Thoughts on this summer's transfer window

Wallace
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Know quite a few Spurs fans who 'hate' AVB already :lol:

I hope we're not going to have to get used to losing our better players again because I doubt that they'll be looking at us today and thinking we're going places as a club.

Yes i imagine most of them wanted their position in the first team to be challenged or they think others are rubbish and need to be replaced. Cause we've heard so much about our poor team spirit and that. Defo not projecting a very cynical fans view onto the players thinking like that atall.

No it's not, it was a rare and fantastic season whatever happens, one that we'd struggle to better even with someone like Debuchy.

In the last 60 or 70 years we have bettered 5th what, 5 times?

Enjoy it ffs, don't dismiss the season as pointless because we didn't replace an average right back or pick up a backup striker.

You don't finish 5th and just think that it's job done though and we're unlikely to match that this season with our current squad and number of games to play.  Finishing 5th was totally unexpected and we should have tried to build on it and we haven't.  Bringing players in is easier when you qualify for Europe than it is when finishing in the chasing pack.

The ambition of the club goes no further than breaking even.

You're right, we could and should have at least signalled an attempt to push on.

To use that to do down the achievements of the last season is just laughable though.

Yes i imagine most of them wanted their position in the first team to be challenged or they think others are rubbish and need to be replaced. Cause we've heard so much about our poor team spirit and that. Defo not projecting a very cynical fans view onto the players thinking like that atall.

Do you seriously think our better players are happy to just plod on irrespective of where the club is heading?  Why do you think the top clubs get the better players if players aren’t bothered about trying to win things? 

You're right, we could and should have at least signalled an attempt to push on.

To use that to do down the achievements of the last season is just laughable though.

I don't think anybody was trying to down the achievements of last season.  I think it was more about our lack of ambition this season and our failure to try and move on from where we finished.

Hopefully we'll pull a signing out of nowhere this evening who will improve us and we'll all look daft, I doubt it though.

Ultimately what good has finishing 5th last season done us? Considering the manager has already been totally open about the actual competition we qualified for being far from our top priority, was there any benefit over finishing say 8th? The prize money difference isn't massive, and none of our players were desperate to get away beforehand. We didn't need to finish 5th before last season started.

The one big benefit is supposed to be that you can convince players new and old that you're close to and capable of doing something. Finishing top four, getting into the competition everyone really cares about. Building the club and trying to do it again. Trying to win something. Finishing higher up the league and getting into Europe gives you that extra exposure. Pardew has repeatedly stated that this is his aim. We took advantage of poor seasons from Chelsea and Liverpool to finish above them, something nobody expected.

And with the extra exposure and that unexpected advantage we've done nothing. We've just admitted to the world that it was a one-off, a flash in the pan. Finishing so high in the Premier League hasn't benefitted us in the slightest.

I agree to some extent, but ultimately the goal is to finish up as high as possible, and 5th is therefore better than 8th. Last season was a great achievement.

Obviously our lack of movement is very much against that goal, but the prize and the end of it all, is league positions & cups, and we achieved our best league position since proper ages ago.

Exactly, if you're going to ask questions like "why bother finishing 5th" you may as well admit that football is basically pointless. There are many achievements in football beyond getting into the Champions League.

We did extremely well last season and had a great time, to dismiss that because of a poor transfer window is idiotic.

Absolutely.

Why bother finishing 5th? Fkn hell.

Luckily nobody has asked that, certainly not me. Nice attempt though, both of you.

What were you asking then?

You said "Ultimately what good has finishing 5th last season done us?", and went on to say that we might as well have finished 8th for the good it has done us.

5th made all the difference. It was a flat out fantastic season, and gave me an unbelievable amount of pride coming above the likes of Chelsea, and yes, Liverpool and Sunderland.

For someone often having a go at the balance sheet brigade, you seem to take a very businesslike approach to what constitutes an achievement.

I have never said it doesn't constitute a great achievement. You've hastily erected a rather pitiful straw man.

I'm asking what difference it has made for the club going forward, over a hypothetical finish of 8th. What have we done to progress as a club that we couldn't have done had we finished 8th? Here's a tip: Cisse aside we signed all of the current brilliant first team off the back of finishing 12th. One of them was signed when we were in the Championship.

Whether we like it or not, Im sure there's no doubt finishing 5th has helped us keep all of our players here for a start.

I'm sure that's true but we haven't taken advantage of what we did and we could end up suffering for that.

Ultimately what good has finishing 5th last season done us? Considering the manager has already been totally open about the actual competition we qualified for being far from our top priority, was there any benefit over finishing say 8th? The prize money difference isn't massive, and none of our players were desperate to get away beforehand. We didn't need to finish 5th before last season started.

The one big benefit is supposed to be that you can convince players new and old that you're close to and capable of doing something. Finishing top four, getting into the competition everyone really cares about. Building the club and trying to do it again. Trying to win something. Finishing higher up the league and getting into Europe gives you that extra exposure. Pardew has repeatedly stated that this is his aim. We took advantage of poor seasons from Chelsea and Liverpool to finish above them, something nobody expected.

And with the extra exposure and that unexpected advantage we've done nothing. We've just admitted to the world that it was a one-off, a flash in the pan. Finishing so high in the Premier League hasn't benefitted us in the slightest.

I agree to some extent, but ultimately the goal is to finish up as high as possible, and 5th is therefore better than 8th. Last season was a great achievement.

Obviously our lack of movement is very much against that goal, but the prize and the end of it all, is league positions & cups, and we achieved our best league position since proper ages ago.

Exactly, if you're going to ask questions like "why bother finishing 5th" you may as well admit that football is basically pointless. There are many achievements in football beyond getting into the Champions League.

We did extremely well last season and had a great time, to dismiss that because of a poor transfer window is idiotic.

Absolutely.

Luckily nobody has asked that, certainly not me. Nice attempt though, both of you.

You said "Ultimately what good has finishing 5th last season done us?", and went on to say that we might as well have finished 8th for the good it has done us.

5th made all the difference. It was a flat out fantastic season, and gave me an unbelievable amount of pride coming above the likes of Chelsea, and yes, Liverpool and Sunderland.

For someone often having a go at the balance sheet brigade, you seem to take a very businesslike approach to what constitutes an achievement.

I have never said it doesn't constitute a great achievement. You've hastily erected a rather pitiful straw man.

I'm asking what difference it has made for the club going forward, over a hypothetical finish of 8th. What have we done to progress as a club that we couldn't have done had we finished 8th? Here's a tip: Cisse aside we signed all of the current brilliant first team off the back of finishing 12th. Some not even that.

By finishing 5th, I reckon the group of our key players truely believe together they can build on what we have. Finishing a hypothetical 8th, I think they would have been pushing for moves.

Think people are seriously underplaying how big an achievement it is that we've kept everyone together when you see our rivals have lost the likes of van der Vaart, Modric, van Persie, Song, etc.

By finishing 5th, I reckon the group of our key players truely believe together they can build on what we have. Finishing a hypothetical 8th, I think they would have been pushing for moves.

Think people are seriously underplaying how big an achievement it is that we've kept everyone together when you see our rivals have lost the likes of van der Vaart, Modric, van Persie, Song, etc.

Surely you're not trying to say finishing 5th is better than 4th and 3rd.  :lol:

Absolutely.

I'm asking what difference it has made for the club going forward, over a hypothetical finish of 8th. What have we done to progress as a club that we couldn't have done had we finished 8th? Here's a tip: Cisse aside we signed all of the current brilliant first team off the back of finishing 12th. Some not even that.

Why weren't they pushing for moves last summer then? Everyone already knew that some of our players could play for better sides. Or in the case of Cabaye and Ba, why join us in the first place?

Surely you're not trying to say finishing 5th is better than 4th and 3rd.  :lol:

How did you get that from that?  ???

Absolutely.

Why weren't they pushing for moves last summer then? Everyone could see that we had some very good players. Or in the case of Cabaye and Ba, why join us in the first place?

They came to play in Europe I guess, which they are doing.

How did you get that from that?  ???

You've used our 5th place finish as a reason for us keeping our better players while mentioning players leaving teams who finished above us.

Guest neesy111

I'd love to hear how Pardew has to explain why we haven't signed anybody else to cabaye etc today.  They'll have questions that they want answering.

Absolutely.

Why weren't they pushing for moves last summer then? Everyone could see that we had some very good players. Or in the case of Cabaye and Ba, why join us in the first place?

And if we slip away to 7th or 8th this season, do you think they'll still believe? Apart from obviously lessening the chances of that happening, showing some ambition would have helped to show the current team that we're serious about finishing as high up the league as realistically possible. Doing nothing now means we're almost certainly going to be in deep shit next summer IMO.

Let's be clear here: by showing ambition I mean spending around £12m. If that's going to bankrupt the club then perhaps Ashley's not running it quite as brilliantly as made out.

Absolutely.

Can't have been that big an achievement seeing as the Club said they had not received any bids for them. 

How anyone can say they are happy with our summer is beyond me.

Surly no one is happy.

I am happy we have not sold any first team players.

Underwhelmed with incoming, but Anita, Amalfitano & Bigi looks interesting. Marveaux will be good to have back. RB situation make me worried. Weak of the owner not to address it. So it is a average window, but not as catastrophic as some suggest.

Guest neesy111

How anyone can say they are happy with our summer is beyond me.

That would indeed be staggering.

Which is why precisely nobody is saying that as far as I can see.

The way some are cutting into people who are saying its been crap you'd think there is.

Absolutely.

And if we slip away to 7th or 8th this season, do you think they'll still believe? Apart from obviously lessening the chances of that happening, showing some ambition would have helped to show the current team that we're serious about finishing as high up the league as realistically possible. Doing nothing now means we're almost certainly going to be in deep s*** next summer IMO.

Let's be clear here: by showing ambition I mean spending around £12m. If that's going to bankrupt the club then perhaps Ashley's not running it quite as brilliantly as made out.

I don't think that will happen and if it does they'll be in their rights.

I also think we shouldn't just spend for the sake of it. I think it's clear Debuchy is the number one priority and will be come January. Sure, there'll be people who'll say there should be a plan B etc, but 4 words. "Bryan Ruiz, Papiss Cisse". Don't have a problem with hanging on if we think we can get the right player for the right deal again.