Loïc Remy

Guest bimpy474
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

As usual there's a middle ground of not spending a pound and spending to financial ruin. If a player is exceptional and makes a huge difference to our team, I don't see how spending an extra 10-20k/pw will lead us down the path of Leeds.

Not sure why people are talking about doing a QPR that went round signing mediocre players on huge wages. Nobody is proposing the same modus operandi.

The problem is that if a player is 'exceptional', they're likely to have offers from more successful clubs, and we can only secure them by paying over the odds in wages to overcome their reluctance. That's the route to trouble (eg QPR)

If another 10-20k can secure the player, why not? It's not as if we are offering wages of 150k, 200k all round. That extra 10-20k for ONE player won't break the club and send us to the same path QPR has taken (full squad of mediocrity ridden with huge wages).

Guest Roger Kint

The 50k stadium thing is such a red herring.  The only way to generate more income from a 50k stadium is to charge more money for tickets.

People are quite prepared to pay extra IF they get attractive and winning football - ask KK...

To the levels of Liverpool and Arsenal which were comically linked in this thread? Liverpool whose matchday income was £42m and Arsenal who brought in about £100m. To create any sort of funds worth bothering with we would have to charge £1000 each. Still willing to bet that would work?

Guest firetotheworks

Money means nothing to us, success does. You need to spend to be successful. I couldn't care less if we're on a good financial footing. Spending money doesn't equate to financial ruin, especially with a club our size. We can compete, have the money and revenue to compete and should be competing.

That's what you here from Arsenal fans that moan when they are finishing 4th, yet we build Arsenal up to be this extremely well run club?

No, it's what you're hearing from me, a Newcastle fan. A team that just finished 2 places above relegation, not 4th.

Well they say exactly the same and have criticised their manager/board for years because of it until Ozil arrived that is. Then they brought up old news at the weekend when RVP scored past them because they sold him to their biggest rivals and refused to match his wages and give him assurances they would spend money to win trophies.

They say "exactly the same" do they? Show me.

Just follow Piers Morgan on twitter and keep scrolling down and reading, he'll give you the idea of how they think. They have Ozil but it still doesn't stop them moaning then have Podolski/Giroud instead of Robin Van Persie.

You couldn't have picked a worse person to represent a member of the human race, let alone an Arsenal fan.

Don't be that stupid, Brett. You may as well say that Jimmy Nail represents all Newcastle fans. We're tarnished with the brush by the media all of the time, don't do the same thing to other sets of fans when you already know the amount of s*** that's talked about us.

Or the 60,000 after the Villa game chanting 'Spend some f***ing money', that enough weight for how fed up they were?

....and they did and now they're a much better team that's top of the league. Exactly what is your point?

Not sure about this. The turnaround in Arsenal's form came half way through last season, and they've just continued it on. The difference came when they found their best defence, and Giroud found his feet in the Premiership.

Ozil's a good player for sure, but midfield was an area where they were already strong.

Arsenal generally have a strong finish to the season after starting badly and then realising that they might not make the Champions League. This season they've started off well and maintained it so far. They're clearly a better team than the one I saw last season. For me, anyway. Ozil is on another level to the rest of the players that they have.

Guest Roger Kint

Some of the naivety on this thread is almost unbelievable..either some of these people have completely lost sight of the size and potential of Newcastle United - AND Ashley's fortune, some of which is a direct result of his involvement with the club - or they are Ashley trolls...there can't be any other explanation for the stuff they post.

Pay peanuts - get monkeys....reach for the stars and you might get the moon..

Trouble is, some people are quite happy howling at it.!!

Claiming people are naive while thinking that Ashleys fortune matters one job to the workings of the club :lol:

Money means nothing to us, success does. You need to spend to be successful. I couldn't care less if we're on a good financial footing. Spending money doesn't equate to financial ruin, especially with a club our size. We can compete, have the money and revenue to compete and should be competing.

That's what you here from Arsenal fans that moan when they are finishing 4th, yet we build Arsenal up to be this extremely well run club?

No, it's what you're hearing from me, a Newcastle fan. A team that just finished 2 places above relegation, not 4th.

Well they say exactly the same and have criticised their manager/board for years because of it until Ozil arrived that is. Then they brought up old news at the weekend when RVP scored past them because they sold him to their biggest rivals and refused to match his wages and give him assurances they would spend money to win trophies.

Just follow Piers Morgan on twitter and keep scrolling down and reading, he'll give you the idea of how they think. They have Ozil but it still doesn't stop them moaning then have Podolski/Giroud instead of Robin Van Persie.

You couldn't have picked a worse person to represent a member of the human race, let alone an Arsenal fan.

Don't be that stupid, Brett. You may as well say that Jimmy Nail represents all Newcastle fans. We're tarnished with the brush by the media all of the time, don't do the same thing to other sets of fans when you already know the amount of s*** that's talked about us.

Or the 60,000 after the Villa game chanting 'Spend some f***ing money', that enough weight for how fed up they were?

....and they did and now they're a much better team that's top of the league. Exactly what is your point?

:lol: Sounds a like Piers response that as if the board only bought because of the moaning, even though they'd been moaning for years.

My original point towards this was people on here look up to Arsenal as the pinnacle of how to deal with transfers/wages when in fact they are similar to us just on a bigger scale. If Arsenal offer 150 grand a week and Man Utd counter that with 200 grand, they will back down and not compete with them. If we offer 50 grand and QPR offer 80 grand, we will back down too. Should Arsenal/Newcastle both up their wage to offer more, personally i don't think they should.

Sanctions need put in place to stop clubs blowing others out of the water with huge wages, not clubs getting in to bidding wars. Its a major fault with football at the moment and something needs done about it, i don't mind that we offer some sort of sensibility to it all and look after ourselves financially.

Except the situations are totally different. Arsenal had a stadium to pay for and have a brilliant manager that can pretty much guarantee them champion's league every season.

Yes, they are us (the fans) on a bigger scale, in that some complain about a situation that most fans would love to be in but, but it's all relative and they haven't seriously competed for the title for 10 years.  They've still flirted with success in their time of being 'unsucessful'...yet they've now gone out and spent £40m on a brilliant player and they look much better and are top of the league.

Surely, if anything it shows that spending money is a good idea from time to time? Not that we shouldn't complain because things could be worse.

We could go on all day and night KI and we probably still wouldn't agree. I wouldn't complain if we went out and spent 20 million on a player and 100 grand a week wages but at the same time i'm not prepared to kick up a fuss if we don't when i'm content with the standard of players coming in which is progressing nicely and see no reason to start working outside our current budgets.

Would we now pay Remy the extra money, of course we would, however it could now be too late with CL clubs lurking. Our mistake for not taking the gamble in Jan but I don’t think it’s something we should blame the club for.

Anyways I’m off to watch a film, I’ll make sure I put my review in the film thread and end it with a rating out of 10, because i know your a fan of that :shifty:

Guest firetotheworks

:lol: Sounds a like Piers response that as if the board only bought because of the moaning, even though they'd been moaning for years.

My original point towards this was people on here look up to Arsenal as the pinnacle of how to deal with transfers/wages when in fact they are similar to us just on a bigger scale. If Arsenal offer 150 grand a week and Man Utd counter that with 200 grand, they will back down and not compete with them. If we offer 50 grand and QPR offer 80 grand, we will back down too. Should Arsenal/Newcastle both up their wage to offer more, personally i don't think they should.

Sanctions need put in place to stop clubs blowing others out of the water with huge wages, not clubs getting in to bidding wars. Its a major fault with football at the moment and something needs done about it, i don't mind that we offer some sort of sensibility to it all and look after ourselves financially.

Except the situations are totally different. Arsenal had a stadium to pay for and have a brilliant manager that can pretty much guarantee them champion's league every season.

Yes, they are us (the fans) on a bigger scale, in that some complain about a situation that most fans would love to be in but, but it's all relative and they haven't seriously competed for the title for 10 years.  They've still flirted with success in their time of being 'unsucessful'...yet they've now gone out and spent £40m on a brilliant player and they look much better and are top of the league.

Surely, if anything it shows that spending money is a good idea from time to time? Not that we shouldn't complain because things could be worse.

We could go on all day and night KI and we probably still wouldn't agree. I wouldn't complain if we went out and spent 20 million on a player and 100 grand a week wages but at the same time i'm not prepared to kick up a fuss if we don't when i'm content with the standard of players coming in which is progressing nicely and see no reason to start working outside our current budgets.

Would we now pay Remy the extra money, of course we would, however it could now be too late with CL clubs lurking. Our mistake for not taking the gamble in Jan but I don’t think it’s something we should blame the club for.

Anyways I’m off to watch a film, I’ll make sure I put my review in the film thread and end it with a rating out of 10, because i know your a fan of that :shifty:

Quality isn't really important when your squad is clearly lacking in cover.

No doubt you'll give it 8/10.

As usual there's a middle ground of not spending a pound and spending to financial ruin. If a player is exceptional and makes a huge difference to our team, I don't see how spending an extra 10-20k/pw will lead us down the path of Leeds.

Not sure why people are talking about doing a QPR that went round signing mediocre players on huge wages. Nobody is proposing the same modus operandi.

The problem is that if a player is 'exceptional', they're likely to have offers from more successful clubs, and we can only secure them by paying over the odds in wages to overcome their reluctance. That's the route to trouble (eg QPR)

If another 10-20k can secure the player, why not? It's not as if we are offering wages of 150k, 200k all round. That extra 10-20k for ONE player won't break the club and send us to the same path QPR has taken (full squad of mediocrity ridden with huge wages).

I think the same formula will be applied to a potential Remy deal as has been with every other deal we've done recently.

The fee and wages will be weighed against what they believe the player will bring to the squad, club and what his potential resale value will be. Injury/fitness record etc will be a factor too.

In Remy's case his signature should be viewed as pretty positive all round so they should be prepared to pay the "going rate".

We're probably the most calculating, empirical dealers in football at the moment, which is not really a bad thing, it seems to work quite well and is quite refreshing after a generation of Owens, Luque's, Boumsongs etc.

I know Ashley isn't a fan of the loan system but I'm pleased he went against his own policy and made an exception for Remy. I'd hate to think where we'd be without him this season. I've a feeling we won't make it permanent though and instead will opt to spend that money on Gomis in either Jan or next summer.

I know Ashley isn't a fan of the loan system but I'm pleased he went against his own policy and made an exception for Remy. I'd hate to think where we'd be without him this season. I've a feeling we won't make it permanent though and instead will opt to spend that money on Gomis in either Jan or next summer.

:lol: Do you just make this sort of stuff up? We had one size, ireland, Van Aanholt on loan off the top of my head, probably a couple more. Not like he's broken his ruling just for Remy. Just because we haven't bagged likes of Lakaku amonst a couple of other obvious loans which we could have had, don't mean to say he won't loan  :hmm:

:lol: Do you just make this sort of stuff up? We had one size, ireland, Van Aanholt on loan off the top of my head, probably a couple more. Not like he's broken his ruling just for Remy. Just because we haven't bagged likes of Lakaku amonst a couple of other obvious loans which we could have had, don't mean to say he won't loan  :hmm:

Dekka said it in an interview last summer IIRC. 'No value in loans' was the quote IIRC.

No value in them doesn't mean to say they won't be done and we've broke some sort of ruling with Remy. We've done them in the past under Ashley and i'm sure we'll continue to do so if it is felt the squad can be improved from them and there is a chance of a good deal in place.

No value in them doesn't mean to say they won't be done and we've broke some sort of ruling with Remy. We've done them in the past under Ashley and i'm sure we'll continue to do so if it is felt the squad can be improved from them and there is a chance of a good deal in place.

Do you think?

Do you think?

Yes, i do  :) We don't disregard loans simply because there is no value. That was just another viable excuse to why we aren't signing loans like Lakaku. Give us a Danny Simpson though and we will take you up on your loan offer :lol:

Do you think?

Yes, i do  :) We don't disregard loans simply because there is no value. That was just another viable excuse to why we aren't signing loans like Lakaku. Give us a Danny Simpson though and we will take you up on your loan offer :lol:

Not really sure why you are kicking up such a fuss over something which is pretty common knowledge. We don't like to do loans but obviously we made an exception because we were pretty desperate for a striker. Just as well too otherwise we'd probably be quite a few points worse off.

Not really sure why you are kicking up such a fuss over something which is pretty common knowledge. We don't like to do loans but obviously we made an exception because we were pretty desperate for a striker. Just as well too otherwise we'd probably be quite a few points worse off.

quite an understatement that :lol:

Little article on the BT Sport website.

"Funny how Newcastle are no longer a laughing stock. Kebabs are off the menu, replaced by a player who shares a name with a silky-smooth cognac.

Loic Remy is turning out to be an equally smooth operator when it comes to scoring goals. In addition, he has a name which Newcastle director of football Joe Kinnear should be able to remember".

Full article here,  bt.com/sportfootball/football/remy-is-toast-of-the-toon-but-for-how-long-S11363849679253