Marítimo vs Newcastle (20/09/12) 6pm KO - Live on ESPN

ponsaelius

Guest Roger Kint

kind of feel for the <100 paying and travelling to see what is essentially our reserves

In all fairness Pardew has never once said he would do any different with the cups this year than rest the bigger players.

Squad:

Mehdi Abeid, Romain Amalfitano, Sammy Ameobi, Shola Ameobi, Vurnon Anita, Gael Bigirimana, Adam Campbell, Rob Elliot, Shane Ferguson, Dan Gosling, Steve Harper, Sylvain Marveaux, Gabriel Obertan, James Perch, Davide Santon, James Tavernier, Steven Taylor, Haris Vuckic, Mike Williamson

Really? Any team out of that will be beaten, probably heavily.

Guest reefatoon

I just don't understand why we strive all season to try and get into Europe, then when we do get there, we play our reserve and youth players.  Might as well just try and finish 8th every season and be happy with it.

I just don't understand why we strive all season to try and get into Europe, then when we do get there, we play our reserve and youth players.  Might as well just try and finish 8th every season and be happy with it.

as if we don't want to let playing in europe get in the way of qualifying for europe.

Mehdi Abeid, Romain Amalfitano, Sammy Ameobi, Shola Ameobi, Vurnon Anita, Gael Bigirimana, Adam Campbell, Rob Elliot, Shane Ferguson, Dan Gosling, Steve Harper, Sylvain Marveaux, Gabriel Obertan, James Perch, Davide Santon, James Tavernier, Steven Taylor, Haris Vuckic, Mike Williamson

Hmmm i'd like to see:

Harper

Anita        Taylor    Willi    Santon

Bigi              Perch   

Mehdi/Amalfitano

Sammy                    Campbell 

Shola

Expect we'll see Obertan, Marveaux, Vuckik, Gosling playing though. All who have a lot to prove. Marveaux in particular has a lot to prove. Obertan who i do not rate played ok and better than the anonymous Marveaux in the last euro game. Out of those four i'd only expect Marveuax though to have the ability to break into our first team. Shocking against Everton though, still has it all to prove.

Will have to pray that Taylor, Willi, Santon and Anita come through unhurt because we have no real quality in depth to our squad and it is threadbare in places. Solid enough back 5 though that will need the full backs to work the channels with Sammy and Campbell who should they play i fancy to have a good game.

Money received for finishing a position or two up in the league > Money received for cup progression excl. Champions League.

Not the strongest but hoped to see ba and possibly cabaye there.  A first choice striker and cabaye for more game time, although can see why cabaye's being left for sunday.  But Ba could easy be the difference between 3 or 1/0 points.

Pretty pissed off about this, like. It would be nice to get off to a good start in the group. Can we expect similar squads for the rest of the games?

Not pissed off at all, hopefully younger players get the chance, we need 3 points on Sunday and important Cabaye, Cisse and Ba are fresh for that. Ben Arfa could not play anyway and its a good opportunity for Sammy, Vuckic, Fergie etc.

We need to blood these players and although we may get beat or struggle it's important to get the players through and playing first team football.