Gus Poyet

TRon

Really impressed with his side after seeing them today. Playing great football with fairly limited players - on a full size pitch as well so there can't be any excuses that our better players were hustled out of it. Defensively well marshalled with great shape and discipline, and attacking with angles and clever passing even though they haven't got quality forwards.

Everything about this side screams organisation and clever planning and coaching, plus a tactician's flair for getting the best out of his assets. Once Pardew is sacked at some point in the next few months, Poyet would be a good shout for a cheap replacement. Continental background with a grounding in and good knowledge of all levels of the English game. I know he's not a popular figure, but by God he's shown Pardew up today, whatever the final result.

I don't think they're playing great football at all. They're very good defensively so far though, although that's helped by us just standing still when we have the ball.

They have been decent, tbf. As steeped in our own self-pity and misery that we are, they've executed a good game plan. They've tired out Ameobi (a player already prone to tiring quickly) by passing about the back. He was out of the game after 15 minutes :lol: Boom.

They've used the width of the pitch well to exploit an inexperienced Tavernier and a ragged-looking Santon. We haven't seen much of the ball, and they've made us work to get it back. They've had some good opportunities and got into dangerous positions behind our defence a few times (as opposed to us, trying to cross while their full-backs are still in front of us).

Edit: I do despise Poyet though and wouldn't want him here (even though he is better than Pardew), and the purpose of this thread is fairly diaphanous :lol:

Fuck off man.

As much as I agree with your sentiment, when people say 'but who would you replace Pardew with?', Poyet is one of the few genuine options.

I knew this wouldn't be popular (acknowledged that in the OP) but if you actually watch how they've used the pitch and made us look clueless with far inferior players, it's exactly what we're short of. You could put Cisse or Cabaye in the team, but unless they are organised there wouldn't be much difference in the way the game is panning out. Pardew is being handed a coaching lesson.

f*** off man.

As much as I agree with your sentiment, when people say 'but who would you replace Pardew with?', Poyet is one of the few genuine options.

I knew this wouldn't be popular (acknowledged that in the OP) but if you actually watch how they've used the pitch and made us look clueless with far inferior players, it's exactly what we're short of. You could put Cisse or Cabaye in the team, but unless they are organised there wouldn't be much difference in the way the game is panning out. Pardew is being handed a coaching lesson.

This!

Almost every manager in the top two divisions is better than Pardew. It's no guarantee of quality.

On the contrary, English football has very few good managers. Most of them are former players who would be opening pubs if they didn't get a job in the game. Everyone on here has said that we can't sack Pardew because who would we replace him with, given we won't spend big money on a proven manager.

Well I'm giving an alternative. The ones who are disagreeing aren't giving football reasons either, it's mostly because no one here likes Poyet because he's perceived as a cunt. Well fuck that, I'd rather have a cunt as a manager who knows how to set out the team than the gormlerss knob who keeps getting beaten off Championship teams run by Poyet.