Best Signing of the Last Decade

Greg
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Can't believe how many have picked HBA. Okay, so he might be the most talented, and hopefully will go on to be one of our best players ever, but he's been way too inconsistent to be regarded as the best signing in the last decade, imo. No chance.

Hatem is absolutely magical. Beyond his incredible ability, the way he went about the signing (fuck it, I'm getting on a plane and I'm off to Newcastle United) and the way he's devoted himself to us after the injury, he's just a legend. Best player I've ever seen. All of them were brilliant signings though.

Really tough choice and I was tempted to vote HBA, but eventually went with Nolan because of those 2 seasons where he was scoring for fun, and his influence off the pitch when we needed some leadership to save the club from possibly from falling away after relegation. Turned out to be a really important figure in our recent history.

Guest Howaythetoon

In terms of money spent, Krul or Ba.

In terms of performances, Colo.

In terms of ability, Ben Arfa.

In terms of impact/significance, Nolan.

In terms of prestige, Cabaye.

In terms of goals, Ba.

In terms of money back, Bassong.

Overall... it has to be Colo because of his performances, consistency, quality and leadership not just over the course of a season or so but over a number of years and even after a bad start. Easily the best £10m we have ever spent. Ironically whenever we have spent north of that on a CB we usually get quality. Woodgate was £8-9m.

I've always wondered why we used to spend so little on CB's yet punked millions on forwards. No wonder Colo and Woodgate are the two best CB's ever seen at Newcastle by the vast majority.

Guest Howaythetoon

Who was the last really quality centre-back before Woodgate? Wouldn't have thought Albert is in the same category at all?

Albert was quality but not the greatest defender. Mind, he didn't have to be because those in front and he himself we so good going forward, defensively we were rarely tested.

Andy Carroll. Helped us back up and his fee (hopefully) cemented us back into the premiership.

From the list I would have to say Colo - a shining light at the back and for the whole squad. Krul was great business but we also had big fraiser who like harper with given, could have been just as good for us as the Dutchman.

Who was the last really quality centre-back before Woodgate? Wouldn't have thought Albert is in the same category at all?

Bob Moncur was good, but for some reason we've had very few top quality defenders over the years, I'd say.

Andy Carroll. Helped us back up and his fee (hopefully) cemented us back into the premiership.

From the list I would have to say Colo - a shining light at the back and for the whole squad. Krul was great business but we also had big fraiser who like harper with given, could have been just as good for us as the Dutchman.

How is Carroll a signing?

Hatem is absolutely magical. Beyond his incredible ability, the way he went about the signing (fuck it, I'm getting on a plane and I'm off to Newcastle United) and the way he's devoted himself to us after the injury, he's just a legend. Best player I've ever seen. All of them were brilliant signings though.

This for me as well. Head over heels for the guy. Nohomo

Ben Arfa is clearly the most exciting, but we got him for the price we did because of his past.

I voted for Cabaye. Unreal that we were able to get him for such a low fee. He could be in the first team of the majority of clubs in the world.

Tiote should be on this list despite his recent form.

Hatem is absolutely magical. Beyond his incredible ability, the way he went about the signing (f*** it, I'm getting on a plane and I'm off to Newcastle United) and the way he's devoted himself to us after the injury, he's just a legend. Best player I've ever seen. All of them were brilliant signings though.

:thup:

Hatem for me as well. Never been so excited for us to sign a player, still can't believe he plays for us tbh.

Cabaye? I can't even see how people can say he's a great signing, never mind the best in the last 10 years. 70% of the games he has played he has been anonomous. He makes a lot of tackles, but James McClean won the most tackles in the league in 2012 ffs.

The Cabaye signing was massively influential and it signified real progress. It should've been the ultimate catalyst for putting us back among the 'big boys'. It was for a while, but unfortunately, Ashley/Llambias/Pardew have made sure that couldn't be sustained.

Guest sicko2ndbest

The only reason Cheicks not in is this seasons form

For 3-3.5m he is still a snip and instrumental to our successes when on form

Cabaye? I can't even see how people can say he's a great signing, never mind the best in the last 10 years. 70% of the games he has played he has been anonomous. He makes a lot of tackles, but James McClean won the most tackles in the league in 2012 ffs.

We lost 2 games in 10 before he got injured and have lost 8 games in 10 while he's been injured....

You clearly underestimate how important he is, he is the glue that holds us together and also the brains that directs us.....

Anonymous? yeah right.