Norwich City 0 - 0 Newcastle United - 12/01/13 - post-match reaction from pg 37

Dave

Were people really expecting us to play like Barca today? We're in horrendous form and we need every point that we can. Yes we went long at times and i'd wager most of this was from Williamson. Cabaye and Anita did try to hit Cisse with a long diagonal a few times.

People need to have a bit of a reality check as to where we are and what we are trying to achieve which unfortunately is to avoid being relegated. We were never going to go and win 4-0 like some seem to have been expecting. You don't come out of the type of form we are in after 1 game.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Were people really expecting us to play like Barca today?

:rolleyes:

Going by some of the reactions on here I wouldn't be surprised.

2 points off the relegation zone. Have you seen the table? It's not too much for people to expect us to try for the win. Playing for a draw is a dumb and risky strategy. It nearly cost us the precious 1 point right at the end.

We got 1 point, which is great. But trying for 1 point is nothing short of disgraceful.

TBF Poot we have been conceding goals left right and centre, im never going to turn my nose up at a 0-0 away from home, especially after the last couple of months and the lack of players we have.

It wasn't great, its a start and a platform with Reading to come to SJP, hopefully we will have a couple of bodies through the door.

Small beginnings, a clean sheet, a point, a free week now to get players fit and ready for Reading, A good Howking for Southampton off Chelsea on tuesday night (please!), Saylor back in the squad next week and hopefully HBA the week after that and a couple of players through the door along with Colocinni convincing his missus that the healthcare in this country will be better than in  Argentina and bobs your wifes brother.

Were people really expecting us to play like Barca today? We're in horrendous form and we need every point that we can. Yes we went long at times and i'd wager most of this was from Williamson. Cabaye and Anita did try to hit Cisse with a long diagonal a few times.

People need to have a bit of a reality check as to where we are and what we are trying to achieve which unfortunately is to avoid being relegated. We were never going to go and win 4-0 like some seem to have been expecting. You don't come out of the type of form we are in after 1 game.

:clap:

1 clap will suffice. It's a load of crap and no number of clapping smilies will make it true

Implying that ANYONE  expects us to win 4-0 :facepalm:

Really don't know where to start with what's wrong here.

Can't see anyone who expected Barcelona-like football, or a 4-0 win, for a start. We were also playing Norwich, not Real Madrid.

Guest neesy111

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

:facepalm:

Didn't see the game or listen to it so I don't know if we deserved more or less, but on the face of it I would class this as a building block and a solid platform. We needed a clean sheet and we got one and so that should provide a good confidence boost ahead of the next few games. Onwards and upwards!

Guest neesy111

Oh I forgot, were we playing a top 4 no. We were playing a team that had lost their last 4 league games.  Pathetic as usual.

Guest neesy111

Oh I forgot, were we playing a top 4 no. We were playing a team that had lost their last 4 league games.  Pathetic as usual.

Were people really expecting us to play like Barca today? We're in horrendous form and we need every point that we can.

Absolutely. We needed a clean sheet. Thats the ONE crumb of comfort I take from today.

BUT other teams are winning and we are one defeat from dropping in the relegation zone, and we are perhaps the worst performing team (I still reluctantly accept that the Villa tossers will get out of it. More confident than I am we will) and some of our best performers are openly wanting out we know Colo wants out as soon as, but how many others AREN'T mouthing off publicly ARE privately ?

And I agree with Neesy above on the subject of being pleased with the scraps

Doesn't give us the the right to assume we could actually take the game to Norwich given our recent form.

They've beat Arsenal and Man Utd at home this season, we had chances in the first half which if better final balls had of been played were scoring opportunities. For me it was a 'meh' performance, we didn't play well but we also weren't as awful as some seem to think.

Really don't know where to start with what's wrong here.

Can't see anyone who expected Barcelona-like football, or a 4-0 win, for a start. We were also playing Norwich, not Real Madrid.

Aye, straw man there. The intention to win a game against a team who are weaker than us is not ridiculous expectation.

Not on board with the idea of babysteps either - this isn't pre-season. We're in the middle of the season, and this was a winnable fixture against a side begging us to score goals against them. We barely even tried - apart from trying to hit Cisse from every possible spot on the pitch except from anywhere within a 20 metre radius of the man.

Those who were extolling the attacking progress made in the Arsenal and Man Utd games seem to have lost their voices also. Now we're not facing a team who is cocksure they can outscore us, where did all the (fake) progress go?

Pardew doesn't know how to coach a team to simultaneously a) be defensively solid b) score without an over-reliance on individual brilliance/defensive mistakes.

He could have 11 fully-fit first teams, and he still couldn't do it. I'm sure HBA/Cabaye/Cisse would save his bacon mind you, but I don't want to gamble Newcastle's Premier League status on the hope (and that's all it is - a hope) that we have enough of our "star" players fit and sparking in our shrinking set of fixtures. It could not materialise for all we know. I'd rather have a plan.

We've had the playing personne available to use to be in an uninspiring but safe 12th/13th/14th this season IMO.

Guest neesy111

Doesn't give us the the right to assume we could actually take the game to Norwich given our recent form.

We had players a few players back for this game, we should be doing much better.

Did reading have any right to assume they couldn't come back from 2 goals down v West Brom btw?

Guest neesy111

Would've settled for a point before the game so happy enough we got one. Clean sheet is a bonus.

Put Steven Taylor and Hatem Ben Arfa in this side and we'll win enough to stay up comfortably I reckon.

Do those 2 players coming back mean we are going to transform our utterly negative tactics.  Get real.

They've beat Arsenal and Man Utd at home this season, we had chances in the first half which if better final balls had of been played were scoring opportunities. For me it was a 'meh' performance, we didn't play well but we also weren't as awful as some seem to think.

It was a bit like scoring a 50 on an exam where 50 is the passing mark.