Moussa Sissoko

Skeletor
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest bimpy474

I think the best way to put it is.......Pardew's tactics nullify our players best attributes.

Still his fault we have been so poor.

Yet it was those tactics (putting Sissoko in a "number 10" position) that was getting the best out of him when he first came?

Aye, did well at first but when Sissoko got used to our play hence the apparent appearance of him going backwards.

I don't think it's the players being taught wrong or having their skills coached out of them, i think it's the tactics not suiting the players, with Pardew being so defensive minded it's having a knock on effect.

I just wish he would trust the players a little more, and let them be more creative. That and he himself needs a pattern of play, which we lack so obviously.

I think the best way to put it is.......Pardew's tactics nullify our players best attributes.

Yet it was those tactics (putting Sissoko in a "number 10" position) that was getting the best out of him when he first came?

Pardew has long since trained that out of him fella!

Pardew has long since trained that out of him fella!

I don't think it's a case of tactics with Moussa, we've just seen his style in different matches from those first, stretched few and have consequently seen some weaknesses in his game come to the fore. He's a pretty decent passer of the ball, but not a great decision-maker, which is an important attribute to have when you're the focal point of a team.

I still think he suits AM for certain games but I think playing him deeper might be a better option for now, he can change in-game, perhaps we could do a Toure and start him deeper and move him up if it's not working.

I can understand the temptation for Pardew to play him as far forward as he does, he covers a lot of ground and can carry the ball at times. Just think he lacks the perfect first-touch and decision making that is required to be a dedicated attacking midfielder.

I can understand the temptation for Pardew to play him as far forward as he does, he covers a lot of ground and can carry the ball at times. Just think he lacks the perfect first-touch and decision making that is required to be a dedicated attacking midfielder.

Agreed, i would be really tempted to play him next to Cabaye and play Marveaux behind Cisse.

Might need Sissoko to pick and choose his offensive moments more carefully but i reckon for the whole team it would function better.

Like has happened with many players over the course of Pardew's time here, he really needs to work out how best to utilise this guy.

Seems to have happened over and over again this season, having abandoned the ridiculously effective 4-3-3.

Santon, Cabaye, Anita, Jonas, Ba, Cisse... now Sissoko (and probably Gouffran, eventually). All have suffered from misuse by the manager. It's not as clear-cut as having square pegs in round holes, just deployed slightly out of place and with the wrong instructions.

The daft thing is, a player like Sissoko coming in to replace Jonas in the 4-3-3 is what a lot of people were hoping for before the summer.

Pardew likes him further up because he can kick onto him from the goalkeeper as much as anything, now that he no longer has Ba there. I'm still hopeful the long-term plan involves a more attacking line-up with Moussa a bit further back.

I also think that although we have an excellent selection of midfielders, they don't always complement each other perfectly. If Tiote had been fit and firing all season things would have been much easier. Without HBA we also don't have two ideal players for wide of a 4-3-3.

We seem to be making the right signings though, Gouffran was a good pick.

More like it from Moussa last night - signs of a better understanding emerging between him and Cisse, they linked up much better than I've seen before.

Agreed. They looked as if they've grown into their roles and understood the dynamics of their "partnership" last night. Benfica struggled to get ahold of Sissoko who drifted quite intelligently in and out of his position. It allowed for Cissé to sneak in behind and drag them out of position. If only we hade someone else making runs in behind, we'd cause a hell lot more trouble.

I also think that although we have an excellent selection of midfielders, they don't always complement each other perfectly. If Tiote had been fit and firing all season things would have been much easier. Without HBA we also don't have two ideal players for wide of a 4-3-3.

We seem to be making the right signings though, Gouffran was a good pick.

I certainly don't think our midfielders are excellent. Better than this, yes. What they lack is any cohesion or plan, both attacking and defending. Every match they play they look like strangers. I know what the glib answer to that is but it really is baffling. For a group to train together everyday for god knows how long but still look lost on matchday. I think when you're in a relegation fight as we are players just lose so much confidence and the game seems to hapening too quickly for them. We haven't been sharp all season though. We've looked fatigued from about the 2nd match into the season!

Sissoko looks a better option at RM than Marveaux tbh. Waste a bit of him there i know but you waste a lot more of Marveaux. Sissoko's certainly got the pace for it and can ping a nice low ball in. Played there for France. Not optimal i'll grant but we're struggling to find a good combo in MFbecause of the players missing.

We're going to burn him out if we continue to use him like this. He can offer so much more than just being a bulldozer (even if he is fantastic at it).

Totally agree. He's Pardew's get out of jail card at the moment which is why he's doing so. Much how Ben Arfa was earlier on this season.

We're going to burn him out if we continue to use him like this. He can offer so much more than just being a bulldozer (even if he is fantastic at it).

Totally agree. He's Pardew's get out of jail card at the moment which is why he's doing so. Much how Ben Arfa was earlier on this season.

Aye, hopefully if we don't ruin him through overexertion he can add more maturity to his game and use those incredible runs forward to greater effect.

Speaking of which, that ridiculously fast burst he did tonight from the right-back position into their half in the 88th minute. :yikes:

Aye - you would have to think there's a better plan for him next season.