Newcastle United 2 - 1 Stoke City - 10/03/13 - post-match reaction from page 31

Beren

I don't think I have screamed so many obscenities towards a TV! Every time a fucking cross floated into the hands of Begovic! Shocking final ball all game! Scary, how we didn't have a clue how to break down a shit team like Stoke! No ideas, from 'so called' gifted footballers!

I am well aware that we have won the game thanks to a great ball from Marveaux, but I'm almost still on a come down of disbelief in some of the shocking balls played in the final 3rd!

Thank goodness for Marveaux - who should have been brought on the 60th minute mark. Good changes from Pardew, but it was calling out to be changed from the start of the 2nd half!!

The only relief is obviously the 3 points and the fact that other teams don't play like Stoke - a Championship outfit, who are just physical and long ball! It's almost like we play better against better footballing teams!

Nice to see we've West Brom'd the win again but our performance was dire. So unimaginative and we nearly lost to the worst away performance I've seen all season. It's relief but once again papering over the cracks.

On a positive note, Marveaux's pass to Cisse was glorious. And that's us safe for another year.

Just terrible final ball but very little space to run into most the time. Bad performance but I don't agree it was dire. We pretty much nullified their threat, they only scored because Tiote is the stupidest footballer in the world

Our corners are beyond a joke. So hopeless it's not even funny anymore. The annoying thing is the players don't look interested in even trying to get to the ball. Some of the corners today were plenty good enough to cause problems for them, yet we cause almost more problems for ourselves. Pathetic.

Anyway, decent first half - fucking awful second half. Pardew out :thup:

Yay for the win. Feels very hollow to me but whatever.

You bored of watching it now?

This is what I forget in between games, how much I hate watching the games.  Kind of hit home a bit today.  There's no need for it to be this tedious.

This is what I forget in between games, how much I hate watching the games.  Kind of hit home a bit today.  There's no need for it to be this tedious.

Feel quite disconnected if I'm honest. The Chelsea home match was exciting as fuck, the movement, the dynamism.. but it was very much a flash in the pan.

Don't feel on the same wavelength as the forum any more, either. Barely celebrated the winner. Just prolonging the avoidable mediocrity/papering over the cracks. Escaping relegation for the season is so far below the minimum we ought to have expected given our personnel/resources, that I can't bring myself to celebrate that shit.

We're basically safe now IMO, so maybe that will see the shackles come off a bit.

Guest Bert Shaft

Hope Haidara gets more game time in the Premiership. Santon is burnt out, looks jaded/short of ideas. Haidara is Clubber Lang, he's hungry and he has the Eye of the Tiger.

Looks an excellent prospect.

Santon has done OK this season but I think that he is lacking a little bit defensively which is why Jonas is always in the team to give him defensive back up.

Haidara does look the real deal though and hopefully we may have a top left back on our books in a year or two.

Still disappointing

Elliot - 6.5 Not much to do at all

Debuchy 6.5 Great positioning today. Crossing was a bit meh

Saylor 7.5 Lovely stuff for Cabaye's goal

Mapou 7 Dealt with everything that came his way

Santon 6 Haidara is my first choice Left back in all competitions.

Tiote 5.5 So s**** for the penalty, zero composure, not much positive to talk about

Cabaye 6.5 Great free kick, perfect area for him. Corners are rubbish, not sure how he keeps getting the corner taking gig

Jonas 4.5 Not involved at all in an attacking sense. Really needed him to offer something different. Shouldn't start ahead of Marv imo

Gouffran 5.5 can't fault the effort but really had a lot of chances to influence the game and he didn't

Sissoko 6.5 Some great runs but final ball and decision making in attack was mediocre

Cisse 6.5 Great finish, thought there were a few moments where he held up the ball quite well

Elliott - 7 - didn't do much, one or two nervous kickouts

Debuchy - 6 - would be much much higher if all his crosses hadn't gone straight to Begovic (who i think to his credit was excellent at it), better than Simpsons out of play I suppose, there's a chance for the keeper to make the error

Steven Taylor - 9 - Always going to be needed against Stoke set pieces and did everything right. Also that trolling of Begovic, legend.

MYM - 8 - Looked fine, didn't make many threatening runs mind

Santon - 5 - Nearly cost us a goal first half with his standard low concentration defending, did alright at other end, but wish he hadn't gone for shot a few times

Cabaye - 8 - Always fighting, working had, if he could just get the corners into a dangerous place this might have been a 10 performance. Took free kick very well, covered for lack of Tiote defensively after he'd gone fine too. Not a hint of tiredness from thursday.

Tiote - 4 - Thought he was alright at times, him and Cabaye interchanging well meant we could keep possession often, however all thrown away with a tackle no defensively minded player should ever attempt.

Sissoko - 7 - Marked up for so often bringing the ball into attack but didn't ever really make a decent final ball. I'd be happy for him to be dropped deeper and Marv playing no 10 from now on, doubt Pards will agree mind

Gouffran - 6 - Bit unfortunate not to be rewarded for hard work and trickery with a goal, commentators were tearing into him really harshly imo, he only got one clear chance and it was difficult, often didn't have best options available. Disappeared from the game in the second half counts against him.

Jonas - 4 - One time his hold up play destroyed some Stoke pressure but otherwise trite game offering nothing

Cisse - 5 - Harsh score cos he scored...but otherwise very frustrating game, but he's not a player (like Ba) who will thrive against a team like Stoke, he needs space behind a defence. Having said that bit of an excuse at this point, and his passing was poor, also no need to lose his temper.

Subs

Haidara - 6 - Looked good coming on, but hardly fixed our inability to beat Begovic with crosses problem, one near slipup in defence but recovered.

Marveaux - 8 - Playing centrally he can influence and added creativity we were sorely lacking. Made the goal.

Campbell - n/a - Not on long enough, but nice to be involved in the goal

I wasn't that impressed with Haidara today tbh, wasn't that solid defensively and offered zilch offensively.

I was very impressed against Anzhi and Metalist mind but i think Santon was better than he was today, which isn't hard mind considering Santon had many more minutes but i don't think Haidara did anything worthy of praise.

Awful match, awful Stoke. Glad we got the winner.

Looking like we will only need another 5 to 6 pts to be sure of safety.

Fucking stoke and their awkwardness of football.  Wanktrolls.

I don't know which game Beren was watching claiming Cabaye was rubbish. He is so, so important for us.

He wasn't rubbish like, a bit erratic like everyone on the bloody pitch for us but he wasn't rubbish.

I shudder to think what would happen if he wasn't there, oh wait i already know  :lol: