, like, so that shouldn't be forgotten.

Was hardly difficult to get to the Qfs was it?

Did you think we'd struggle to get out of that group?

And then Anzhi in the middle of their winter break.

Benfica was the first decent team we played.

Aye, that's great and all, if the majority of you lot weren't saying we'd get beat of both Metalist and Anzhi at the time. :lol:

We did well but ultimately Anzhi were the only side we bested who ultimately could be classed as any good. Bordeaux finished ahead of us in the group stages and Benfica knocked us out.

Exactly, people are lead to believe we did well in Europe.  Who the fuck did we beat?  Anzhi as good as Chelsea? 

Guest icemanblue

We did well but ultimately Anzhi were the only side we bested who ultimately could be classed as any good. Bordeaux finished ahead of us in the group stages and Benfica knocked us out.

Exactly, people are lead to believe we did well in Europe.  Who the fuck did we beat?  Anzhi as good as Chelsea? 

This was bound to happen, like. It's exactly the same as how last season is being treat.

i didn't say we'd struggle badly again next season did i, though ok i could see how you might think that's what i meant....we may well struggle badly, we may have another push for europe, but either will be built on shite football and direct tactics with this joker running things

of that i am sure

I'd go one step further and say he's a 'details of the opposing team' manager. Hence quotes like 'when he's got the ball, that's his world' about HBA. From watching us I imagine that to be his approach with all our players, just try and score without moving out of your position.

The EL was fun but lets not kid ourselves, we got past one team that were any good.

Splitting hairs a bit, but I don't disagree. However, I obviously don't have as much of an issue with that approach as others. I think, with players like HBA, there isn't too much wrong in ensuring that he's doing his bit for the solidity of the team, while being given free reign to do what he does best when required.

With regards to the EL, granted, there wasn't a great deal of stellar opposition. But you can only beat what is in front of you.

You can only beat what is in front of you, credit is due based on the strength of the opposition you beat, we beat one good team :thup:

My problem is the players aren't given free reign. By his own admission Pardew's 'world' is what happens when his team don't have the ball. Due to this, when we do have the ball the players aren't allowed to move anywhere.

None of the players have any right to want out after this season, they need to suck it up and make amends for their rank performances.

:thup:

I can't think of anyone standing out all season in terms of overall performances.

Seriously, who's going to bid for anyone we have with the sort of crazy money we'd accept given that they've all been a shower of shit. Maybe Krul? But he wouldn't want to leave.

Other than Colo I can't foresee any major outgoings.

Prices usually come down when the player wants to leave.

i didn't say we'd struggle badly again next season did i, though ok i could see how you might think that's what i meant....we may well struggle badly, we may have another push for europe, but either will be built on s**** football and direct tactics with this joker running things

of that i am sure

Was hardly difficult to get to the Qfs was it?

Did you think we'd struggle to get out of that group?

And then Anzhi in the middle of their winter break.

Benfica was the first decent team we played.

Aye, that's great and all, if the majority of you lot weren't saying we'd get beat of both Metalist and Anzhi at the time. :lol:

Majority of me? You'd have to find that post from me unless you're just making crap up for the sake of it.

Good article by Douglas, hopefully the journalists will start asking him relevant and challenging questions about his style of play etc. They'll probably get the usual load of guff back but it might at least put the pressure on him a bit more to know that his methods are being questioned. I'm still fuming at that Shola sub, as if that useless gimp still plays in virtually every game for us.

It pisses me off more every time I think about it.

This season is basically last season without the absurdly good luck and defensive organization.

The luck, fine. But what the f*** happened to the organization. Do we not train anymore? Has everyone decided it was okay to stop trying?

Last year we had to play half the season each with Ryan Taylor at left back and Williamson at Center Back and we were still miles better at defending. What the f*** happened man.

Tell you what happened, what a lot of us have been saying mid point last season,  the way we played cant be sustained.

You can't have your fucking backs against the wall for 80 games running one straight after another and not suffer physical mental fatigue and apathy.

This was bound to happen, like. It's exactly the same as how last season is being treat.

That's more to do with the way we play than results.

If he's not going to get any credit for getting to a European QF then it's mental IMO. There are plenty of actual things to slag him off about.

He gets credit Ian, but it has to be relative to the achievement.

I agree. Nobody was saying it was equivalent to winning the Champions League or anything, but it was a decent achievement.