Newcastle Utd 1 - 3 Man City - 15/12/12 - post-match reaction from page 32

Beren

We were brilliant, so many positives to take. Play like that against QPR and we'll destroy them.

We played against a team who let us play in the second half so they could soak up and counter. QPR won't - they'll be a lot tighter on us.

Brilliant my arse. We're in big, big trouble.

Finally back to your best. Couldn't agree more. We were good for the first 8 minutes, after that we conceded twice and City invited us into the game.

Absolute bullshit.

That was a very good team performace today. No idea why you'd want to denigrate that.

Alright Kim.

You're just another one of those clever idiots eh?

Lots of graft and they deserve credit for a good performance, but the goals did change the game. So I understand what Ronaldo means, but he is going OTT. Once you concede twice, that doesn't mean you can write off the next 65 minutes of performance etc... but you do have to appreciate it in the context of a match where Man City were defending a lead.

* Good performance was mainly second half btw.

We were brilliant, so many positives to take. Play like that against QPR and we'll destroy them.

We played against a team who let us play in the second half so they could soak up and counter. QPR won't - they'll be a lot tighter on us.

Finally back to your best. Couldn't agree more. We were good for the first 8 minutes, after that we conceded twice and City invited us into the game.

Absolute bullshit.

That was a very good team performace today. No idea why you'd want to denigrate that.

Alright Kim.

Easy there cowboy. Be nice.

Absolute bullshit.

Alright Kim.

:lol:

Guest malandro

MC were putting very little pressure on the ball until we got into the last third, but we played with a lot more purpose than we have for a long time. Encouraging signs but nothing conclusive.

Agree QPR will be a very different test.

Lots of graft and they deserve credit for a good performance, but the goals did change the game. So I understand what Ronaldo means, but he is going OTT. Once you concede twice, that doesn't mean you can write off the next 65 minutes of performance etc... but you do have to appreciate it in the context of a match where Man City were defending a lead.

* Good performance was mainly second half btw.

If Cisse scores I think it was all on the table.

:thup:

The praise on here reminds me of family days out at the beach in the blistering cold "This is nice, isn't it?" your dad says as the lashing rain stings your skin and the wind blows sand into your eyes "Ooh see an ice cream van, things are looking up".

The way we played 2nd half reminded me a bit of how we played at the beginning of last season - not particularly well at all, but if you hit the box early from the flanks (simpson and colo pushed up in the absence of real wingers) chances will come, and if you have a midfield runner (cabaye at the start of last season, anita today) you can unsettle people and stamp some aggression on the game. of course if you don't have someone like Best or Carroll in the box it's always going to be ineffective. City played the entire game in third gear - for how long did they look genuinely worried before regrouping? Was probably for around 6 or 7 minutes out of the 90.

It's unsophisticated percentage football against a side prepared to sit back and try to deal with it.

And it only lasted half an hour.

Yes it's better than having no gameplan at all as we've seen previously but it's hardly praiseworthy and exactly the kind of thing we should be looking to get away from.

Absolute bullshit.

Alright Kim.

:lol:

:coolsmiley:

If we play like the second half next week then we'll win at a canter but will we? Ridiculous how much better we look with a central three, why have we insisted on crippling our midfield in the first fifteen games?

Our set piece work, offensively and defensively, is as bad as it's been in my  lifetime and has become a major issue. Cost us at Fulham and again today, meanwhile the opposition can afford to give set pieces away as a way of getting possession back!

Coloccini - 8. Led by example. Went up lots of times, and got the assist. Class positioning defensively.

Santon - 5.5. Positive but ultimately at fault for the two goals.

Got to comment on those two scores. There was nothing wrong with Santon's positioning for the first goal. It was a great pass and the player would have been offside if Colo hadn't played him on. Colo worries about the space behind him and often ends up out of the line.

For the second, Santon could have done better but you also have to look at Garcia's free header, courtesy of Colo and Perch. Perchy at least tried to put in some kind of a challenge, but Colo has no confidence at set pieces and didn't even put in an effort.

Santon did a lot of good work going forward as well.

The praise on here reminds me of family days out at the beach in the blistering cold "This is nice, isn't it?" your dad says as the lashing rain stings your skin and the wind blows sand into your eyes "Ooh see an ice cream van, things are looking up".

The way we played 2nd half reminded me a bit of how we played at the beginning of last season - not particularly well at all, but if you hit the box early from the flanks (simpson and colo pushed up in the absence of real wingers) chances will come, and if you have a midfield runner (cabaye at the start of last season, anita today) you can unsettle people and stamp some aggression on the game. of course if you don't have someone like Best or Carroll in the box it's always going to be ineffective. City played the entire game in third gear - for how long did they look genuinely worried before regrouping? Was probably for around 6 or 7 minutes out of the 90.

It's unsophisticated percentage football against a side prepared to sit back and try to deal with it.

Yes it's better than having no gameplan at all as we've seen previously but it's hardly praiseworthy and exactly the kind of thing we should be looking to get away from.

Hart made 3 stops in the first half hour. Think they team put in a massive shift and there was movement and even some short sharp passing. If teams sit, that's their problem, I don't think you can use that as a criticism of a side that gave it all. Sorry.

Ray Wilkins having a fucking mare on SS here.

"Oh they'll miss Tiote, Cisse and Ba due to the ACoN in January". Mackem host "Cisse and Ba aren't going Ray", Wilkins "Oh well that's great news for Noocarstle then".

Literally, seconds later:

RW "Citeh will miss Yaya Toure when he goes to the ACoN, I mean they just capitulated last year without him".

Mackem Host "Thanks Ray. Though we should just clarify that Citeh won 4 out of the 5 games he missed last year".

:lol: Oh my days!

At  2 1 we were playing well and could have got something but a tactical masterstroke by Pardew, taking off Tiote, switching Santon to RB when he'd been causing them all sorts of trouble on the left even Simpson was doing reasonable and didnt warrant subbing, I just cant get my head around Pardews subs at all

If we play like the second half next week then we'll win at a canter but will we? Ridiculous how much better we look with a central three, why have we insisted on crippling our midfield in the first fifteen games?

Our set piece work, offensively and defensively, is as bad as it's been in my  lifetime and has become a major issue. Cost us at Fulham and again today, meanwhile the opposition can afford to give set pieces away as a way of getting possession back!

Ronaldo was spot on, next week we will play a QPR who haven't won all season. They won't let us play, I don't think we will lose, but they won't let us play. The circumstances made us look good today, it's hard not to play well when down 2-0 and you have to try and do something.

We haven't shown any signs of improvement all season. The positives tbh is the adaptation of Anita who seems to be becoming the £8m player we paid for.

Ray Wilkins having a fucking mare on SS here.

"Oh they'll miss Tiote, Cisse and Ba due to the ACoN in January". Mackem host "Cisse and Ba aren't going Ray", Wilkins "Oh well that's great news for Noocarstle then".

Literally, seconds later:

RW "Citeh will miss Yaya Toure when he goes to the ACoN, I mean they just capitulated last year without him".

Mackem Host "Thanks Ray. Though we should just clarify that Citeh won 4 out of the 5 games he missed last year".

:lol: Oh my days!

Hahaha.

[Didn't Man City lose in the cup against Liverpool without him though?]

It's the first time in a long while the midfield had players available for short passing interchanges. Refreshing.

Guest bimpy474

Hart made 3 stops in the first half hour. Think they team put in a massive shift and there was movement and even some short sharp passing. If teams sit, that's their problem, I don't think you can use that as a criticism of a side that gave it all. Sorry.

But there is zero flow or pattern to our game. Its all stop start and hoof free kicks from anywhere near the halfway line.

Yes we battled and deserve credit for it but fuck me our movement and passing (a bit better with the extra man in the middle) is still terrible at times.