Moussa Sissoko

Skeletor
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest firetotheworks

£30m for Sissoko  :lol:

Newcastle should be investigated for theft.

I dunno like, £35m for Carroll and £20m for Henderson in the market at the time takes some beating imo. £50m for David Luiz is still the single funniest transfer I can think of, he got absolutely ripped to shreds in the World Cup and produced some of the most comical defending I've ever seen (even as a Newcastle fan) - and we watched it all knowing that he was the world's most expensive defender. It was fucking hilarious. :lol:

I dunno like, £35m for Carroll and £20m for Henderson in the market at the time takes some beating imo. £50m for David Luiz is still the single funniest transfer I can think of, he got absolutely ripped to shreds in the World Cup and produced some of the most comical defending I've ever seen (even as a Newcastle fan) - and we watched it all knowing that he was the world's most expensive defender. It was f***ing hilarious. :lol:

This bit pisses me off, he got ripped to shreds in one game, a game where a whole team was ripped to shreds. For the rest of the World Cup David Luiz was together with Neymar two of the best players in their own positions. If I'm not completely wrong he was considered the best central defender in the World Cup by plenty of newspapers right until the semi-final. I'm not saying he's worth that money, but there's a reason he's gone three times for a very high fee and that is because he's an excellent footballer and defender on his day and managers believe they can be the one to help him from having those lapses in concentrations.

That being said, he's not worth that money and PSG did the right thing having two central defenders who are better than him, but he's also not the worst defender in the world etc.

£30m for Sissoko in the current market is the going rate really. He's just been playing for France (and was at times their best player) in the Euros, so I dunno why everyone's absolutely chuffed about the money like. It's definitely a far better deal for NUFC than it is for Spurs, but what happens with the money is the only important thing, so I'll reserve my jubilation until then.

Depends what you mean by “going rate” really, if you mean a rate that bears almost no relation to his ability or usefulness, and has been created purely by the bizarre marketing that envelops football, and more specifically the Premier League, then I agree. It’s the footballing equivalent of paying £3.50 for a box of 8 Nurofen when there’s a box of 16 Ibuprofen on the same shelf for 24p.

Here we’ve got a player who has been pretty frustrating for large swathes of his Premier League career, who cost under £2m, generated a 1500%(?) profit and yet still feels like an on-field disappointment. Big fees being paid for Karel Poborsky and El Hadji Diouf off the back of an international tournament was understandable when it was more difficult to watch players from other countries. This bloke has played every week in our division for nearly four years and been ordinary at best so for a couple of decent runs for France to have increased his value to this point is almost the stuff of parody, where forcing a corner in a European Championship game against Iceland is worth £10m more than doing the same against the same players in a friendly. At no point was he “France’s best player” like, unless you mean a point for 6 seconds in a particular game when he had the ball.

I’m still shaking my head at the fee, I think it’s a more staggering amount of money than Andy Carroll was sold for, even in this inflated market. Carroll was young, full of potential, and was in the middle of a frightening run of form stretching back over an entire year that, at the time, showed no signs of stopping. Sissoko is 27, and has been alright for us, sometimes good, more often not very good, and is unlikely to get much better. I say this as someone who has always defended Sissoko, he’s been one of our better players over the last three years based purely on how utterly pitiful we’ve been in that time period, and even in that context, there won’t be too many disappointed not to be watching him. I bear him no ill will, and certainly have no jubilation towards the fee, just a general sense of astonishment. The proof of the going rate will be how he does for Spurs, all I’ll say is that if we bought an unknown player for thirty million pounds and he turned out to be Moussa Sissoko, I’d want to chuck the whole thing in.

This bit pisses me off, he got ripped to shreds in one game, a game where a whole team was ripped to shreds. For the rest of the World Cup David Luiz was together with Neymar two of the best players in their own positions. If I'm not completely wrong he was considered the best central defender in the World Cup by plenty of newspapers right until the semi-final. I'm not saying he's worth that money, but there's a reason he's gone three times for a very high fee and that is because he's an excellent footballer and defender on his day and managers believe they can be the one to help him from having those lapses in concentrations.

That being said, he's not worth that money and PSG did the right thing having two central defenders who are better than him, but he's also not the worst defender in the world etc.

Sounds a bit like Sissoko.

He's got a stupid mentality for a supposed centre-back, his atheltic and technical abilities are great but it's all moot when he plays with a fanny head.

Blimey, I didn't even think he was here 4 years, that's mental. He really hasn't delivered what you'd expect from a £30m player.

He cost us 1.5m, I'd say he was a decent signing based on that value.

Guest firetotheworks

I dunno like, £35m for Carroll and £20m for Henderson in the market at the time takes some beating imo. £50m for David Luiz is still the single funniest transfer I can think of, he got absolutely ripped to shreds in the World Cup and produced some of the most comical defending I've ever seen (even as a Newcastle fan) - and we watched it all knowing that he was the world's most expensive defender. It was f***ing hilarious. :lol:

We get it, you're Brazilian.

Sounds a bit like Sissoko.

He's got a stupid mentality for a supposed centre-back, his atheltic and technical abilities are great but it's all moot when he plays with a fanny head.

Which is also why Sissoko went for £30m. These players have something which managers obviously like.

What? I'm just calling you out on your bullshit. Bit like saying Oliver Kahn was ripped to shreds in the 2002 World Cup because he had one bad game. I'm not defending the value managers are willing to pay for players, but saying he was ripped to shreds in the World Cup (apart from one game) is a lie.

It's really hard to judge how mental prices are in this day and age like. It's really difficult to get excited by huge fees because of the money being pumped in by Sky.

10 years ago receiving £20m for a player would be huge, now you're massively short buying cast-offs like Benteke with it. I thought Ritchie's fee was a bit over the top but in hindsight we've got a bargain. A couple of million for Hayden? None of it makes any sense :lol:

Wullie nailed it. We get no real reward for losing a player who would have helped us in the championship but how we managed to get 30m for him is nuts.

Spurs, what have you done? You could have bought 100 players better for that money.

Guest firetotheworks

£30m for Sissoko in the current market is the going rate really. He's just been playing for France (and was at times their best player) in the Euros, so I dunno why everyone's absolutely chuffed about the money like. It's definitely a far better deal for NUFC than it is for Spurs, but what happens with the money is the only important thing, so I'll reserve my jubilation until then.

Depends what you mean by “going rate” really, if you mean a rate that bears almost no relation to his ability or usefulness, and has been created purely by the bizarre marketing that envelops football, and more specifically the Premier League, then I agree. It’s the footballing equivalent of paying £3.50 for a box of 8 Nurofen when there’s a box of 16 Ibuprofen on the same shelf for 24p.

Here we’ve got a player who has been pretty frustrating for large swathes of his Premier League career, who cost under £2m, generated a 1500%(?) profit and yet still feels like an on-field disappointment. Big fees being paid for Karel Poborsky and El Hadji Diouf off the back of an international tournament was understandable when it was more difficult to watch players from other countries. This bloke has played every week in our division for nearly four years and been ordinary at best so for a couple of decent runs for France to have increased his value to this point is almost the stuff of parody, where forcing a corner in a European Championship game against Iceland is worth £10m more than doing the same against the same players in a friendly. At no point was he “France’s best player” like, unless you mean a point for 6 seconds in a particular game when he had the ball.

I’m still shaking my head at the fee, I think it’s a more staggering amount of money than Andy Carroll was sold for, even in this inflated market. Carroll was young, full of potential, and was in the middle of a frightening run of form stretching back over an entire year that, at the time, showed no signs of stopping. Sissoko is 27, and has been alright for us, sometimes good, more often not very good, and is unlikely to get much better. I say this as someone who has always defended Sissoko, he’s been one of our better players over the last three years based purely on how utterly pitiful we’ve been in that time period, and even in that context, there won’t be too many disappointed not to be watching him. I bear him no ill will, and certainly have no jubilation towards the fee, just a general sense of astonishment. The proof of the going rate will be how he does for Spurs, all I’ll say is that if we bought an unknown player for thirty million pounds and he turned out to be Moussa Sissoko, I’d want to chuck the whole thing in.

He was comfortably France's best player in the final imo. In all honesty, Sissoko has never really provoked much of a reaction either way from me, I've never really been that arsed about him either way. By going rate I simply meant the amount that's being paid across the board for players of his ilk. Just look at the other transfers within the last few days. Mustafi, Slimani, Bolasie and Stones, just off the top of my head all went for daft fees imo, but that's the market now and it tends to be more of a surprise now when players like Janmaat go for £7.5m and you think 'that sounds about right' but also feel like we should have gotten more because of how ridiculously inflated prices have been this summer. 

Guest firetotheworks

What? I'm just calling you out on your bullshit. Bit like saying Oliver Kahn was ripped to shreds in the 2002 World Cup because he had one bad game. I'm not defending the value managers are willing to pay for players, but saying he was ripped to shreds in the World Cup (apart from one game) is a lie.

:lol: 'bullshit' and 'a lie', now who's being a 'whiney little girl'? My opinion is that Luis is an absolute clown of a defender and was a joke in the World Cup, just deal with it, it's only my opinion.

Some Spurs fan replying to every reddit post he can find about the fee saying it's only £13 million "Because Townsend and Yedlin haven't been paid for yet"  :icon_scratch:  Fuck kind of nonsense is this, we pay for everyone upfront anyway, don't we?

Does it make a difference? We still received £30m and paid them £17m, what kind of logic is that!

Exactly. Not sure what this fellas argument could possibly be. Fair enough it's £13m, so we got Townsend and Yedlin for free? What a div :lol:

He was comfortably France's best player in the final imo. In all honesty, Sissoko has never really provoked much of a reaction either way from me, I've never really been that arsed about him either way. By going rate I simply meant the amount that's being paid across the board for players of his ilk. Just look at the other transfers within the last few days. Mustafi, Slimani, Bolasie and Stones, just off the top of my head all went for daft fees imo, but that's the market now and it tends to be more of a surprise now when players like Janmaat go for £7.5m and you think 'that sounds about right' but also feel like we should have gotten more because of how ridiculously inflated prices have been this summer. 

I just don't get who sets these fees. Like someone decided Sissoko was worth £30-35m months ago and then everyone just went along with it, is that what happened? :lol:

More of a rhetorical question really as I doubt anyone knows. There's just no incremental value for players based on their ability anymore. Janmaat is a great example actually, his career here is very similar to Sissoko's.

Guest firetotheworks

I just don't get who sets these fees. Like someone decided Sissoko was worth £30-35m months ago and then everyone just went along with it, is that what happened? :lol:

More of a rhetorical question really as I doubt anyone knows. There's just no incremental value for players based on their ability anymore. Janmaat is a great example actually, his career here is very similar to Sissoko's.

We live in a world where Paul Pogba, as class as he is, is deemed to be worth £90m. It's been crazy for years and slowly crept up and up, but it's went into hyper mode this summer and took a massive leap. £35m for 10/11 Andy Carroll in 16/17 looks like a reasonable price. £50m for John Stones, man.