How highly do you rate... Robert Pires?

Beren

At his best, the best I've ever seen. The man was a magician.

At his peak the absolute best in my lifetime. However, inferior to Ronaldo (Brazilian one) or Messi over a long period of time.

At his peak the absolute best in my lifetime. However, inferior to Ronaldo (Brazilian one) or Messi over a long period of time.

In a thread such as this, this annotation is unnecessary I would hope! :laugh:

At his best he doesn't match Messi at his best, no way. He was capable of magnificent things and changed so many games by himself but Messi has both consistency and magical quality which shines through all the time

At his best he doesn't match Messi at his best, no way. He was capable of magnificent things and changed so many games by himself but Messi has both consistency and magical quality which shines through all the time

I disagree. And like I said I wasnt talking about consistency anyways so, I was talking about him at his absolute best in games. Not during a period of time. Messi at his absolute best cannot dominate a game like Zidane could. Messi needs a Xavi or Iniesta or Dani Alves for him to become magical. Zidane made everyone around him magical at his absolute best.

Of all the great players that I've seen, and I've seen a few over the last 35 years, none excited me like Zidane. If there was a match on TV with him playing, I'd look forward to it for days...no other player has done that for me.

Lovely to watch, but was very inconsistent at club level even at international level the only tournament he dominated from the start to the end was Euro 2000.

Great player but i have always felt that because of very easy on the eyes style that people exaggerated how good he really was.

Zidane played in a position where he could dominate a game more than the likes of Messi and other great forwards. He was a fantastic player, an interesting comparison would be with Platini, they both had fantastic technical ability but were so different in how they went about their business on the pitch. Zindane was a real physical prescence.

One of my favourite players of all time. I just love players who can beat a man with skill.

Zidane, Messi, Ronaldinho, Ginola, Ben Arfa, Gascoigne.

Not that I'm saying the last 3 are as good as the first three by any means, just that they're my favourite players because of how they've approached the game, and obviously Ginola, HBA and Gazza did it in a Newcastle shirt which made it far more enjoyable for me as a spectator than watching better players do it for other teams.

Zidane was glorious, imperious, majestic even to watch. Messi has the goals and will in all doubt finish with incredible statistics come the end of his career, but Zidane was just technically magnificent.

I knew he was class but I didn't really appreciate him until I watched him destroy England in Euro 2004. They way he had two chances late in the game and he took them perfectly. True magician.

Since then I watched a lot more of him and for me he is one of the best midfielders of the pre-current Barcalona side.

It must be so galling for players who were quicker and more agile than him to be so outmatched by Zidane. He could beat them in slo-mo just with technique pretty much :lol:

Yeah I love this about the players who can do it. Pace and strength is very primative, and although it seems if you have both you can dominate other players, the really talented players don't need loads of either to beat people.

What a player. Without a doubt one of the greatest. I ranked him and real ronaldo the greatest until messi tagged along.

Think he'll always be my favourite footballer. I like him as a player more than any NUFC player. Never supported any team Ronaldo was in apart from Brazil during the world cups but I followed him a fair amount. Got more enjoyment from watching him play than anyone else. Beardsley is probably second purely because of bias