Thoughts on this summer's transfer window

Wallace
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Well the players are generally known to have the power & he stated he wanted to leave. That put us in a strong position. We'd still be in a strong position had he kicked up a fuss instead of them seemingly convincing him to stay there and remain happy even assumedly with Cabaye in his other ear.

So we were waiting for him to kick off and didn't move on because we thought that he would?  It happens but not every transfer goes that way.

This is going nowhere.

Facts:

1. We want Debuchy.

2. Debuchy wants to join NUFC.

3. We can afford to buy Debuchy.

4. We're not buying Debuchy.

5. I'm not f***ing happy about 4.

6. We dont know that Lille were ever realistically open to selling him atall in the first place

The club are willing to wait for players to get them at the right price. If we finish lower, it is of no consequence to Mike Ashley.

Making profits on players goes above everything else. We risked going out of Europe to preserve the fitness of potential sales.

We have sold one player for a profit who wasn't even bought to sell, we have sold or released a few others at a loss too, someone needs to remind Ashley to flog these players on for a profit because he is desperately shit at it so far given it's his objective.

Retailers often sell remaining stock at a loss to get rid.

They normally sell the odd thing at a profit though, one player in 5 years seems pretty poor considering how much we paid for our better players. Surely we could get at least three times what we paid for Tiote, Cabaye, Ben Arfa etc..?

The longer we hold on to them and have to pay them the profit must be being hammered away at?

I guess. But they're still mid twenties and on longish contracts. No panic to sell them.

Surely the panic to sell is the fact they will be on pretty big contracts that cost us millions a year each? Can't imagine you make much profit on a buy to sell player when you pay them as much as they cost each season for a number of years.

This is going nowhere.

Facts:

1. We want Debuchy.

6. We dont know that Lille were ever realistically open to selling him atall in the first place

Perhaps we should stop all discussion then, because we don't know everything. :rolleyes:

One thing that seems to have been completely missed today.

Looks like we're stuck with Xisco & Ranger on our books until at least January, nowhere near being picked no matter how serious the injury situation will get. :lol:

Guest bimpy474

But where would all go to debate with people we wouldn't say hello to in the street. And probably think are strange if they tried to strike up a conversation.

Well the players are generally known to have the power & he stated he wanted to leave. That put us in a strong position. We'd still be in a strong position had he kicked up a fuss instead of them seemingly convincing him to stay there and remain happy even assumedly with Cabaye in his other ear.

So we were waiting for him to kick off and didn't move on because we thought that he would?  It happens but not every transfer goes that way.

Seem to remember reports coming out later in the Debuchy saga that we did try for VDW and he didnt want to move with Anita. If Clyne was an option, he'd already gone before we knew we'd not get either. Im sure there are other options better than Simpson, but i imagine if you're serious about improving you'd save your money for someone much better rather than spend on a slight improvement wouldnt you. So its entirely realistic we ran out of scouted choices. Which backs up Pards "Happy at their clubs" statement.

This is going nowhere.

Facts:

1. We want Debuchy.

Perhaps we should stop all discussion then, because we don't know everything. :rolleyes:

You can carry on discussion over it, but cant really hold a massive amount of conviction about us doing something wrong when the details over it all are clearly dodgy.

This is going nowhere.

Facts:

1. We want Debuchy.

Identify someone else then!

Still not sure why the last thing he was told matters. Obviously he felt something wasn't right which is why he told the press he was being given contradictory information, is that something players normally do?

The club also said they won't let him leave until they had his replacement, they signed a right back but said he was too young to be his replacement, they didn't sign anyone else so I am not sure how it's obvious we didn't match their bid.

If they said themselves he won't leave until he is replaced and they didn't him why are some so certain he didn't leave because we refused to pay £500k-£1m?

I hate hypothetical scenarios but here goes. 

Seydoux:  Mathieu, you're not leaving until we bring in cover. 

Debuchy:  OK Seydoux, but I'm going when you bring another defender in. 

Seydoux:  Fair enough Mathieu, you can go when that happens.

Debuchy:  Seydoux, you've brought in a defender, can I leave now?

Seydoux:  No, Newcastle hasn’t matched the fee we are asking for you.

Lille literally had no reason to sell whatsoever if they thought they could keep Debuchy happy & i imagine they thought that as they managed to achieve it.

They didnt need the money & stated enough times a replacement of his quality would be very hard to find, why would they sell bar a ridiculous bid?

The club are willing to wait for players to get them at the right price. If we finish lower, it is of no consequence to Mike Ashley.

Making profits on players goes above everything else. We risked going out of Europe to preserve the fitness of potential sales.

We have sold one player for a profit who wasn't even bought to sell, we have sold or released a few others at a loss too, someone needs to remind Ashley to flog these players on for a profit because he is desperately shit at it so far given it's his objective.

Retailers often sell remaining stock at a loss to get rid.

They normally sell the odd thing at a profit though, one player in 5 years seems pretty poor considering how much we paid for our better players. Surely we could get at least three times what we paid for Tiote, Cabaye, Ben Arfa etc..?

The longer we hold on to them and have to pay them the profit must be being hammered away at?

I guess. But they're still mid twenties and on longish contracts. No panic to sell them.

Surely the panic to sell is the fact they will be on pretty big contracts that cost us millions a year each? Can't imagine you make much profit on a buy to sell player when you pay them as much as they cost each season for a number of years.

Makes perfect sense. I'm sure they'll factor all that into their decisions.

If we're blaming Lille for us not getting Debuchy, who are we blaming for all the other players we didn't get?

We should have had backup options as I said in my original post, so that would be us.

Lille literally had no reason to sell whatsoever if they thought they could keep Debuchy happy & i imagine they thought that as they managed to achieve it.

They didnt need the money & stated enough times a replacement of his quality would be very hard to find, why would they sell bar a ridiculous bid?

So why did we waste our time when, for example, Clyne was busy signing for Southampton for fuck all?

They named a fee, we didn't match it.  :dontknow:

The club came out and said the young lad wasn't a replacement and they were still searching though.

You don't know what was said to Debuchy, we do know the fee wasn't matched.

Debuchy said what he was told ffs! He was told contradictory reasons depending on who he spoke to.

Mike's apparently willing to write the next four months off so he can feel a bit smug about being an expert haggler.

The actual football always seems to come second to wheeler-dealing.

Probably similar to Shepherd's lack of care of whether we had a decent side; as long as he had a mega signing to feel like a big shot for a bit. All ego trip.

They named a fee, we didn't match it.  :dontknow:

Exactly. Let's not rewrite history here - he wanted to come and they were willing to sell.

So why did we waste our time when, for example, Clyne was busy signing for Southampton for f*** all?

How would we know we were wasting our time? All other players wanting to leave have ended up trying to join us & kicked up a fuss. We were in a strong position in regards to signing him when Clyne was signing for Southampton.