Set Pieces

Segun Oluwaniyi

I wonder how many goals we'd score if we took 100 consecutive corners? Less than 10 I'd guess.

Pardew and the coaching staff looked at our set pieces in the off season as they'd identified that we rarely score from them. We need to look again. Beating the first man would be a start!

corners are shocking and the free kicks are even worse.

why do why keep hoofing it into the box when we never create anything from it?

f***ing disgusting.

can't believe pards doesn't see this.

He does see it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19455573

Hmmm, Newcastle manager Alan Pardew is clearly a bit frustrated - to say the least - by his side's display in their draw with Aston Villa.

"I can't say that we deserved to win and you could argue that Villa did," Pardew explained. "We were a bit funny today, we lacked discipline and our set-plays were awful.

"It was a nightmare from a coaching point of view. We were better in the second half but they still had chances. Both managers probably walk away and think a point is fair but we won't come across many teams that will work as hard as Villa did."

I don't know, but at a guess I'd say there's less than one goal a week direct from corners in the Premier League. They aren't as likely to lead to a goal as people think.

Hitting the first man I can sort of forgive, because for a corner to be dangerous it has to be whipped in just above the defenders head. The margin for error is pretty small.

Would like us to be better obviously, hoping Saylor can start getting his head to things.

3 corner takers and they all hit the first man. If I was our centre backs I wouldn't waste the effort getting up the pitch. We shouldn't play for corners. We have more chance getting on the ball from the oppositions goal kicks.

Guest neesy111

I don't know, but at a guess I'd say there's less than one goal a week direct from corners in the Premier League. They aren't as likely to lead to a goal as people think.

Hitting the first man I can sort of forgive, because for a corner to be dangerous it has to be whipped in just above the defenders head. The margin for error is pretty small.

Would like us to be better obviously, hoping Saylor can start getting his head to things.

The facts are we were the worse team in the league last season at corners, we still look the worst by far.

Guest neesy111

marveaux corners were decent the other night

cant understand yohans problem with beating the first man

is this sarcasm?

Don't know whst game Wilson was watching mind.

The facts are we were the worse team in the league last season at corners, we still look the worst by far.

You know everything I say isn't to make some sort of wider point about how amazing everything connected to NUFC is.

I was just wondering about how much we should expect to score from corners.

Guest bimpy474

That and we never try anything different. Never short or anything out of the ordinary.

Remember the 2 headers Colo nearly scored with, they were brilliant corners. Pardew needs to sort it out, its not as if its only just started to happen. Its been like this since he joined. Hoping its not his limitations beginning to show.

marveaux corners were decent the other night

cant understand yohans problem with beating the first man

is this sarcasm?

Don't know whst game Wilson was watching mind.

Many of them were good, much better than today anyway. The good ones just normally ended up in a freekick to the opposition.

That and we never try anything different. Never short or anything out of the ordinary.

Remember the 2 headers Colo nearly scored with, they were brilliant corners. Pardew needs to sort it out, its not as if its only just started to happen. Its been like this since he joined. Hoping its not his limitations beginning to show.

It's the limitations of players supposedly worth £20m.

Don't understand how Cabaye, a technically gifted player, can fail to deliver a corner at a reasonable height. Every time  :sigh:

I don't understand how any professional footballer can fail to beat the first man to the extent that seems to occur.  It's baffling - I am sure I could do it when I used to play football, so why can't they?  Am I missing something?