How highly do you rate... Robert Pires?

Beren

He scored in every round pretty much, didn't he? Who in the world could do that now?

Same as Ronaldo I think there might have been on game in which they both didn't score in. Ronaldo's was England iirc.

He scored in every round pretty much, didn't he? Who in the world could do that now?

Same as Ronaldo I think there might have been on game in which they both didn't score in. Ronaldo's was England iirc.

Ronaldo didn't score against England and Rivaldo failed to score in the last two games. Rivaldo scored in 5 straight World Cup games though.

Even though everyone regards the 2002 World Cup as Ronaldo's I thought that he was player of the tournament.

Same, i know Ronaldo scored all those goals but the main reason for that was that ridiculous supply line behind him.

Dinho, Rivaldo, Carlos and Cafu ffs and i felt Rivaldo was the main supply line and as mentioned he scored a load himself.

Ridiculous player and what a ridiculous team that was.

Even though everyone regards the 2002 World Cup as Ronaldo's I thought that he was player of the tournament.

Same, i know Ronaldo scored all those goals but the main reason for that was that ridiculous supply line behind him.

Dinho, Rivaldo, Carlos and Cafu ffs and i felt Rivaldo was the main supply line and as mentioned he scored a load himself.

Ridiculous player and what a ridiculous team that was.

Mental that Kleberson and Juninho both got games in it too.

Emerson was class back then as well, really underrated in his prime.

Emerson never played in the World Cup however, and Juninho was pure class even if Kleberson and Gilberto Silva were the starters in that midfield.

Rivaldo was without a doubt the 2002 WC player of the tournament. Kahn only got it because Germany came 2nd and Ronaldo got best player that year because of everything he went through and came back from. Rivaldo was however the most important player of that team. He was everywhere, helping defensively, scoring goals, setting up goals and getting people sent off :lol: Was immense in that tournament.

Emerson never played in the World Cup however, and Juninho was pure class even if Kleberson and Gilberto Silva were the starters in that midfield.

Rivaldo was without a doubt the 2002 WC player of the tournament. Kahn only got it because Germany came 2nd and Ronaldo got best player that year because of everything he went through and came back from. Rivaldo was however the most important player of that team. He was everywhere, helping defensively, scoring goals, setting up goals and getting people sent off :lol: Was immense in that tournament.

Juninho was electric before he broke his ankle at Athletico Madrid but he was never the same player after that.

Didn't Emerson have a thigh injury or something that ruled him out of the tournament? A young Lucio as well, what a monster of a centre half he has been.

Wasn't it Lucio/Edmilson/Roque Junior as your central defenders in that tournament?

Juninho was electric before he broke his ankle at Athletico Madrid but he was never the same player after that.

Didn't Emerson have a thigh injury or something that ruled him out of the tournament? A young Lucio as well, what a monster of a centre half he has been.

Wasn't it Lucio/Edmilson/Roque Junior as your central defenders in that tournament?

Edmilson! Fuck me! Weren't we meant to be going for him under fat sam?

Does anyone think now Scolari is back he will try to recreate the 3-4-3 with the current team?

He's got the CB's, fullbacks and CM's to make it work, in fact the CM's and CB's are probably better now but i don't think the front 3 is good enough to work successfully.

Everybody knows how much I love Ronaldo but it was brilliant to see him score those two goals in the World Cup final, total magic which is what football is all about.

Also was class to see Hamann loose the ball and try and claim a foul in the buildup to one of the goals as well.

Does anyone think now Scolari is back he will try to recreate the 3-4-3 with the current team?

He's got the CB's, fullbacks and CM's to make it work, in fact the CM's and CB's are probably better now but i don't think the front 3 is good enough to work successfully.

I think it depends on what front three he wants to go for. Leandro will score goals but I don't think he's quite at that level they need if he wants something a bit more fluid. They're going to be heavy reliant on Neymar, although the potential of Lucas' and some of that team is frightening. Either way they've made the right appointment and they will be there or there abouts.

Felipao will know, but are there any surprise packages coming through to watch out for that could make a surge to be in the squad for 2014? From a neutral's perspective though it will be great to see Brazil returning to their traditional style rather than watching the way they played under Dunga, Parreira and Menezes.

Edmilson! f*** me! Weren't we meant to be going for him under fat sam?

Correct. I believe they flew out to speak to him personally when he was injured at the time.

Guest Howaythetoon

Hagi was for me a brilliant individual who was great to watch but never quite become the player his outrageous ability probably deserved or could have taken him. I'd categorise him in the same bracket of player as Di Canio.

Rivaldo was something else, a sublime player with great vision who glided across the pitch with ease despite a lack of real pace. He was such an elegant player to watch, full of tricks and imagination. That wasn't always the best Barcelona side but he made them tick and often carried them. Imagine him in the current Barca side? Rivaldo will never be considered as a world great though, not in the same vein as your Zidane's et al anyway but he certainly was one of the best players of his generation, easily. Having said all that, whenever I would watch him you felt there was a whole lot more to his game and more that he could do, for some reason. In that sense, he could be disappointing.

Felipao will know, but are there any surprise packages coming through to watch out for that could make a surge to be in the squad for 2014? From a neutral's perspective though it will be great to see Brazil returning to their traditional style rather than watching the way they played under Dunga, Parreira and Menezes.

At the moment in terms of young players I don't see anyone coming into the squad. Surprise packages, well considering they haven't been in the team for a long time might be Julio Cesar as well as Hernanes. Although I rate Diego Alves as the number 1 goalkeeper from the country along with Jefferson from Botafogo as number 2. I think Rafael and Julio Cesar will end up fighting for that nr3 spot and it all depends whether you want to give a young one like Rafael the experience or have the experience in Julio Cesar.

Also to answer the quesiton from the post before, I think we might return to the old 3-4-3 considering the players we have at our disposal.

You have Marcelo and Dani Alves to replace Cafu and Carlos. You have Ramires to replace Kleberson, Sandro/Lucas/Fernandinho to replace Gilberto Silva as well as Oscar, Neymar and then the striker to replace the old 3 Rs. We will see however how it pans out, I don't expect us to be booming directly from the off, but I do expect us to be within the top 3 national sides again when the World Cup begins. Felipao never had a great start with the team back in 2002 and he will need to build is own scheme, although obviously not from the beginning and I do expect 60-70% of the squad to be the same that Mano selected although with a better emphasis on playing good football and scoring goals.

I can see us blending the young with more experienced players. Robinho is a player many of the young guys especially Neymar have a chemistry not only off the field as well as on the field. Kaka, Maicon and Julio Cesar are the other 3 I expect to get a call up, although I wouldn't really be surprised if Ronaldinho also got one.

We have a very good team just lacking the firepower and effectiveness to compete. With Felipao our football will be more direct in the sense of more movement and objectiveness.

Rivaldo was fantastic, one of my favorite players to ever carry our shirt. He created and scored, he really had it all.

I think he isn't as highly rated as he should because of our lack of success in Europe while he played for us.

I'll always remember that goal he scored from the half-way line against Athletico Madrid, outstanding technique.