Nail your colours to the mast - where will we finish?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

we played quite a few games understrength in some way or other last year, and we only really hit on a formula which won games and was also great to watch relatively late in the season.  add the hoped for extra contribution of players who will be playing their second season in our side/squad, and i'm getting more confident that we can match last season.

todays results, whilst just for one set of games, also give the lie to the idea that spurs/everton/fulham will be stronger this time around.

fingers crossed, anyway

Guest neesy111

Well Spurs and Everton were less than convincing today; Arsenal will struggle. I'm going for another 5th with 4th definitely up for grabs!

Tbf, we haven't looked convincing as well.

Having finished 5th last year, we were in the perfect situation to "kick on" with a bit of effort, ambition, planning and investment - into the Champions League places.

It didn't require "a lot" of any of the above either, because of the standard we had already reached.

So, either 3rd or 4th (with the above) was "more likely than not".

Now, after a (Lord Westwood / Gordon McKeag - "style") deliberate policy decision at the top being clearly taken NOT to participate in the potential stress and effort caused by expectation and possibly "striving with might and main" to ACHIEVE (revealed by our Transfer Policy this summer) then 7th is our MAXIMUM position.

OTHER clubs have taken 'different' decisions, so (for example) if Everton build up as they look like they might, then that 7th could even be 8th . . . or lower!

I stress, "7th or 8th" are our maximums, now!!

Those who were around under Westwood and McKeag (ultimate ambition being 'upper mid table and/or survival') prior to the SJH era - will know exactly what I mean.

Keep taking your meds mate :) it will all be fine, or we can win championship again :)

You disagree with the straightforward Logic?

I am straighforward but I think you'll find I have not commented.

Everton will surprise a few this season, bought well in the transfer window.

Have they though? They lost their most promising young player and one of their main goal threats (granted on the decline), and signed Naismith on a free, Pienaar who was already there, and Mirallas (plus a few squad players like us). Not much stronger if any, than us imo.

Does anyone else sometimes feel like the entire league has pretty much collectively forgotten where we finished last season? It's like they've all completely written us off. Gone with 5th personally, Arsenal will probably be better than us if their new signings gel nicely but I think Liverpool and Spurs have both weakened and could pretty much collapse under their respective managers this season. Everton look good and might be in the mixer but I think we've got as good a chance as any tbh.

Having finished 5th last year, we were in the perfect situation to "kick on" with a bit of effort, ambition, planning and investment - into the Champions League places.

It didn't require "a lot" of any of the above either, because of the standard we had already reached.

So, either 3rd or 4th (with the above) was "more likely than not".

Now, after a (Lord Westwood / Gordon McKeag - "style") deliberate policy decision at the top being clearly taken NOT to participate in the potential stress and effort caused by expectation and possibly "striving with might and main" to ACHIEVE (revealed by our Transfer Policy this summer) then 7th is our MAXIMUM position.

OTHER clubs have taken 'different' decisions, so (for example) if Everton build up as they look like they might, then that 7th could even be 8th . . . or lower!

I stress, "7th or 8th" are our maximums, now!!

Those who were around under Westwood and McKeag (ultimate ambition being 'upper mid table and/or survival') prior to the SJH era - will know exactly what I mean.

Keep taking your meds mate :) it will all be fine, or we can win championship again :)

You disagree with the straightforward Logic?

I am straighforward but I think you'll find I have not commented.

Did I say you had?

Everton will surprise a few this season, bought well in the transfer window.

Have they though? They lost their most promising young player and one of their main goal threats (granted on the decline), and signed Naismith on a free, Pienaar who was already there, and Mirallas (plus a few squad players like us). Not much stronger if any, than us imo.

As I said earlier - Everton are being massively overrated by people.  Their starting XI really isn't that good.

Does anyone else sometimes feel like the entire league has pretty much collectively forgotten where we finished last season? It's like they've all completely written us off. Gone with 5th personally, Arsenal will probably be better than us if their new signings gel nicely but I think Liverpool and Spurs have both weakened and could pretty much collapse under their respective managers this season. Everton look good and might be in the mixer but I think we've got as good a chance as any tbh.

Absolutely.  I've lost count of the number of times I have heard pundits talk about the top 6 from last season and include Liverpool in that but not us.