Moussa Sissoko

Skeletor
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is it just high pressing though? It seems it's more to do with systems of pressing no matter where you lose the ball.

It's a strategic type of pressing in order to regain the ball after losing it within 5 seconds.

You can blitz non discrimantely, cover the available players, cover the passing lanes, etc.

I'm sure our coaches are familiar with it and it's nuances.

If you don't believe there's a difference. That's cool.

You've just said it's a specific system and is entirely different from high pressing but you haven't said how.

Seems like you've introduced a new term to most of us today, the least you could do is shine your light of knowledge on those of us sitting in the dark wise one.

Lotus linked a good piece on it.

It almost literally means countering the counter. Based on the principle that the first few seconds a player has won the ball off you, is when he's most vulnerable. He's just intercepted the ball or made a tackle, he has to change a mindset to look for the pass.. he probably hasn't decided already who to pass to. His team mates probably are only starting to move into space (but they are moving). If 2 or 3 players are hunting him down, he's liable to lose it. This requires the team to be super compact and press in unison. To leave as little space for a pass as possible.

This is the one weakness of Xabi Alonso's game, he's very dangerous on the ball but he doesn't have quick feet and has also developed into a combative/defensive player. So he's often intercepting, then having to make a pass. He doesn't have the skill or quick feet of a Xavi to remain in control of the situation. Most of Alonso's teams depend on him to initiate attacks. But if you can press him quickly, he'll fold.

It's also when Moussa is at his best (other than a pure counter attack). By the time they've realised what's happened he's gone.

Under McClaren I feel as if he prefers a slower, more possession based build-up. Doesn't suit Moussa at all. Pardew's brand of counter attacking football is more suitable for the lad I fear. Nothing he's done suggests he wants us to defend with a high line/pressing the ball, except when the opportunity of a counter arises. With runners like Wijnaldum & Sissoko in your team you want a fast paced side.

Is it just high pressing though? It seems it's more to do with systems of pressing no matter where you lose the ball.

It's a strategic type of pressing in order to regain the ball after losing it within 5 seconds.

You can blitz non discrimantely, cover the available players, cover the passing lanes, etc.

I'm sure our coaches are familiar with it and it's nuances.

Definitely requires a lot of thought and work on the training field. Otherwise there would just be huge gaps. I think Moussa is an intelligent enough footballer (facing goal) to make it work. When he closes down, it's not just the man with the ball, he'll close down the best passing option too. Someone like Colback seems to either hide, or chase whoever has the ball like a headless chicken. Moussa doesn't do that. He's always looking for the quick pass.

I don't think he's the stupid player many do. He's just got a finite skillset and an attitude that wants to put them to task. Someone like Obertan is stupid. He's fast and doesn't want to run at fullbacks.

It's interesting that from the descriptions of it in this thread the example that sprung right to mind was Guardiolas Barcelona, which is referenced in that article, yet during the entire period they won everything doing it I never once heard it referred to as Gegenpressing.

It's interesting that from the descriptions of it in this thread the example that sprung right to mind was Guardiolas Barcelona, which is referenced in that article, yet during the entire period they won everything doing it I never once heard it referred to as Gegenpressing.

Think it's been described that way of Dortmund. I'm guessing it's a German word.

Think it's been described that way of Dortmund. I'm guessing it's a German word.

Yeah, the other word used in that article was counterpressing which is closer to how we'd describe it.

Back to the original hipster accusation imo, just not necessary to use it other than to sound knowledgeable [emoji38]

His first CL winning side most definitely. With Gegenpressing, I don't think those teams ended up with possession into the high 60's and 70's. The focus is making very quick attacks once you've won the ball. That would lead to losing the ball and the whole sha-bang restarting. In Guardiola's later sides possession would be used as a defensive tool a lot and  the quick play would come in bursts.

Does the degenerationxpress utilize double shuttlers?

:spit:

I can't stop laughing at this.

:lol: Triple H and Shawn Michaels running the shuttler play transitions and utilising the degenerationxpress counter the counter movement to overcome the frail and ageing Xabi Alonso they join hands and take him out with a double clothesline before shuttling out to the wing and sticking it in the back of the net. Chyna gets her cock out in appreciation.

It's a 5 second press when you lose possession. The whole team closes down, if the ball isn't won, you fall back into your defensive blocks.

But that doesn't sound as arrogantly sophisticated as gegenpress.

Maybe it's just quicker to say gegenpress. I'm not really understanding the reaction to TCD on this one. Unless it's an accumulation of things that maybe have got on peoples tits.

It's a 5 second press when you lose possession. The whole team closes down, if the ball isn't won, you fall back into your defensive blocks.

But that doesn't sound as arrogantly sophisticated as gegenpress.

Maybe it's just quicker to say gegenpress. I'm not really understanding the reaction to TCD on this one. Unless it's an accumulation of things that maybe have got on peoples tits.

It's his nepolastic resozzleation of crantinary sordilangs.

I think gegen means against or anti. Think I've seen it used on posters in Germany saying 'gegen Nazis'.

Does the degenerationxpress utilize double shuttlers?

:spit:

I can't stop laughing at this.

:lol: Triple H and Shawn Michaels running the shuttler play transitions and utilising the degenerationxpress counter the counter movement to overcome the frail and ageing Xabi Alonso they join hands and take him out with a double clothesline before shuttling out to the wing and sticking it in the back of the net. Chyna gets her cock out in appreciation.

:lol: :thup:

I think gegen means against or anti. Think I've seen it used on posters in Germany saying 'gegen Nazis'.

Yes, taken literally it means 'against'