Thoughts on this summer's transfer window

Wallace
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'm pretty sure those players who worked their socks of last season would have expected some ambition from the club to push the club further and to allow the club to compete at all levels.  Standing still in football means going backwards in real terms especially in the premiership which evolves each and every year.

Exactly, they will dissapointed with the lack of activity.

Aye just like last summer when we failed to replace Carroll and that excuse was no doubt laughably used then only for us to go unbeaten for 11 games or whatever.........

We signed Ba.

So the club and manager never once made any reference to the fact we would reinvest the Carroll money for another striker to replace him? Ba isnt an answer ffs considering that Cisse was the eventual replacement.

The money was invested in all areas though, this time we have done nothing in the key areas we needed.

Guest Roger Kint

I'm pretty sure those players who worked their socks of last season would have expected some ambition from the club to push the club further and to allow the club to compete at all levels.  Standing still in football means going backwards in real terms especially in the premiership which evolves each and every year.

Aye just like last summer when we failed to replace Carroll and that excuse was no doubt laughably used then only for us to go unbeaten for 11 games or whatever.........

We signed Ba.

So the club and manager never once made any reference to the fact we would reinvest the Carroll money for another striker to replace him? Ba isnt an answer ffs considering that Cisse was the eventual replacement.

The money was invested in all areas though, this time we have done nothing in the key areas we needed.

Stop ignoring the point. The club and Pardew made endless statements about replacing Carroll and this forum wasnt happy we didnt.

Would love to know how many of the people who are complaining about the lack of transfer activity are the same people who:

objected to the sacking of Hughton and predicted a disastrous season for us;

complained about Pardew's appointment and predicted a disastrous season for us;

complained about the sale of Carroll;

stated that selling Nolan and Barton and replacing them the likes of Cabaye would mean a relegation battle; and

complained about our style of football last season even when unbeaten for however many games it was.

As a quick caveat, I am disappointed we haven't signed additional players.  I think everyone is.

Absolutely detest wanting players in being described as "negativity".

It's the complete opposite of that, it's wanting the team to improve. Hindu, you're always saying "I just like watching us play" - so why offer views on the window if you're actually not that bothered about us pushing on? That's as negative a view as you can have IMO.

Personally I like watching us win more than play.

Everyone wants players in.

FWIW we won rather a lot with our current team.

Yes we did which is why everyone else is trying to improve their squads but we've not bothered.

What's an acceptable league finish to you? If it's lower than fifth then of choose you'll be happy with the window because you're comfortable with us being worse off. That's fine. But why do you have such a problem with those who want us to be better?

I don't have any problem with people who want us to be better, I just think we could do without the negativity around a team which is the best I've seen for ages, and an owner who slowly seems to be doing things better. Just seems like people love to have a go at times, that's all.

It's a good question on league position, I honestly don't know. It depends how we play and if we deliver some brilliant moments like last season. We seemed to be very happy with last season, and it was beyond most people's expectations. Therefore I don't think we should automatically be considered a failure if we don't improve on it. I think it's a mistake to realign expectations that quickly.

I don't really enjoy arguing with fellow fans in this way, we all just love the club. I just naturally like to see the positives, especially when there are so many around the club at the moment.

We signed Ba.

Stop ignoring the point. The club and Pardew made endless statements about replacing Carroll and this forum wasnt happy we didnt.

Pardew certainly did yes, we certainly got lucky with it, and made a great start, which in turn led to a great season. That doesn't mean it will work the same again, the league on a whole has gotten alot stronger.

Guest Roger Kint

We signed Ba.

Pardew certainly did yes, we certainly got lucky with it, and made a great start, which in turn led to a great season. That doesn't mean it will work the same again, the league on a whole has gotten alot stronger.

That wasnt the point you made. You said they would be upset at the summer transfers/lack of ambition when its rubbish to suggest it. The fact the previous summer had a similar thing(and after the Carroll sale for that matter) and we got on with it like normal adults says far more than your amateur psychology

We signed Ba.

That wasnt the point you made. You said they would be upset at the summer transfers/lack of ambition when its rubbish to suggest it. The fact the previous summer had a similar thing(and after the Carroll sale for that matter) and we got on with it like normal adults says far more than your amateur psychology

Wasn't that one of the reasons Enrique wanted to leave?

Guest Roger Kint

We signed Ba.

Enrique was itching to leave from before then to be honest. Hanson announced it well before the Carroll sale iirc

We signed Ba.

There certainly was a reaction after the Carroll sale, Barton and Nolan both questioned the club, and the best LB we ever had at the club left for Liverpool in the summer questioning our ambition. The game after Carroll left was one of the worst in recent seasons in a spineless display against fulham, we then went 4-0 down to Arsenal, and somehow came back. Pardew openly admitted that in both of them games the players were down after Carroll had left.

Last summer despite not replacing Carroll directly, the squad was well strengthened.

One of the reasons he said. Players talk shite in press conferences/papers all the time. Enrique got a better contract with a club which has more historical success and was spending a shitload. He thought he'd have a better chance of getting into the Spain squad.

We're a much better team now and have quality throughout the squad rather than 3 players or so when he was around. There's no problem with ambition at the club. We finished 5th last season when we were in the championship 09/10

Guest Roger Kint

We signed Ba.

There certainly was a reaction after the Carroll sale, Barton and Nolan both questioned the club, and the best LB we ever had at the club left for Liverpool in the summer questioning our ambition. The game after Carroll left was one of the worst in recent seasons in a spineless display against fulham, we then went 4-0 down to Arsenal, and somehow came back. Pardew openly admitted that in both of them games the players were down after Carroll had left.

Last summer despite not replacing Carroll directly, the squad was well strengthened.

Again the POINT being that people made the same ambition argument and nothing bad happened last season. Best to walk away from you, clearly on a wind up :lol:

Guest Roger Kint

Logic only works negatively Roger, you need to learn.

Very true. This whole deadline day thing is spoiling Europa Cup day for me

I just think we're going to get left behind at this rate, even fucking Everton are making more signings than us, Everton!

We must be the only club that get into a European competition and end up with more players leaving than joining, ridiculous.

We signed Ba.

Again the POINT being that people made the same ambition argument and nothing bad happened last season. Best to walk away from you, clearly on a wind up :lol:

I am saying that we showed enough ambition in the signings we made last summer, this summer have handing out new contracts to Colo and Krul as well as the signing of Cisse in January, we have failed to show ambition.

You can't comare the two summers anyway, last summer we had no real hopes of achieving anything, this summer we had a real chance to push on for the top 4 and a good run in europe. The lack of ambition this summer is certainly more evident than last.

People are saying that our rivals are leaving us behind, since when? The teams around us are losing key players at the same rate they gain them as far as I can see like.

There's no point in arguing with logic, wait for the table to speak for itself. We're going to have a good season

You said it was rubbish to suggest the players might be upset about the lack of ambition and they'd just get on with it like normal adults.  In the situation you mentioned it ended up with us losing Enrique and Barton and the club captain publically criticising the club leadership.  Doesn't sound like 'just getting on with it' to me.

Guest Roger Kint

You said it was rubbish to suggest the players might be upset about the lack of ambition and they'd just get on with it like normal adults.  In the situation you mentioned it ended up with us losing Enrique and Barton and the club captain publically criticising the club leadership.  Doesn't sound like 'just getting on with it' to me.

My main point throughout was about last summer as you well know. You will also know that those players had left by then. We were a second half disgrace from 9th in that Carroll season so your point isnt even that sound, its already been said Enrique wasnt directly due to that anyway.

If anyone had suggested at the end of last season that we wouldn't sign a single player this summer to improve the existing first team they'd have been absolutely slaughtered by the same people who are now claiming it's not a big problem. In fact that probably happened.