Newcastle United 2 - 1 Stoke City - 10/03/13 - post-match reaction from page 31

Beren

4th in the form table, mackems bottom, Wigan 17th while they are bottom in home form. I don't know why I'm putting this here, just fancied letting people know  :lol:

this is what my hopeful relegation posts were based on.

Tiote will get a kicking on here tonight, and Cabaye will be lauded for his freekick :lol: :lol:

Tiote deserves to get a kicking, his challenge was f***ing stupid but I agree he had a blinding game apart from that.

Cabeye however, his dead ball skills are f***ing gash! I know we want to keep the guy happy so he doesn't leave us, but come on, someone has to tell him that he's off corners and (indirect) free kicks!

Tiote will get a kicking on here tonight, and Cabaye will be lauded for his freekick :lol: :lol:

someone has to tell him that he's off free kicks!

Wouldn't have won the game if he was :lol:

You missed my quick edit....meant to say indirect free kicks.

Obviously direct shots on goals he's got a reasonable record.

Great result.

Rotten conditions for playing football which helped them and their horrible style. Quite reassuring that our predominantley foreign team can grind out a victory in the worst of English weather, against the team probably most suited to them.

Although I agree that the display wasn't pretty, some of the negativity on here is laughable. Stoke are a well organised and big unit that requires a different type of tactic to play against. Like midweek against Anzhi, we set up to squash their outlets and this did take away from our attacking play. The conditions were horrible and you could see from any goal kick or high floated ball just how much the ball was moving in the air. Keeping it on the deck wasn't easy either as the ball was sticking on the surface, bouncing high other times (Gouffran's close range shot), bobbling all over the place...and that's before you include the wild, swinging legs of Stoke. We were very scrappy in the final third but I thought our defence and midfield were generally organised and in control. As case of poor Stoke or well done us for not allowing them to play the only 'football' they know?

Delighted with the winner and chuffed to bits in the strength we showed to match and overpower anti football Stoke. In other games and other seasons we would have crumbled. I'm also delighted that I have all my fingers, toes and limbs intact because I was freezing!

I don't have any agenda about our football. I want it to improve, I was frustrated by how we played so many aimless crosses towards Stoke's giant CBs today. If I was manager, I would go for Anita and Marveaux over Jonas and Tiote.

But when my team gets a result against a horrible side like Stoke, with a class freekick goal and a late winner from our number 9, I'm happy about it.

:thup:

Exactly how I feel.