How highly do you rate... Robert Pires?

Beren

Didn't have kind words to say about us when we played them in 1999, did he? :lol: (Apart from Shearer.)

What did he say?

He basically said that our team wasn't very good apart from Shearer.

:lol: He was right tbf.

Pretty much. But they still only knocked us out due to a penalty, iirc.

One of the best players of his generation, a player who defined the false 9 role long before Messi made it mainstream and i just loved watching him play.

He paid a price for his loyalty is if he joined Real when he had the chance he would have won the Balon Do'r among other accolades IMO.

Loved watching him and Cassano together, some of the plays they conjured up  :drool:

The same reason players like Ibra is underrated on these shores, the general public seem to prefer the all action players rather than the slow and technical types.

Berbatov ( although nowhere near either level) is another example, we seem to prefer the ones with high work rate type of players rather than the slow the game down to walking pace types.

Shame personally.

No not at all...berb was hitting the notes with spurs...hence his move to man utd...you are also forgetting teddy sheringham.

Sheringham was english and from london tbf, also i know he's quality but i get the feeling that the average fan and pundit don't rate as highly as they perhaps should do and seen a few pundits comment on his laziness and don't work hard enough etc etc.

Genius & horrible cunt all rolled up into one. You need characters like him in football good & bad. I always laughed at him just trolling people at will at times and really do love that he stayed at Roma his entire career.

I used to sort of draw parallels with him and Shearer - THAT club icon, boyhood fan, could have moved onto bigger and better but stayed, etc. It's a shame we never had Shearer from the youth team. An absolute genius of a player and, aye whilst he's a bit of a c*** to boot, an absolute legend. It's unreal how much power he still holds in Roma. Like what was said above, him and Cassano were telepathic at times together. He'll be the manager one day for sure.

Unreal ability on the ball, picking a pass or shooting technique. He'll be missed when he retires like. But I'll look forward to him and The Aeroplane managing different teams in the same stadium ;)

Edit - I remember him booting Balotelli once too, couldn't blame him either :lol:

http://www.bigsoccer.com/community/threads/francesco-totti.1880742/

This forum made me laugh. Really fucking lay into the English :lol:

Wonder why he is underrated on these shores? The lack of pace? Does he have a particularly poor record against English sides?

Alaways been pretty lazy and very tempremental - one game good three games average. No doubting his technique and his brilliance mind. Like most Italians will overcharge if they think you're a bit drunk. ;)

http://www.bigsoccer.com/community/threads/francesco-totti.1880742/

This forum made me laugh. Really fucking lay into the English :lol:

Wonder why he is underrated on these shores? The lack of pace? Does he have a particularly poor record against English sides?

Alaways been pretty lazy and very temperamental - one game good three games average. No doubting his technique and his brilliance mind. Like most Italians will overcharge if they think you're a bit drunk. ;)

Oh yes. Look at this classic:

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/43701-totti-rattles-cage-at-sir-alex

Think this was before the 7-1 :lol: :lol:

Can't remember Totti having much luck against the English he hates tbf.

He's ended up being a much superior footballer to his childhood idol Giannini, whom I always thought could be elegant to watch but was largely ineffective when it counted. At his best physically (i'd say '98-'03) he was nigh on phenomenal, skillwise pretty much the total package as a trequartista as well as captain and on-pitch leader of the turn of the millenium Roma team that had several world-class players. At that period probably the only attacking mid. you'd put above him was Zidane. In the end though, I've always thought that he's lacked the mental maturity that would have got him more club success and the kind of worldwide recognition his talent deserved.

Otherwise I pretty much hate him, an unadulterated bell-end even by footballers' standards. I don't think there's any other player who so regularly gets away with insulting referees to their faces, not to mention kicking Balotelli, spitting at Poulsen, stamping on Ramelow and many other acts of provoking opponents. Of all the famous italian 'bandiere' of recent times (Baresi, Maldini, Del Piero, Zanetti and the like) he's decidedly the one whom I least respect.

I love an outspoken player (hence my avatar) and in many ways you can draw similarities between Totti and Zlatan in terms of playing style, apart from Totti is more well rounded. Though I prefer Zlatan, Totti would probably slot into another system easier than Zlatan who is a bit of an anachronism of brooding continental playmaking forward (a la Berbatov). Totti always had more range though, and even now, he is making Zeman's job harder by being undroppable. His performance against Inter in particular was eye-catching from a much deeper area than normal. I addressed this in an article i did for ForzaItalianFootball (a bloody good site by the way)

http://forzaitalianfootball.com/2012/09/zemans-roma-single-handedly-smashing-the-myths-of-italian-football-2/

I love an outspoken player (hence my avatar) and in many ways you can draw similarities between Totti and Zlatan in terms of playing style, apart from Totti is more well rounded. Though I prefer Zlatan, Totti would probably slot into another system easier than Zlatan who is a bit of an anachronism of brooding continental playmaking forward (a la Berbatov). Totti always had more range though, and even now, he is making Zeman's job harder by being undroppable. His performance against Inter in particular was eye-catching from a much deeper area than normal. I addressed this in an article i did for ForzaItalianFootball (a bloody good site by the way)

http://forzaitalianfootball.com/2012/09/zemans-roma-single-handedly-smashing-the-myths-of-italian-football-2/

I love Zlatan.  Really enjoy watching PSG on ESPN this season, he is their talisman already.

I've always favoured Inter in Serie A, so naturally dislike Totti.  Obviously he has had a fantastic career though.  I did love him and Cassano together.

It is a shame to see Inzaghi, Del Piero and in not too long Totti gone from Serie A.  Especially Del Piero for Juve and Totti, who along with the likes of Raul at Real and Giggs at Man U I have no memory of their debuts.  They personify their clubs in my eyes.