Massadio Haïdara

Optimistic Nut

Massadio Haidara has recounted the horrific tackle from Callum McManaman that rocked football by admitting: “I thought my leg had smashed in two.”

Amazingly McManaman’s tackle went unpunished by the FA after the challenge that has been described as a “leg breaker” by many pundits left Haidara with blood seeping out of his knee.

But while there is still no timescale on Haidara’s recovery, he said today: “I underwent some further tests yesterday morning.

“The ligaments in the knee are undamaged.

“It’s a massive relief.

“I was very worried when it happened.

“I thought he’d broken my leg or smashed up my knee.

“The pain was unbearable, I couldn’t bend my knee. It was really horrible.

“But, God was on my side.”

And looking back on the incident that left him floored, he said: “I remember it all. I can still see it in my mind’s eye.

“The ball came to me, I controlled it.

“I thought I had the time to run around him but he came at me like a bullet.

“It all went so fast. I didn’t think he’d tackle me, especially not above the knee.

“And then I felt his studs crash into my knee and remember feeling excruciating pain.

“I was in so much pain I couldn’t think of anything.

“I was so shocked.

“I still am actually.

“When, afterwards, you think of everything.

“I told myself that perhaps I’d never be able to play football again or that I’d be able to play but never with the same level of ability.

“It was a tough time. Once I was in the ambulance,

“I started to think of my family. I knew my brother was watching the match live.”

McManaman is thought to want to apologise to the player and Haidara said: “Yesterday I was told he wanted to speak with me. For the time being, we haven’t talked.

“There is a language barrier but I think we will try to meet up next week with an interpreter.”

“At the time, I was very angry. I thought he’d ended my career. Now, I know I escaped a serious injury, I have taken time to stand back from it and I am not angry. I simply hope that it will serve as a lesson for him and the next time he will think twice before making a tackle like that.

“I hope, when he watched it back, he told himself that wasn’t who he really was.”

Massadio Haidara was recovering today but there is still no timescale on his recovery and the player is unable to confirm whether he will be back this season.

And reflecting on Wigan chief Whelan’s comments, Haidara said: “I understand he wants to defend his own player but I believe fairness and honesty must be respected. You simply need to see the images and photos to understand.

“People will have their own opinion, of course, and I don’t wish to cause a controversy.

“I am simply relieved to have escaped the worst.

“It’s tough to take.

“I don’t understand why.

“He could have ended my career and ruined my whole life and he will play again before me!

“Ridiculous!

“You must protect players”

And when asked about his hopes of recovery this season he said: “I don’t know.

“I feel better but the medical team remains cautious.

“I don’t want to rush back but, when I do get back, there will be a lot of apprehension, it’s understandable.

“But then, I can’t let this affect my mentality too much. I am quite strong mentally. I won’t dwell on this too much. I’ll get over it.”

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/massadio-haidara-slams-dave-whelens-1767472? and http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/massadio-haidara-callum-mcmanamans-horrific-1767469?

It actually might have ended up being better for the lad that the impact happened above his knee as it almost certainly would have been a fracture if it had been below. I was worried he had a fractured femur which would have been hard to come back from, but sounds like his knee absorbed the impact and was in good enough condition not to damage the ligaments

Mature words from the lad. Fair play to him. Hope he's back out on the pitch soon.

Was just thinking, probably the most mature comments of all, from the young lad who was the victim.

Yep... sounds like an intelligent chap.

:notbad:

It actually might have ended up being better for the lad that the impact happened above his knee as it almost certainly would have been a fracture if it had been below. I was worried he had a fractured femur which would have been hard to come back from, but sounds like his knee absorbed the impact and was in good enough condition not to damage the ligaments

If McManaman gets the leading boot out a little sooner, and hits him on the downward trajectory (and he was like a bull rushing out the gate), where the impact would be sliding down towards his ankle, it's a career killer. McManaman was coming in with more forward momentum & velocity than Taylor, when Eduardo was taken out.

Extremely fortunate lad.

Massadio Haidara Injury Latest

We can confirm that results of the latest scan on Massadio Haidara show that the player has very fortunately escaped any significant bone or ligament damage following the dangerous tackle by Wigan Athletic's Callum McManaman on Sunday.

We are very pleased that the extent of his injury is less severe than first feared and is limited to bruising to the bone and soft tissue damage.

Depending on the speed of his recovery he should be fit to play again in early April.

Massadio will continue to be assessed over the coming days. He has been very lucky that he has not suffered more serious injury and this positive diagnosis in no way lessens the Club's views with regard to the severity of the tackle from which it resulted.

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20130322/massadio-haidara-injury-latest_2281670_3118401