Norwich City vs Newcastle United - 12/01/13 @ 3pm (not on TV)

bowlingcrofty

It's cos Xavi and Iniesta are great at those through balls. They do do crosses too. Think they got a bit boring last season and I think more direct stuff can be better, the praise isn't overboard in a way cos they are that good but they aren't the be all and end all. This season they're a bit more direct again under Vilanova. They're definately not my favourite team to watch, but still have them over stoke.

I think tika taka can be good and bad basically, depending on intent of team.

Guest bimpy474

Is this the Barcelona vs Swansea match thread?

Aye, apparently they're both shit, Swansea were shit and are now good. Barcelona are brilliant but also shit too.

Keep up like.

:idiot2:

I hate it, it's completely pointless. They go on and on with dozens of useless horizontal passes, no crosses, no variety, no through balls, no plan B. At some point, ball to Messi, goal.

Rinse and repeat.

Great :neutral:

Just look at the Swansea game last year: they kept the ball the whole time, passed with impressive accuracy, did f*** all and we got the points.

I seriously fall asleep when Barca and friends play.

Comparing Swansea to Barcelona.  :spit:

Never seen such s*** posted in my life.

There are those who drool for their style and those who hate their style. I'm definitely in the second group, and I'm certainly not the only one.

Yeah but you're trying to say Barcelona don't attempt through balls, or create 1 v 1s, or put crosses in. That's just ridiculous, unless you're basing your entire opinion on a small sample of games where they've been effectively shut out by teams in the CL.

Sorry mate, but if you say that Barcelona put crosses in I think you never watched a single game of them :neutral:

I've never ever ever seen a single cross put in in any Barca game. Ever. And it would be pointless anyway: who should take advange of them?

And they hardly attempt through balls either, most of the time it's triangle passes just outside the area: it's always the same and extremely predictable, but their incredible speed and execution don't prevent them fom being effective.

:lol: Erm, I watch them most weeks and they definitely do put crosses into the box. Do you think Dani Alves and Jordi Alba are renowned for their defensive solidity and aversion to offering width in attack?

Through balls attempted per game in Europe last season:

http://basstunedtored.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/team-through-balls1.jpg

I admit I'm quite surprised. Still, I'd like to know what they considered a through ball, cause if triangles are it's not a relevant statistic. In any case, it's a bit easier to find a through ball space when you're winning by 3-4 goals like they usually do in most games, the hard part is doing it in competitive games, and imho they just don't.

They attempt lots and lots of through balls mate, anybody that watches them at all would know that. They are always creating overlaps on the flanks too between the winger and the full-backs - which results in lots of crosses aerially, across the front of the goal and cut-backs to players in the box. They create more chances than any other side in Europe.

Fair enough if you prefer more transitional based sides but most of your arguments are just nonsense. FWIW I didn't enjoy watching Spain at the last two major tournaments anywhere near as much as I do Barcelona, the two teams are very different in their approach to matches - dictated both by personel options and by coaching ideology.

Guest ItalianMagpie

:idiot2:

I hate it, it's completely pointless. They go on and on with dozens of useless horizontal passes, no crosses, no variety, no through balls, no plan B. At some point, ball to Messi, goal.

Rinse and repeat.

Great :neutral:

Just look at the Swansea game last year: they kept the ball the whole time, passed with impressive accuracy, did f*** all and we got the points.

I seriously fall asleep when Barca and friends play.

Comparing Swansea to Barcelona.  :spit:

Never seen such s*** posted in my life.

There are those who drool for their style and those who hate their style. I'm definitely in the second group, and I'm certainly not the only one.

Yeah but you're trying to say Barcelona don't attempt through balls, or create 1 v 1s, or put crosses in. That's just ridiculous, unless you're basing your entire opinion on a small sample of games where they've been effectively shut out by teams in the CL.

Sorry mate, but if you say that Barcelona put crosses in I think you never watched a single game of them :neutral:

I've never ever ever seen a single cross put in in any Barca game. Ever. And it would be pointless anyway: who should take advange of them?

And they hardly attempt through balls either, most of the time it's triangle passes just outside the area: it's always the same and extremely predictable, but their incredible speed and execution don't prevent them fom being effective.

:lol: Erm, I watch them most weeks and they definitely do put crosses into the box. Do you think Dani Alves and Jordi Alba are renowned for their defensive solidity and aversion to offering width in attack?

Through balls attempted per game in Europe last season:

http://basstunedtored.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/team-through-balls1.jpg

I admit I'm quite surprised. Still, I'd like to know what they considered a through ball, cause if triangles are it's not a relevant statistic. In any case, it's a bit easier to find a through ball space when you're winning by 3-4 goals like they usually do in most games, the hard part is doing it in competitive games, and imho they just don't.

They attempt lots and lots of through balls mate, anybody that watches them at all would know that. They are always creating overlaps on the flanks too between the winger and the full-backs - which results in lots of crosses aerially, across the front of the goal and cut-backs to players in the box. They create more chances than any other side in Europe.

Fair enough if you prefer more transitional based sides but most of your arguments are just nonsense. FWIW I didn't enjoy watching Spain at the last two major tournaments anywhere near as much as I do Barcelona, the two teams are very different in their approach to matches - dictated both by personel options and by coaching ideology.

I haven't watched them very often this season and I tend to avoid it so I might be misjudging the Vilanova's new course, but regardless of everything: would you attempt a lot of crosses every game if you knew your strikers and offensive midfielders are all shorter than garden gnomes?  ???

Bear in mind that by "cross" I don't mean a simple pass on the ground through the box, that's not a cross and nobody can set a game plan based on those, cause 99% of the time they are lost balls if it's not a counter.

Guest strongbow69

vertical balls  :facepalm:  we do that 

On the ground? No we don't.

vertical is up  :frantic: we do that alot  :) horizontally forward maybe?

Guest tollemache

if drilling the ball across the face of goal for an onrushing striker to finish counts as a cross then barca cross absolutely all the time

Guest tollemache

and if playing the ball beyond the defence into the path of a teammate running from deep counts as a through ball then they do that all the time too

That would be a cruel blow but I guess this is the issue with players who've been out for a while. Unless they're 100% there's simply no point taking them.

It wouldn't be a massive surprise if we lined up without Taylor and Cayabe against Norwich

Fuck sake, really struggling here like. No news on Taylor either. Don't like backing against us but Norwich at 6/5 looks tempting.

Krul

Debuchy    Williamson Coloccini Santon

Bigi  Jonas

Anita

Marveaux                          Obertan

Cisse

Elliot, Tavernier, Ferguson, Ranger, Sammy, Streete? Campbell?    Dear me it's desperation this like.

Guest hydeous

Have no fear. Two Cisse goals from Debuchy crosses and a lot of defensive clearances and heart attacks. 1-2 to us!!!

Based on nothing but guesswork I reckon Cabaye and Jonas will be back for this one but Taylor will be another week or so.

Would start with:

Debuchy – Willo – Colo – Santon

Anita – Bigi

Marv – Cabaye – Jonas

Cisse

Perch for Bigi if he's fit. Obertan to come on later if needed.

"YOHAN CABAYE is facing a race against time to be fit for Newcastle United's trip to Carrow Road - but his close pal Mathieu Debuchy is still in line for his Premier League debut against Norwich City on Saturday.

The clash with the Canaries may also come too early for defender Steven Taylor."

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2013/01/08/united-may-not-take-yohan-cabaye-to-face-norwich-city-72703-32563137/#ixzz2HNocryMq7"

Theres the link for anyone wanting a read.

Based on nothing but guesswork I reckon Cabaye and Jonas will be back for this one but Taylor will be another week or so.

That's funny because for some reason i think Jonas and Taylor will be back but Cabaye wont :lol:

We will see soon enough, who ever is back we need to win this game.

"YOHAN CABAYE is facing a race against time to be fit for Newcastle United's trip to Carrow Road - but his close pal Mathieu Debuchy is still in line for his Premier League debut against Norwich City on Saturday.

The clash with the Canaries may also come too early for defender Steven Taylor."

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2013/01/08/united-may-not-take-yohan-cabaye-to-face-norwich-city-72703-32563137/#ixzz2HNocryMq7"

you couldn't make it up.

you couldn't make it up.

Yes you could. There's points to be thrown away.

Just proof pards was talking utter sh**, excuses and now times came for these players to play, yet more excuses. No doubt when we lose, its because cabaye and taylor wernt on pitch. Excuses already sorted him  :whistle:

That would be a cruel blow but I guess this is the issue with players who've been out for a while. Unless they're 100% there's simply no point taking them.

It wouldn't be a massive surprise if we lined up without Taylor and Cayabe against Norwich

One of Taylors mates posts on another forum and said he'd had a text off him last night saying he would be back for Reading not Norwich.

Yeah that kind of makes sense Taylor being back for Reading.

I just don't think with the current players available (with injured players missing) that we can win away from home. With Williamson in the side there's almost a goal per game mistake and the team doesn't defend well collectively. Throw in our complete inability to come from behind and the writing will almost be in the wall if Norwich score first. I'd obviously love to be proved wrong.

It'll probably take a couple of excellent dislays from Marveaux and Cisse to get anything here because atleast we know those two can score/create goals.

Cabaye making it would be great but it doesn't sound too likely and more likely he'll make Reading with Taylor.