Newcastle United 3 - 0 Wigan - 03/12/12 - post-match reaction from page 41

Dave

Haven't looked through the thread yet, just wanted to say how happy I am that we've got that much needed win!

Some random points:

Thought Marveaux had a really good game, especially second half, started to look like a real creative force. Would like to see him AND Ben Arfa in the same team when possible.

Santon made things happen, solid game as usual (really hope he's not out for any period?).

Simpson was for me the only weak link tonight (me and a mate counted 7 touches from him 1st half - 6 went backwards and the 7th was a hopeful hoof upfield). Contrast with Santon constantly carrying the ball forward and probing.

Pass and move!! OK they were down to 10 men, but for possibly the 1st time this season we actually looked capable of stringing some decent moves together.

Wigan were pretty awful tbf.

Cisse worked hard but looks a bit short of confidence.

Bigi, take a bow son, great goal.

I really didn't care how we played, we NEEDED to win, and we did, playing some good stuff at times. Have to give Pardew credit for starting Marveaux and setting the team up to go at them.

Overall really happy (for a change).

Haven't trawled through the last few pages but I can't be the only one to be impressed by that Kone chap.

It's a shame DW won't entertain the fat bloke for a bit of bargain business as he would be high on my list for a punt this January.

Technically modest, but yeah, pretty much the exact type of attacker we lack.

Good to see Marveaux and Anita delivering something close to what I'd consider their normal performances, bad to see the usual injury problems.

I'm not particularly keen on the Martínez love-in though. Good manager if you want your team to play visually pleasing football, but if you want to regularly finish the season near where we did last season, he wouldn't be the solution IMO.

I'd have been furious being one of their fans when they just passed from a freekick in an alright opportunity and ended up back to the keeper. Also if you want to pass it from goal kicks, Caldwell isn't the best footballer on the park to pass to

Decent write-up

Demba Ba revives Newcastle faithful

Demba Ba looked to quash rumours and Wigan Athletic on Monday night as his two goals put Newcastle on course to victory over a ten-man visiting side.

Much of the day's conjecture had been afforded to yet more reports of the striker's potential departure from Tyneside - his Twitter account, as with so many modern players, being used as the platform for him to express his opinion - 'Here we go again'. A talismanic season so far for the Senegal international has seen him score ten goals, and take the title from compatriot Papiss Cisse for most potent Demba on Tyneside.

An even opening was quickly swayed in favour of the homeside just after the fifteen minute mark, with Newcastle's penalty proving a game changing decision. For home fans, the goal represented everything they had been yearning for. Slick interplay involving Ba, Vurnon Anita and Papiss Cisse put the latter in on goal, before Maynor Figueroa bumped him off the ball - the decision looking soft, if not understandable.

The resulting penalty allowed Ba to engage with his adoring public as well as provide Cheick Tiote the chance to whip up the crowd, who Alan Pardew thanked after the game for their consistent support during a difficult period. However, even with a man advantage and a sizeable portion of the game to go, Newcastle failed to look comfortable - in part due to a confidence sapping barren run and also some impressive ball retention from Wigan.

If the away side remained positive, much of the reason is down to the man at the helm. Criticism is not something Roberto Martinez allows into his spectrum of coaching - unconditional positive reinforcement the preferred approach, mainly through clapping. It's a mantra that has seen Wigan escape seemingly insurmountable odds in previous seasons, with Monday night's performance proving, if they maintain their level of performance, another season in the Premier League seems likely.

On the pitch, Wigan were steady if never truly dangerous. James McArthur's reminder to Ronnie Stam to 'pass pass pass' a subtle if not esoteric insight into Wigan's ideology - one which worked well given how often the ten men were able to make their opponents chase the ball.

The evening, which was shrouded in the often cold weather of Tyneside, also saw Gary Caldwell return to the club his career began at. While brother Steven made the first team, Gary sadly did not - and it will be a night he's keen to forget, after first picking up a yellow card for scything down Demba Ba before a tangle between the pair was viewed favourable towards the Scot by referee Mike Jones - his fifth booking meaning Wigan will be chronically hamstrung at the back when they host Queens Park Rangers.

For the home side, Ba was the focal point. Dropping deep, playing on the shoulder, he was gravitating between trequartista and poacher which is both a blessing and a curse given how dependant Newcastle seem on him in the attacking third - Alan Pardew clearly enjoying his continued surge in form after the match.

Yet still the rumours persist - ask a Newcastle fan if they want to sell Ba and you'll be met with a negative response. However, they are also no longer naive enough to believe any player is guaranteed an extended stay on Tyneside - the lack of suitors for Ba during the summer doing little to allay the concerns of those with a pessimistic or realistic stance - depending on your perception.

The former Hoffenheim striker would depart the game in the final throes through injury amid a chorus of his name from around the ground, but not before Newcastle could add a third through one of the club's youngsters. Gael Bigirimana, or 'Tiote Junior' as some fans have called him due to his somewhat similar appearance, was also dubbed 'one of the nicest at the club' by Pardew - his fingers pointing to the sky in celebration further proof of the religion orientated life he leads.

As the full time whistle sounded, relief for the home fans. The last time Newcastle lost four games in a row they were relegated, but there were far more unique variables present in 2008 - most notably a chronic instability from the playing staff upwards. Of course, if there is to be a positive for Newcastle there must also be a contrast - the loss of the impressive Davide Santon and Cheick Tiote a concern ahead of games against Bordeaux and Fulham in the next seven days, with January spending now a necessity rather than an option.

Listening to TalkSport for the first time ever today. I can't believe these guys get paid for this s***.  Especially the Irish idiot.

Try and catch Adrian Durham one day :lol:

If there was an award for the biggest prat on Radio, Durham would win it every year - I have yet to hear anyone spout as much rubbish whilst getting paid.

He even gives Peterborough fans a bad name by being one of them....what a jerk.

Big fan of Martinez and how he has his teams playing...couldn't help thinking regularly throughout the 2nd half what we'd be like with him in charge.

Very much this. Despite us having better players it suprised me how much wigan tried to play it on the floor even with ten. Anita had a very good game for me and looks better with every game.

This - good post.

Anita will become a real asset once he totally adjusts to the PL game and pace...look how poor Colo was in his first season. Anita has good control, finds space off the ball and never stops trying. Marveaux is comfortable in possession and that's why he looks better than most of the players. I am still to be convinced that he will be a regular because he is not keen on the Physical side of the PL and he is older than Anita but he did well tonight.

Better approach to the game in first half and we were somewhat fortunate with the pen...I don't think we'd have had a chance of it if we'd been at most away grounds, and the sending off for their player clearly took the pressure off us. Second half was getting tediously close to the crap stuff we have watched in the past few games, but Bigirimana's fine goal took the dross off it - this boy is going to be a good player and the way he created the space for the shot was excellent.

Not convinced by Ba and Cisse together, and one will undoubtedly be on the move before long, most probably Ba and I think that with the right replacement we could look a different side. Neither of these players can hold up the ball when its played up to them and both prefer to try and blind-side defenders by their runs so we need a good target man.

Pleased we got the points but there are tougher battles ahead and we need to be out of trouble by mid-Jan or Pardew will be under the cosh again.

It was obious to any watcher that Martinez' teams play better football and that with better players, ours included, he would be producing quality sides. You can see why Liverpool wanted him but the fact that he turned them down(and other factors)mean that he is unlikely to want to leave Wigan for SJP.

Despite our ball retention not being as good as I'd like it to be, I couldn't help but feel that we seemed to play a lot less long balls today and there was a much better emphasis on trying to keep hold of possession. Anita was once again magnificent for the third game in a row, and I was delighted to see what looked like a real breakout performance from Marveaux. A few of his runs with the ball reminded me of Ben Arfa and that's quite a compliment.

All in all, another forwards step in terms of performance from Stoke and the result we needed, and a clean sheet will hopefully give the defence some confidence. I thought that the pen was blatant when I first saw it and then on seeing it again have moved into the 'seen them given but maybe not' sort of area. We've had absolutely fuck off refs all this season though with those shitty red cards for Colo and Tiote so I couldn't give a fuck tbh. We looked fairly comfortable and Wigan never really looked like scoring.

Might have been mentioned but just seen this on Twitter:

Lee Ryder ‏@lee_ryder

One of the great atmospheres at St James' Park this. So far so good. #nufc have been "at it"as they say in the first 26 minutes.

:dowie: I must have been at a different game.

Might have been mentioned but just seen this on Twitter:

Lee Ryder ‏@lee_ryder

One of the great atmospheres at St James' Park this. So far so good. #nufc have been "at it"as they say in the first 26 minutes.

:dowie: I must have been at a different game.

Not sure it was "one of the greatest" but on the TV it sounded like the crowd were well up for it the first 25 minutes or so.  Really loud and behind the team, not groaning at misplaced passes, and like I said earlier in the thread, they won us that penalty tonight.

Big fan of Martinez and how he has his teams playing...couldn't help thinking regularly throughout the 2nd half what we'd be like with him in charge.

Very much this. Despite us having better players it suprised me how much wigan tried to play it on the floor even with ten. Anita had a very good game for me and looks better with every game.

This - good post.

Anita will become a real asset once he totally adjusts to the PL game and pace...look how poor Colo was in his first season. Anita has good control, finds space off the ball and never stops trying. Marveaux is comfortable in possession and that's why he looks better than most of the players. I am still to be convinced that he will be a regular because he is not keen on the Physical side of the PL and he is older than Anita but he did well tonight.

Better approach to the game in first half and we were somewhat fortunate with the pen...I don't think we'd have had a chance of it if we'd been at most away grounds, and the sending off for their player clearly took the pressure off us. Second half was getting tediously close to the crap stuff we have watched in the past few games, but Bigirimana's fine goal took the dross off it - this boy is going to be a good player and the way he created the space for the shot was excellent.

Not convinced by Ba and Cisse together, and one will undoubtedly be on the move before long, most probably Ba and I think that with the right replacement we could look a different side. Neither of these players can hold up the ball when its played up to them and both prefer to try and blind-side defenders by their runs so we need a good target man.

Pleased we got the points but there are tougher battles ahead and we need to be out of trouble by mid-Jan or Pardew will be under the cosh again.

It was obious to any watcher that Martinez' teams play better football and that with better players, ours included, he would be producing quality sides. You can see why Liverpool wanted him but the fact that he turned them down(and other factors)mean that he is unlikely to want to leave Wigan for SJP.

I'm not completely convinced about Anita yet, but otherwise, I'd agree with all of that.

I think Martinez has those players performing above themselves. He certainly brought the best out of Zoggy, whose career pre and post Wigan hasn't hit those heights.

There isn't the same pressure when playing for Wigan, so it remains to be seen how Martinez would do at a bigger club. But if our situation becomes vacant, I'd definitely take a punt.

Good result.  not happy with the performance overall tho.  Some good showings tonight (Anita & Marv in particular) but still some concerns but I suppose it would be a miracle if everything was going to get put right on the one night.  Would really like to think our performance for last 10mins of the first half and the first 15-20mins of the second was down to our players being nervous about screwing it up rather than instructions from Pardew.  If it was down to how they were being instructed to play then Pards needs taken down to the Tyne and a brick tied to his feet.  Big fan of Martinez and how he has his teams playing...couldn't help thinking regularly throughout the 2nd half what we'd be like with him in charge.

The amount of posession their 10 men had was ludicrous.

The first half proves tactics and formations aren't as important as some claim when you just keep it simple and short.

That's not a tactic then? You might have something to say if we'd stayed 4-4-2 in the last two games and seen an improvement. As it is we've gone 4-3-3 and seen an emphasis on passing and moving because its more achievable in that formation with these players.

How good does it feel to wake up and remember we actually won the game :lol:

Makes a change not having my whole week f***ed up :lol:

Its absolutley mint. Was blasting the music in the car this morning, tapping my foot. Slipped on some ice, but I didnt even care.

This. :lol: Fully expected to be in a right grump at work this morning, but instead I'm quite cheery despite realising I'm on post duty.

Don't remember a Williamson hoof tonight, good stuff.

P.s if you were sat behind me in the Leazes moaning your head off at everyone and having to explain to your lass the basic rules of football, your an idiot. :)

Might have been me. :lol: Don't remember moaning much at all though, spent most of the time praising good ideas or effort. Did have to explain to my girlfriend when it's a corner and when it's a throw-in though. :lol:

The first half proves tactics and formations aren't as important as some claim when you just keep it simple and short.

That's not a tactic then? You might have something to say if we'd stayed 4-4-2 in the last two games and seen an improvement. As it is we've gone 4-3-3 and seen an emphasis on passing and moving because its more achievable in that formation with these players.

Don't be silly.  It's obviously a complete coincidence that the change of formation has seen an improvement in our movement and passing.

Makes a change not having my whole week f***ed up :lol:

:lol:

was about to post this, what a difference it makes coming into work a bit happier :D

especially on the back of a decent performance.

tbf to Lee Ryder ( :anguis: ) about the atmosphere, early on it was good i thought, not the greatest as he's put it but i love when i can hear one song belting out in the gallowgate and a different one from the right from the lads standing at the back of the corner just before you get to the east stand.

3 points :D