Benfica 3 - 1 Newcastle United - 04/04/13 - post-match reaction from page 62

Dave

Guest Pablito

If that was the best you play for a long time, then I think Benfica will make the semi finals. Because Benfica can do much better, actually, I was expecting more from my team yesterday. I dont think we played that well, but we deserved to win, statistics never lie.

Benefica-------------------Newcastle

Possession

55%-------------------------45%

Goal attempts

23----------------------------7

Corners

12----------------------------0

Fouls

8----------------------------15

offside

0-----------------------------3

Bookings

2-----------------------------2

1. Not that bad considering we were away.

2. How many of them were from range?

3. Didn't do anything with them and we know we can't either.

4. Aye right, whatever the ref says.

5. Fuck off, we all know that's wrong.

6. Seems average.

Guest Pablito

Just got home after being "kettled".

Anyone still think Benfica are world beaters? They were very average again.

Unfortunately we were s**** .

One of the best in Europe according to Pardew

They are dog toffee, shame we couldn't give them a game.

Not sure who to blame, depressing.

:lol:

Classic reaction. I get you're p*ssed off with the manner of the goals, anyone would be. But there's a natural tendency to think the opposition wasn't any good when you're blaming yourselves for a defeat.

They weren't world beating, they weren't brilliant, but they were good. Their passing and movement was clearly superior and thus deserved to win the game. Despite that however the tie is far from over due to their very slack defending.

But yes, can totally see why you'd be p*ssed off at how the goals came about.

I watch them every week and don't rate them, I think a decent team would take them to the cleaners.

In my opinion they are very average, bar a couple of stupid mistakes we could have been set tonight so yes I am frustrated.

Benfica are basically rubbish. They'd struggle to finish in the top8 of the PL. We had almost complete chillax for the first 45min in their stadium. I still think they will collapse if we score early...Crying like babies and diving and holding their faces and the usual South American rigmarole. Benfica are a fraud in a league that is is championship level bar 2/3 sides.

Could easily have been 3-3. :lol:

You are right, Benfica was rubbish yesterday and scored 3 goals, imagine if we play our best in the second leg. I mean, to be honest I think both teams can do better, I felt some anxiety from both sides last night.

Oh aye. I just never feel confident with him as he seems to rarely get anywhere near them :lol:

Wasn't far off their 'second' one last night.

I thought his dive was a bit late and/or hesitant tbh, it was a great penalty but I think he would have stopped it if he fully committed.

If that was the best you play for a long time, then I think Benfica will make the semi finals. Because Benfica can do much better, actually, I was expecting more from my team yesterday. I dont think we played that well, but we deserved to win, statistics never lie.

I disagree. We had as many clear cut chances as you did, it was a very good away team performance from us. You were always going to dominate posession and have shots from anywhere, we were simply undone by two horrendous individual errors.

Oh aye. I just never feel confident with him as he seems to rarely get anywhere near them :lol:

Wasn't far off their 'second' one last night.

I thought his dive was a bit late and/or hesitant tbh, it was a great penalty but I think he would have stopped it if he fully committed.

I think he was expecting him to plow it down the middle as he did with the first. I'd have done the same tbh.

You were the better side. But statistics never lie?! What a crock of shit! :lol:

Guest Pablito

Depends the type of statistics of course. In this case, go and look and the attempts of both teams.

I don't think we played that well to be honest, I disagree when you say we had good possession. We struggled in the midfield with Matic and Gomes on their own. Normally we play with Matic and Enzo which works a lot better as Gomes is to young and has different characteristics.

Those who thought we were the better team are delusional . All good with the rose tinted glasses and all but the stats don't lie. We might have score more goals but Benfica seem to be able to up another gear if it was necessary.  Unfortunately that was the best we play for a long time and where our standards are, basically we broke down to Man city when we invite pressure and the same happened here.

12 corners to our nil

23 attempts to our 7

if we were Benfica and we lost i would be crying fowl....

The fundamental problem is that we are too passive we need to grab the game by the horns more often in games....How many games how we look to be the second best team in this season. Too too often...

Who are these people?

The thing is our manager will be forced to go against his inhabitation and go full on at St James' Park, it's a mammoth task but I fully would have expected us to sit back and take an anal raping had we came home with a lead in the tie :lol:

Guest Pablito

The thing is our manager will be forced to go against his inhabitation and go full on at St James' Park, it's a mammoth task but I fully would have expected us to sit back and take an anal raping had we came home with a lead in the tie :lol:

You have really good players, I think Newcastle can do much better to be honest. I mean, you are 3 points above relegation right? That does not reflect your potential, you have a great quality at the front, I think Cisse and Sissoko are very very good.

You have really good players, I think Newcastle can do much better to be honest. I mean, you are 3 points above relegation right? That does not reflect your potential, you have a great quality at the front, I think Cisse and Sissoko are very very good.

I think our squad is probably the 6th best in the league, in all honesty. We were missing key players Coloccini, Debuchy, Tiote, Ben Arfa and Gouffran last night. However we have had terrible luck with injuries this season and a manager that can only scrape results when his best 11 are out there. I think a good manager could have us consistantly challenging for European places.

Benfica didn't play as well as they could because we played quite well. We took it to them, kept the ball well at times, threatened their back 4 which aren't as good as their front four. It could have been anything from 1-1, 2-1, 1-2 or 2-2 if Santon hadn't been an utter fucking cretin.

I'm not writing anything off for the next leg. All I know is Shola needs locked up prior to the team sheet coming out.

Guest Spark

Didn't Pardew do a good job last year?

No. It was all down to the players. This season, it's his fault.

go and look and the attempts of both teams.

This all means nothing as well, a lot of your attempts (as I've said earlier in the thread) we punts from 20-25 yards out and were pitiful 'attempts'.  Clear cut chances would probably be a fairer statistic, yes you still had more but it wouldn't be as one sided as your making out.

Didn't Pardew do a good job last year?

Shhh don't say that you'll get hounded on here for that.

Fwiw we've won all but one game at home (the other being a 0-0 draw which we had two goals disallowed against Metalist) since the influx so I'm still quite optimistic