Nail your colours to the mast - where will we finish?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The "deluded" mark comes from somewhere. :lol:

8th is the most optimistic position I can predict granted that we aim to go far in the uefa cup and don´t leave it over to the second string to sort the group stages out.

Guest Roy the Irish Magpie

The "deluded" mark comes from somewhere. :lol:

8th is the most optimistic position I can predict granted that we aim to go far in the uefa cup and don´t leave it over to the second string to sort the group stages out.

You're saying 8th is the best we can hope for even though we finished 13 points above that position last season and still have the same team that did so this season?

I think 7th or 8th, voted 7th.

Shame because even having bought Debuchy I think we could have pushed on, as it would have at least given us some sort of boost on the last day.

We do look really weak up top in the event of even 1 injury.

Think it will depend largely on how our players view this summer, i.e. are they going to get disillusioned at the lack of incomings? Although, to be honest, we had a great season last year, and have not lost any key members of the team, so with an extra year of bonding, why can we not do just as good?

Sometimes it's best not to expect the world, we just might be pleasantly surprised.

Santon has a years PL experience, Ben Arfa is starting from the get-go, Cisse is here from the start, with any luck Steven Taylor will play a full season, Marveaux is fit, Hell even Cabaye has a years PL experience behind him now. Plus the whole team has a years experience of playing together. We haven't brought much in, but we should be a more coherent team this season.

Can I change my prediction...looking at it like that, I really don't see why we can't do another 5th place finish. Think top 4 is still out of reach, but why should we fear anyone?

I can see it being a scrap amongst 6 or 7 teams for places 4-10.

Chelsea, Man City and Man Utd should be well clear of the rest.

Arsenal, Spurs, Us, Everton and Liverpool will obviously be tipped to fight it out for the next few spots but I can see clubs like Fulham, Swansea, West Brom and, god forbid, Sunderland making a push for the European places. Obviously injuries and cup runs will play a part for every team. I think it has the potential to be a really exciting season.

If I had to have a guess now, I'd have us in for 7th.

Having finished 5th last year, we were in the perfect situation to "kick on" with a bit of effort, ambition, planning and investment - into the Champions League places.

It didn't require "a lot" of any of the above either, because of the standard we had already reached.

So, either 3rd or 4th (with the above) was "more likely than not".

Now, after a (Lord Westwood / Gordon McKeag - "style") deliberate policy decision at the top being clearly taken NOT to participate in the potential stress and effort caused by expectation and possibly "striving with might and main" to ACHIEVE (revealed by our Transfer Policy this summer) then 7th is our MAXIMUM position.

OTHER clubs have taken 'different' decisions, so (for example) if Everton build up as they look like they might, then that 7th could even be 8th . . . or lower!

I stress, "7th or 8th" are our maximums, now!!

Those who were around under Westwood and McKeag (ultimate ambition being 'upper mid table and/or survival') prior to the SJH era - will know exactly what I mean.

Having finished 5th last year, we were in the perfect situation to "kick on" with a bit of effort, ambition, planning and investment - into the Champions League places.

It didn't require "a lot" of any of the above either, because of the standard we had already reached.

Now, after a (Lord Westwood / Gordon McKeag - "style") deliberate policy decision at the top being clearly taken NOT to participate in the potential stress and effort caused by expectation and possibly "striving with might and main" to ACHIEVE . . . then 7th is our MAXIMUM position.

If Everton build up as they look like they might, then that 7th could even be 8th.

Those who were around under Westwood and McKeag (ultimate ambition being 'upper mid table and/or survival') prior to the SJH era - will know exactly what I mean.

Keep taking your meds mate :) it will all be fine, or we can win championship again :)

Now, after a (Lord Westwood / Gordon McKeag - "style") deliberate policy decision at the top being clearly taken NOT to participate in the potential stress and effort caused by expectation and possibly "striving with might and main" to ACHIEVE (revealed by our Transfer Policy this summer) then 7th is our MAXIMUM position.

OTHER clubs have taken 'different' decisions, so (for example) if Everton build up as they look like they might, then that 7th could even be 8th . . . or lower!

Keep taking your meds mate :) it will all be fine, or we can win championship again :)

You disagree with the straightforward Logic?

Guest Brazilianbob

10th because I agree we will be behind the Manchester clubs and arsenal Chelsea spurs Everton if qpr click they could do well and I do like the Soton manager so they might surprise a few, but I have to say my main concern is the mackems.  They have the nucleus of a good side and if cisse and Ba don't produce goals like last season we could end up behind the mackems

Now, after a (Lord Westwood / Gordon McKeag - "style") deliberate policy decision at the top being clearly taken NOT to participate in the potential stress and effort caused by expectation and possibly "striving with might and main" to ACHIEVE . . . then 7th is our MAXIMUM position.

If Everton build up as they look like they might, then that 7th could even be 8th.

Everton and Liverpool do not have better squads than us, everton strengthened with mirralas but already had piennar at end of last season, Liverpool are light weight in a few areas, who else will challenge - Fulham n Swansea my guesses but consistency will be their issues. Also above us Chelsea, man u, city and spurs have spent a fortune, spurs may or may not be improved but have spent quite a bit after selling 2 of their best players something no one on here would accept us doing. Arsenal look much weaker losing their best 2 players. Chelsea I am unsure about, they have bought big but time will tell if they may be a bit lightweight.

Teams like qpr, scum, west ham have bought but needed to they were shocking, we aren't, now I may be totally wrong and have been pessimistic in past but choose now to look at the positives for us as we know transfer window never works for us

4th.

Pardew said he wants to finish there and I have to say that I'm quite confident that he know's what he's doing.

No major signings obviously were a blow but we've got Marveaux, Taylor and Ben Arfa fully fit and available now and Cisse from the beginning of the season.

Was thinking 8th but decided on 9th... Reasons for that being last season as great as it was in the league we really struggle to make goal scoring chances... I just can't envisage us taking such a percentage of what few we make... Considering how many games we won by the odd goal and other teams around us strengthening will have an impact... I disagree with AP when he said Anita will take us to another level... Personally i  thought 2 more defenders comfortable on the ball and going forward and with larger threat from set-pieces would've... (Debuchy/Douglas)

And finally last season I felt we got what money can't buy... Those little breaks... Since following us in 82 i can't recall a season when those little moments arise in games and they go your way... Last season I felt watching us we got the majority of those little moments...

I hope I'm wrong but feel this transfer window may be regretted... Who knows... Football makes a mug of everyone... But its a big ask for us to keep so many clean sheets again and without them i think we will struggle...

Guest SweMatt

Man City, Man United, Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal should all do better than us this season. Top-half competition should include Everton, Liverpool, Swansea (I said this before their great start) and Fulham.