Who would you go for?

BONTEMPI

Guest TruToon94

If you're playing a team as s**** as Stoke with the crap they had what else are you going to do but hoofball?

He had ten years man, plenty of time to buy players that weren't so one-dimensional. There are plenty of "bad" teams in the Championship and below that haven't resorted to that abortion of a football style. Delap's throw-ins and Shotton's towel t-shirt have been quickly forgotten.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/12/12/article-2073311-0F2416D100000578-813_468x286.jpg

At Stoke? What the hell do you take to lure any players there? Tiny stadium at a club whose biggest achievement is winning the League Cup once in the seventies.

And who gives a crap at how you play if you're at a club like Stoke. Decent cup run and mid-table is what they're happy with. And you're right they are plenty of teams like that.... Who aren't in the PL which is the most important thing to a club like that. This sounds exactly like the papers who say us lot would rather lose 4-3 then win 1-0.

I think the idea that 'anyone must be better than Pardew' is going to be well and truly tested out over the next few months.

If we're talking about an internal caretaker, then I can't see that there are any great options, but Carver would probably be the most sensible choice if we're only talking about keeping things ticking over. Promoting someone over his head doesn't sound a good idea.

With the January window coming up, we could really do with a long term appointment, but in the middle of the season, that's not easy. Of the obvious names - Pulis and Sherwood - I'd prefer Pulis, with his experience. Sherwood ended up looking a bit out of his depth at Spurs - a coach rather than a manager.

We could always rescue Klopp from his nightmare season in Germany, yep?

(Joke, by the way)

If you're playing a team as s**** as Stoke with the crap they had what else are you going to do but hoofball?

He had ten years man, plenty of time to buy players that weren't so one-dimensional. There are plenty of "bad" teams in the Championship and below that haven't resorted to that abortion of a football style. Delap's throw-ins and Shotton's towel t-shirt have been quickly forgotten.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/12/12/article-2073311-0F2416D100000578-813_468x286.jpg

At Stoke? What the hell do you take to lure any players there? Tiny stadium at a club whose biggest achievement is winning the League Cup once in the seventies.

And who gives a crap at how you play if you're at a club like Stoke. Decent cup run and mid-table is what they're happy with. And you're right they are plenty of teams like that.... Who aren't in the PL which is the most important thing to a club like that. This sounds exactly like the papers who say us lot would rather lose 4-3 then win 1-0.

I guess Pulis' fear at Stoke was there was no need to change it. He had a system that worked for him, why change?

At Palace he had nothing to lose. I don't want him here but I don't think we'd necessarily see Stoke-like tactics if he came.

Mike Ashley will take the cheap option. He'll go for the "free" internal appointment to take us to the Summer. Ashley will gamble that the person he picks will do a good enough job to get us enough points to stay up. If he's really lucky they'll do a really good job and be popular with the fans.

I guess Pulis' fear at Stoke was there was no need to change it. He had a system that worked for him, why change?

At Palace he had nothing to lose. I don't want him here but I don't think we'd necessarily see Stoke-like tactics if he came.

Think this is spot on. He persisted with what he had at Stoke because it was working. I don't think he's necessarily married to that style.

He's a decent, average manager really. We can and will do a lot worse.

Mike Ashley will take the cheap option. He'll go for the "free" internal appointment to take us to the Summer. Ashley will gamble that the person he picks will do a good enough job to get us enough points to stay up. If he's really lucky they'll do a really good job and be popular with the fans.

This is pretty much the most likely scenario. Carver or Beardsley as caretaker, then permanently if they're not a complete disaster.

The internal appointment on an interim basis is the most likely, but the more I think of it, there might be something in the idea that Ashley has always had someone to take the flak from the fans. Until he appoints a new manager on a permanent basis, any attention will still be on Ashley, so I still reckon there's a chance a permanent appointment could be made much earlier than the end of the season.

Could be just wishful thinking, mind...

I'm predicting a Carver/Beardo interim joint-managership, and then a panicked appointment of some "remember the 90s?" dinosaur in early March when we're not looking quite safe. Colin Todd, Dave Merrington, Phil Neal, John Deehan, Dave Bassett... that sort.

Just want rid of Carver Asap.. Can't stand him.

Yep, absolute chancer.

With woodman apparently going Carver is the last offensive reminder of Pardew. Stone is completely inoffensive, maybe because I loved him as a player like Pedro. Obviously Ashley also remains but that's a long standing issue.

Guest neesy111

I wonder if Ashley already has somebody lined up.  :-X

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Sport/Pix/pictures/2009/6/16/1245144005929/Lawrie-Sanchez-001.jpg

Pulis seems like a man with some values and self respect. He'll not carry shit for Ashley so even if he does join and deploys hoofball he'll quit before long.

Sherwood reminds me of a younger, more annoying Pardew.  All talk. Little in the way of footballing philosophy except working hard. Hasn't done anything to deserve the job.

Bruce would be awful.

Would really take Pulis or Colo.