Moussa Sissoko

Skeletor
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest firetotheworks

It's not a massive deal, it's just completely unnecessary posturing that serves only to put yourself on yet an even higher self-built pedestal of football knowledge whist everyone sees exactly what you're doing and laughs about it.

Guest firetotheworks

FWIW, I'm not laughing at you learning the game like, it's more that I see stuff like gegenpressing and so on as being fluffy football hipster nonsense that's only there to make people sound smart, so when I see people actually using it, it's funny. Coupled with your arrogance it's pretty easy to want to pick it apart.

Well, i'd never heard the term and now i've looked it up and learnt a new word.

Also, having read the first find on google search (i'm that well informed) i can see that 'gegenpressing' would be hard for us as we play a bit too spaced out.

I have been elevated!

How does one use Gegenpressing successfully?

There are several prerequisites for successful counterpressing. The decisive factor is the overall positioning of the team and their playing style right before attempting to counterpress. The players must play as close to one another as possible so that they can press together as a unit right after the ball is lost – which is a given in short passing football. At the same time, they should not stick so close to one another that they neglect to cover enough space. Usually, a good layout in possession and a good shape behind the lost ball go hand in hand.

Some trainers use the basic rule of thumb to “occupy the fewest possible zones with individual players, but the greatest possible distance between the players within those zones so that they don’t occupy the same space” to make the positioning simple to understand; although, with a rule of thumb like this, some aspects are lost in terms of complexity.

I have to say, i wish i knew more about the game, tactics etc. It would probably make watching the game more enjoyable for me i think.

TCDs mention of gegenpressing has made me look up a few things. It's all good.

Guest firetotheworks

I have to say, i wish i knew more about the game, tactics etc. It would probably make watching the game more enjoyable for me i think.

TCDs mention of gegenpressing has made me look up a few things. It's all good.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51T2dlncOcL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

All you need imo :thup:

He has no intelligence. He has the physical attributes to be a top footballer & little awareness of how to improve or make the best use of it. Given him slack recently, but interviews like this just prove the same thing. Id not be fussed if he left, i dont rate him as highly as many on here.

Fair post tbh.

Gegenpress is a system/theory. "High pressing" is something Pardew or a any other many can tell his players to do.

It's like saying Catenaccio or Total Football is pompous.. it's just defensive football or switching positions. But it's not. Every great concept is essentially simple but the detail is complex and in football requires intelligence.

back to Moussa, I think he's a fairly intelligent footballer, going forward. Running into space in good moments, attempting to increase the tempo of a game. But the limitation of his game means there's only a few ways he knows how to play. It's about speed. Movement. Sometimes it's just not possible. He wants to make things happen but endlessly passing sideways isn't his game. Eventually he'll need to learn when to probe and when to go for it.

He's awful with movement behind him and the nature of his game leaves massive holes when played centrally if the ball is lost. So there needs to be 3 players covering CM.

Guest firetotheworks

It just makes it even funnier when you try to back it up with some flimsy/non-existent difference to make it sound like you're more intelligent than everyone else.

Guest firetotheworks

Barcelona and Dortmund are the cited examples. Funnily enough they're also cited as using a high-pressing system, because they're exactly the same thing. I'm all for new terms being different to pre-existing ones (the clear difference between false 9 and a number 10 for example) but terms like Gegenpressing are utter nonsense like.

If you don't believe there's a difference. That's cool.

You've just said it's a specific system and is entirely different from high pressing but you haven't said how.

Seems like you've introduced a new term to most of us today, the least you could do is shine your light of knowledge on those of us sitting in the dark wise one.