Newcastle Utd 1 - 2 Swansea - 11/17/12 -post-match reaction from page 29

Beren

Routledge wasn't given much chance when Rogers was our manager, Sinclair played no matter what and Dyer was playing well last year.

Laudrup played Routledge from the start, but in a different way, he brought the wingers inside, Routledge appears to have thrived on this and has had some very good games.

Since Hernandez has been brought in, one of Dyer and Routledge has been on the bench. Hernandez started slow but is improving by the game as he gets used to the Premiership, his understanding with Michu is sublime at times.

We have some great players at the moment, 5 of which are new and still gelling, think we will improve as the season goes on, we're not 'only Swansea' any more, this is a good side and not the league Two one anymore.

As a 'plastic' Newcastle fan since schooldays (late 60's), I hope you guys get it together soon. I'm sure things will pick up when the missing players return, my fear is players like BHA will be cherry picked before by one of the current 'bigger' teams before long.

You did play well at times yesterday, I was definitely worried during the first quarter of the second half, thought you were going to score then for sure.

Did anyone notice that your goal should have been disallowed? Tremmel was held down with two big hands on his shoulder (Taylor I think), stopping him from getting up to make an attempt to save from Ba.

:thup:

Didn't notice, but wouldn't be surprised. My eyes were barely taking in what I was looking at by that point in the game. Swansea still look a bit lightweight to me. Don't understand why Kemy isn't in your starting XI, and why you played counter-attack either. You could have pretty easily dictated play yesterday. That said, your plan worked fine too.

Routledge who was miles f***ing better than the sideshow act we bombed him out for.

Routledge + cash for Obertan has to be up there with our worst ever deals!

hindsight yes

but people have a short memory , we f***ing berated Routledge just as much as Obertan

I didn't. I always thought he was treading water a little bit in the first Xl but he's always been more than good enough to cover.

hindsight yes

but people have a short memory , we f***ing berated Routledge just as much as Obertan

Speak for yourself, not everybody did.

Always liked Routledge, was one of those players who, like N'Zogbia, would sometimes be the only person on the pitch actually trying to make something happen.  Which seemed to be why he got berated - obviously if you don't try, you don't fail.

A lot of us were expected Kemy to start instead of Ki to give us extra strength in midfield, but I think Laudrup does suffer the same as every other manager, he prefers to play his own signings. Can't complain as the player I would have put on the bench for this game scored (De Guzman) and he's only on loan at the moment, rumour has it he will be signed permanently in January.

Routledge who was miles f***ing better than the sideshow act we bombed him out for.

hindsight yes

I didn't. I always thought he was treading water a little bit in the first Xl but he's always been more than good enough to cover.

This. People were way too harsh on him. He was by no means a first teamer but he was judged like one. He's miles ahead of Obertan and would be a good option from the bench.

Got to say, I'm not as pissed off with this loss as I was with last week's. Whether that's apathy or something else, I'm not too sure.

I guess if I'm going to take a positive from this, it's that we did have a few decent spells of play before we conceded - you could take that as baby steps to where we want to be in terms of our style of play but one of our underlying problems still remains - we really do shit ourselves when we go 1 behind. We didn't really have anyone to rally the troops on the pitch when the going got tough.

We didn't really have anyone to rally the troops on the pitch when the going got tough.

It wasn't noticeable last year when all was going well but it's rather blatant now. Anita was the only one I saw trying to get everyone going again immediately after the first goal but nobody looked interested in it.

Guest sicko2ndbest

hindsight yes

This. People were way too harsh on him. He was by no means a first teamer but he was judged like one. He's miles ahead of Obertan and would be a good option from the bench.

I think maybe the feelings towards Routledge were 2 fold...

Firstly, He was being compared to HBA

Secondly, we thought the replacement would be far better, so was willing to let him go. I remember an AP quote on the lines of 'if we want to move forward as a team we need to do better than Wayne'....

Guest firetotheworks

His form when he arrived was good, then his final ball was poor, then his decision making, then his confidence. On form he was very good, but it didn't happen enough really. He was much better than Obertan though, that goes without saying.

Routledge is a good championship player and that's about it.

Mike Williamson is a good Championship player, Lovenkrands even. Routledge is fantastic Championship player who's demonstrated he can do a good job in the Prem.

Mike Williamson is a good Championship player, Lovenkrands even. Routledge is fantastic Championship player who's demonstrated he can do a good job in the Prem.

I don't think he can do a good job in the Premiership.  I don't think he is awful and he may well have been a decent squad player for us - not denying that.  But he hasn't proved he can cut it in the Premiership for any of Spurs, Portsmouth, Fulham, Villa, us or Swansea.

I don't think he can do a good job in the Premiership.  I don't think he is awful and he may well have been a decent squad player for us - not denying that.  But he hasn't proved he can cut it in the Premiership for any of Spurs, Portsmouth, Fulham, Villa, us or Swansea.

I would agree with that, were it not for his recent spell at Swansea. Think he is doing just fine there. Without reducing it to a numbers and stats game, he has two goals and four assists already after only 12 games.  Many of those games he didn't play the full 90 either.

It's took him a while, I grant you, but I think he's found a club that's right for him and plays football which utilises his strengths to best effect.

There's no way we had 26 shots on target, which is what that implies. Doesn't surprise me that we had a lot of efforts in general, Ben Arfa alone must have put half a dozen in the stand.

I don't think it implies that at all.