Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa joins AS Roma then Lyon

KaKa

Do find it bizarre we don't seem to be giving this lad a chance. Colo took time to settle and was given the run of games to adapt. If Pardew was here during Colo's first year he'd be looking to move him on as well would he?

Do find it bizarre we don't seem to be giving this lad a chance. Colo took time to settle and was given the run of games to adapt. If Pardew was here during Colo's first year he'd be looking to move him on as well would he?

The fact it's so mental makes me hope it's not the case, and he will get more of a chance in future. I realise all evidence points to the opposite.

When he was at Lille? Dunno

:lol: Alright, fair play. Point still stands though - I accept that Cabaye's best form came in the first half of last season, but he was still a big reason behind our fifth placed finish in 2012.

And also Lille winning the double the year before for the first time in decades (possibly ever).

So why wasn't anyone else in for him then? Hazard and Gervinho left for big money; Cabaye was available for only a few million and yet we, as far as I can tell, were the only club to table an offer. As you say, as captain of the French champions, Cabaye should have had little to prove - particularly with regard to the national team - but it was only with us that he became a regular fixture in the French side. I'm sorry like, but I don't think you explain that sort of change solely through a raised profile.

I didn't see Cabaye consistently improve at all in his time here. Only in his last 6 months did he look like a player who'd go for £20million. Before that he bounced between being completely anonymous to a match winner.

Even if he was a major part of us finishing 5th he wasn't anywhere near that level the year after, which doesn't indicate improvement. I expect we'll see the real Cabaye this season now that he's not working for a window cleaner.

Fine, but Wenger was still willing to pay £10 million or so for Cabaye last summer on the back of what was, as you say, a relatively poor season by his standards. How else had Cabaye gone from being a fringe player for France coveted only by likes of us and Villa to a regular international and the subject of a bid from a team in the Champions League in that time if he hadn't improved somewhat as a footballer?

I agree that Cabaye wasn't a patch on the previous year in 2012/13, but one bad season doesn't necessarily write off the gains made in a good year. There's also other factors to consider - our pathetic recruitment drive (or lack thereof) in the summer, selling and failing to replace Ba, etc. If Sturridge scores less goals for Liverpool this season, is it fair to say that he's indefinitely regressed as a player because he's not consistently improving?

He was always a good footballer. He proved that in France 2 years before he joined us with his best ever goal and assist numbers then won the league and cup the year after in what was something of a miracle. His actual talent has never been in doubt.

He was blatantly better in his last 6 months than he had been in the 2 years previous. Nobody can deny that. Was that down to Pardew or gradual improvement over time? Or because he was promised a transfer 6 months previously and started playing for it?

So why, despite his doubtless talent, did he end up here then?

Like Kanji, I'd probably put Cabaye's form last season down to a combination of plying for a move away and something of a culmination of his personal progression as a player. I don't think it was down to Pardew - you only need to look at Santon, Yanga-Mbiwa, Ben Arfa and Cisse for evidence that players have a general tendency to stagnate or decline when under his management. In spite of this though, I think it's impossible to deny that Cabaye improved in his spell here, particularly when you consider the rise in his transfer value and his increasingly prominent role in the French team.

How did we manage to get quite a few other well thought of International players in very recent years with seemingly little competition? I don't know how but it keeps happening, as recently as this summer.

Arsenal weren't exactly banging the door down last Summer (£10-12million(?) for a French International isn't particularly good money these days) so his increase in value and destination could easily be explained by his 6 months of good form/trying.

As an aside, he went to one of the richest clubs in the world at the absolute height of football consumerism so I don't think his fee is all that relevant. David Luiz went there for £50million for example.

In terms of purely improving players I think it's important to look at how the lads coming up through the youth team have progressed. The answer under Pardew is, er, basically not at all

To me this would suggest Pardew and his coaching staff do not do a very good job of improving players in general and he seems to want players to 'do a job' rather than actually develop. Shocking really.

In terms of purely improving players I think it's important to look at how the lads coming up through the youth team have progressed. The answer under Pardew is, er, basically not at all

To me this would suggest Pardew and his coaching staff do not do a very good job of improving players in general and he seems to want players to 'do a job' rather than actually develop. Shocking really.

I agree basically, but on the other hand our youth development has been non-existent for almost all the time I have followed NUFC.

Perch did improve like, not that it matters either way. He was never going to be a player that PL clubs would pay big money for.

He didn't improve, he was exactly the same player Hughton paid a lot of money for when he was at Forest. He had a good spell in his limited fashion when he got the chance to play, but I saw no evidence of him improving at all. I thought he was quite quick and a good tackler when he arrived and certainly Pardew had nowt to do with that.

Perch did improve like, not that it matters either way. He was never going to be a player that PL clubs would pay big money for.

He didn't improve, he was exactly the same player Hughton paid a lot of money for when he was at Forest. He had a good spell in his limited fashion when he got the chance to play, but I saw no evidence of him improving at all. I thought he was quite quick and a good tackler when he arrived and certainly Pardew had nowt to do with that.

Perch looked absolutely hopeless when he played for Hughton. There is no doubt he improved under Pardew.

James Perch continues his poor run of form

This brings us nicely onto N’Zogbia’s opponent, Newcastle right back James Perch who has so far looked hopelessly out of his depth in the Premier League, displaying a lack of positional awareness, a fondness for yellow cards (5 in his 1st 5 games) and a unique ability to dribble the ball out of play. His poor run of form continued against Wigan where he was largely at fault for both goals.

He was caught flat footed for the 1st goal and was out jumped by N’Zogbia, a player who is 4 inches shorter in height. Joey Barton must share the blame for the 2nd goal after being caught in possession but it was Perch again who was nowhere to be seen, leaving his man N’Zogbia to smash home his 2nd goal of the game while completely unchallenged.

It is too soon to say whether Perch’s poor performances are down to a lack of ability (although it’s not looking good) or confidence but he desperately needs some time out of the firing-line before making any more costly mistakes, those booing him of the pitch certainly didn’t help matters.

http://www.leazesterrace.com/newcastle-wigan-keypoints/

Guest palnese

Shit, what happened to N'Zogbia?  Is he still at Villa?  Fallen so far that even RTG have forgotten him.

Pardewed.

Pardew hasn't improved one player, man.

Everyone he's worked with that's been decent for us already had a bit of ability anyway. Cabaye was starting to get noticed in France and we already knew Ba had an eye for goal.

Ryan Taylor? Leon Best? Mike Williamson? James Perch?

Worth noting that Danny Guthrie has sank without trace since leaving Pardew's influence.

In fact there is only really Routledge who stands out as having gone on to better things since leaving Pardew's Newcastle. That is some testimony to his ability to get the best from players, considering he is approaching 4 years at the club. Little wonder that so many players who have worked with Pardew speak so highly of him.

Everyone he's worked with that's been decent for us already had a bit of ability anyway. Cabaye was starting to get noticed in France and we already knew Ba had an eye for goal.

Worth noting that Danny Guthrie has sank without trace since leaving Pardew's influence.

In fact there is only really Routledge who stands out as having gone on to better things since leaving Pardew's Newcastle. That is some testimony to his ability to get the best from players, considering he is approaching 4 years at the club. Little wonder that so many players who have worked with Pardew speak so highly of him.

Hardly quality players are they? He's good at making average grafters into slightly better average grafters. He hasn't improved anyone in our squad who has technical ability.

Hardly quality players are they? He's good at making average grafters into slightly better average grafters. He hasn't improved anyone in our squad who has technical ability.

Saved me from saying what I was going to say.

Williamson's never been more than a squad player and Best was always 'capable' at most. The same goes for Ryan Taylor.

He couldn't turn Perch into a decent right back so just started sticking him wherever he saw fit and hoped it worked.

wum

For those who are seriously arguing that Pardew has the ability to improve our players I'd like you to name one player and be specific in what aspect of their game he has improved them.

I agree basically, but on the other hand our youth development has been non-existent for almost all the time I have followed NUFC.

true, its pathetic. A disgrace actually.