Newcastle United 4 - 2 Southampton - 24/02/13 - post-match reaction from page 40

Dave

Great win against a determined, fresh side who had a fair while to prepare for that.

Elliot - 7.5 - Good performance, never had any doubts about his capabilities as a back-up. He looks so much smaller in the frame of the goal than Krul though, but he's a good'un, this one.

Santon - 5.5 - I've said for about a month he needs resting. He's had a long season, but his foibles today weren't even to do with fatigue or anything like that. He just has very poor defensive discipline atm. He's an amazing prospect and I've always said he's worth the investment of learning on the go, but Pardew needs to have a word with him about whether Santon has ambitions to be a winger. He does not seem half as interested in defending as he does bombing forward right now.

Colo - 8 - For me, he's still the top dog in central defence. The other two have better physical attributes, but he has the ability to dictate the tempo of our play from the back. He's our Paul Scholes in that respect. His distribution from the back is unparalleled. The bicycle kick bit was just the epitome of cool. Only thing missing was him taking a casual drag on a cigarette while he did it.

Taylor and M'Biwa 7 - Both solid. Utmost confident in both of them to take us forward into the future. Hope they both stay fit. Maybe not as tight as they could have been today though.

Debuchy - 8.5 - Best game from him so far. Haven't been overly-impressed with him since his arrival if I'm honest, but he struck the balance between defending and attacking magnificently today. Well done, son. Growing into the league nicely. :thup:

Tiote - 11 - Okay, so I actually give him a 9, but he deserves two extra for not getting booked or anything. He was everywhere today. Absolutely vital for us going forward and a definite starter. Grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck, and decimated their midfield. BEAST.

Sissoko - 9 - BEAST. The addition of his energy and running from midfield, with Gouffran, gives us infinitely more dynamism and unpredictability going forward. Just immense. This guy is going to be something else. Talk about end product and technique too. Blimey, what a player we have on our hands.

Jonas - 7.5 - Good composure and running, his experience helped us out. Smart operator today. Quietly very good.

Cabaye - 8 - Slapped the ball about impressively, but looked a bit leggy. Well-taken penalty, amazing distribution.

Gouffran - 8.5 - Bit quiet for parts in that first half, but exploded into life... I absolutely adore this bloke. Doesn't give away the ball cheaply, fantastic awareness of what's around him, world-class decision-making (something SJP hasn't been graced with on a regular basis too often over the years!) and speed to burn. Hope he continues to be unnoticed by the press/media at large, and retain his place as our 'ace in the hole' ;)

Cisse - 6.5 - Attitude, there as ever. Wondergoal, happened today. Still frustrating the fuck out of me though if I'm honest. :lol:

Great win. Important. Hope we can really make our midtable finish a foregone conclusion by the time our Round 16 tie begins, so that we can focus our attention on that fully. Well done to Pardew - good team selection I thought. Understand why he went for Perch over Anita (although I do feel for Anita a little bit) when Cabaye came off. I think Anita has a lot more learning to do if I'm honest. That's fine though.

The corners of the mouth are raised when I think about Newcastle recently. I remember this. It used to happen before.

Oh, and the crowd pressured the referees well with those two non-penalty handballs before the penalty-handball. All three decisions were right I think.

Anyway, onwards - well done all. :indi:

Really glad Elliot had a good game today, I know it's his only first game in the PL but hopefully some of the more depressive personalities on here who claimed it was an absolute disaster and that we'd lose every game without Krul will realise they're wrong.

Am I the only one that thought Santon had a great game, with the exception for him going MIA for their second goal?

I also thought he had an okay game. Not his greatest but certainly not as bad as people are making out.

We battled back very well after going 1-0 down to score 2 goals. Again we conceded, but we still fought back and scored the 3rd and a bit of luck eased us to the finish line with that own goal.

Elliot's distribution was really good, very impressed by that - and I do remember always sort of liking that from him.

Thought everyone played pretty well and did their jobs with special mentions to Elliot, MYM, Debuchy, Tiote, YG, and Moussa...and of course, that fucking belter from Papisto.

Am I the only one that thought Santon had a great game, with the exception for him going MIA for their second goal?

I also thought he had an okay game. Not his greatest but certainly not as bad as people are making out.

I thought that also but his positioning needs improvement no excuses for that at all..... 1 v 1 he's a very good defender but at the moment lacks concentration and positional skills.

I agree that he had a great game. Think he was jogging back because Gouffran covered him on the left back..

Also another half another shite start.  Who's to blame for that....

That lad who sits behind Pards, giving him abuse at the start of each half irrespective of the team. Doing with his head, innit.

Guest bimpy474

West Ham losing by more than 2 would be lovely tomorrow night :D

One would be enough as we have scored more goals that them, unless it ends 10-11.

Sat and watched the game with the dad-in-law. Huge win and it takes us above them buggers down the road! More importantly, now distance between us and the bottom 3 and no reason why we can't push on now.

Cabaye and Sissoko were really classy and drove us forward. Tiote turned in a good shift and Rob Elliott did very well too.

Good end to a good week. :)

Guest bimpy474

Santon on their second goal, didn't even try to get back. That is not right like.

Carrying a knock/injury I heard, has been for a few games. Isn`t he our most used player this season ? He looks knackered.

He was rested Thursday like. Personally i'm not too worried, he's an Italian defender adjusting to our game still imo.

And he very young too, still learning the game.

Elliot - 8. Top distribution, great handling. Clean sheets seem to evade him but I cannot fault him today.

Debuchy - 7. Best game so far for us. Read the game well, good going forward. His surge forward led to the penalty.

Taylor - 7. Very solid. Towering headers, in particular. Absolutely bossed the air with him. Felt that he would break our set piece duck.

Coloccini - 6.5. He was his usual calm and composed self. That flick up just showed his class in abundance, despite the landing.

Santon - 6. Was good in the first half with his runs forward, though he needs to work on his game defensively. 2nd best to Lallana.

Tiote - 8.5. This is why we should keep him in the starting XI. Helped us win the midfield battle with an all-action and tireless effort.

Cabaye - 7.5. I thought he was relatively quiet, but he distributed the ball well and cooly tucked away the penalty.

Gouffran - 7.5. Such an intelligent player. Knows when to go direct, to do stepovers (first goal), and tracks back so well.

Sissoko - 8.5. Having him and Tiote at their pomp would bully any midfield. Impressive stamina for one who played 90 in midweek.

Jonas - 6. Was invisible at times today, but I felt he led the side well after Colo's departure.

Cisse - 6.5. His typical game. Seems to go invisible, cannot put away the easiest chances, but scores absolute howitzers from nothing.

MYM - 6.5. I felt he was solid in reading the game, though I have to rate him lower for giving the ball away cheaply at times.

Perch - 6. - Not much to say, but shored things up as always.

Anita - 6. - Same as Perch.

Pardew - 7. Not a big fan of his tactic to sit back from the off, leading to two goals. But he played the right team, and the right cards.