Rotten behaviour from Mags down the years

Big Geordie

Phil K - for me it's good to look back and reflect on the past, because it gives an insight for the younger supporters of how it used to be. Also that the problems that we all saw haven't really disappeared - they have merely moved outside of the ground to some extent (although perhaps not as bad as it used to be) It's also all very well to make fun and point out the unacceptable at what goes on down the road (particularly on RTG) without also admitting we have similar issues.

Just be thankful that this place isn't like RTG, where it seems owt goes and is accepted by the masses.

Phil K - for me it's good to look back and reflect on the past, because it gives an insight for the younger supporters of how it used to be. Also that the problems that we all saw haven't really disappeared - they have merely moved outside of the ground to some extent (although perhaps not as bad as it used to be) It's also all very well to make fun and point out the unacceptable at what goes on down the road (particularly on RTG) without also admitting we have similar issues.

Just be thankful that this place isn't like RTG, where it seems owt goes and is accepted by the masses.

:thup: Like gbandit, I'm too young and add too far away to have experienced any of this. This thread has been a very interesting read, negative stories or not. No one's saying NUFC have a predominantly despicable set of fans. No one's using these incidents as a 'yardstick'. Interesting that this thread gets labelled as 'RTG-tastic' when such defensive responses like that, just because people dare to mention the minority ugly side of their own club's fanbase, is much more RTG.

Amazing to think now that I was allowed to follow Newcastle away as a young teenager in the 80s. Went to all away games in London and the south east - including Millwall, West Ham and Chelsea. Witnessed serious bother at all three as well as at Tottenham and Portsmouth, and wasn't far off being crushed to death in the FA Cup at Spurs in '87. Think Hillsborough opened my parents' eyes to just what could have been, but by then I had left home.

The racism seemed to just come with the territory back then though. I didn't join in with the chanting (one song that sticks in the memory was "Zigger, zigger, zigger, shoot that n*gger, join the National Front") but I didn't speak out about it either. Not when it seemed at least half of the away end were at it.

Aren't most people just sharing experiences and telling stories about how it used to be? It's great as a younger fan to hear about it. Really like this thread

Well, thats probably the best way to look at it, I suppose.  O0

Phil K - for me it's good to look back and reflect on the past, because it gives an insight for the younger supporters of how it used to be.

Been talked round to the benefits of this, I have !  :)  ;)

Amazing to think now that I was allowed to follow Newcastle away as a young teenager in the 80s. Went to all away games in London and the south east - including Millwall, West Ham and Chelsea. Witnessed serious bother at all three as well as at Tottenham and Portsmouth, and wasn't far off being crushed to death in the FA Cup at Spurs in '87. Think Hillsborough opened my parents' eyes to just what could have been, but by then I had left home.

The racism seemed to just come with the territory back then though. I didn't join in with the chanting (one song that sticks in the memory was "Zigger, zigger, zigger, shoot that n*gger, join the National Front") but I didn't speak out about it either. Not when it seemed at least half of the away end were at it.

Thought it was 'trigger'

was at many away games round that time. jumping trains and stuff. couldnt imagine my own kids- now that age going to the places and getting up to what I did. :kasper:

edit- National front outside the stadium was pretty usual stuff. one shoved a leaflet in my hand and i dropped it like everyone else was- but cos I was a youngun a bastard of a policemen picked me off the ground by my neck and made me pick it back up.

Anybody remember the thing about 'Taking the home end' at away games. Usually a few doz boys would go in the home fans end and leave during the first half , with a sort of victory parade down the side of the pitch. Seen it at Anfield, Old Trafford, Leeds. and Famously at Roker in 85.

Remember my first match mid 90's vs Palace at SJP where my parents bought me tickets for my birthday, it was a treat and couldn't afford it often.  Unfortunately it was ruined by a babbling racist ion his 50's who my Mam kindly asked to tone it down to which she got a mouthful - obviously my Dad kicked off resulting in a scuffle.  Me being 8ish I was shit scared.  Makes me watch my mouth (swear words only) at matches to this day.

More recently, West Ham away in 07/08 season I think, outside a pub was a horrible atmosphere.  Birmingham on my first visit, 2002 the 'Town full of pakis' chant got aired.  Villa away when we got relegated was definitely worst I've experience with 'fans' giving racist abuse to any passer by from the buses, the bus I noticed later had a gollywog at the front, felt uncomfortable all the way home. 

Luckily, not much else, other then drivel of some idiot nearby making sly comments about Shola or any other black player they can remember the name of.  Always find pre-match bars much worse than in the actual ground.

At away games, you always find that the bars closest to the ground will be full of Toon charvas. Much better craic just getting off the beaten track. I've no desire to be showered by beer whilst a bunch of topless teenagers sing "Your town is a shithole, I want to go home."

At away games, you always find that the bars closest to the ground will be full of Toon charvas. Much better craic just getting off the beaten track. I've no desire to be showered by beer whilst a bunch of topless teenagers sing "Your town is a shithole, I want to go home."

Aye, the irony of malnourished little bastards from council estates in South Shields singing 'Manchester's a shithole'.

Thought it was 'trigger'

I was trying to fit it to a Spice Girls tune.

Where do these little bastards get the money from to travel to away games? Do they save all of their benefits up or something? As I said earlier - it's gonna be up to our wiser fans to police the knackers and let them know what's unacceptable.

I guess this is the only way really. Will need a rather large group to combat the many knackers though.

As mentioned by Tsunami, the New Year's Day derby game was the worst racism I've ever heard at SJP. Their 2 blacks lads were sent off and got dogs abuse, some of the songs being sung were an absolute disgrace. Definitely not our finest hour.

I was there at the petrol bomb game agaisnt the Hammers, and also at Zoots a few years later when they supposedly got their revenge......although anyone who has seen the Cass Pennant film, it was nowt like that.

I've seen some pretty bad stuff from our lot on the road (Carlisle, Ashby de la Zouch, Wakefield etc. etc.) and also the parrot on the fire at Barnsley (iirc) wasn't exactly what you call PC.

I'm glad I got to experience those times, but wouldn't go back for anything.

What actually happened then?

Can kind of see there take fomo 40 seconds

When I started to go in '86 racism was everywhere in UK, not only in or around football grounds. Anyone who stood out for some reason got their share of the abuse. Overall tolerance and acceptance was just not anywhere near today. I had long-ish blonde hair myself and in those days it was not common to see Scandinavians up north. I can't even remember how many times people wanted to pick a fight in a night club just because I looked different. I was a girl, a puff - you name it - and I was/am 6ft2. Can you imagine that happening today (unless of course the handsome Scandinavian just stole a lass from someone?  :azn:).

However, I never once got personally offended by this, and I didn't get into any fights (I had to buy many people pints though). It was just "normal" behaviour and many of the "idiots" became friends.

Having said that, I did find it very uncomfortable with the racial abuse around coloured people.

The atmosphere at Gallowgate in late 80´s and early 90´s was just amazing though. The pre-game drinking with passing on pints outside Strawberry, the god-forsaken toilets, the mayhem after a scored goal (you could find yourself on the other side of the stand when the celebration calmed down) - the brain has a funny way of selecting and treasuring those moments. Today I am very happy for my comfy seat in the same stand, and the atmosphere can be just as good.  :)

Aye, the irony of malnourished little bastards from council estates in South Shields singing 'Manchester's a shithole'.

Cotton and guns. Not much gun crime in South Shields, tbf.