Benfica 3 - 1 Newcastle United - 04/04/13 - post-match reaction from page 62

Dave

Hey United fans.

My view of the game:

N. United impressed me in the first half, not really good at defending but great in the counter attack. Cisse, Gutierrez and Sissoko are top class. Krul made an amazing game aswell. Thats it for an unlucky United.

Benfica dissapointed me  :huff:, the defending was horrible, every long ball to Cisse meant danger and when we were attacking we were a bit clumsy with the ball (maybe due to the heavy rain that fell b4 the match). Andre Gomes has a good future but he didn't made a good game which meant that Matic would have to play for 2 players, him and Enzo Perez in the center midfield. Ola John seemed a bit lazy and Melgarejo's side was literally a hole. In the 2nd half we played better (also due to the subs.) but still not good enough for me. Gaitán on the other hand made a very decent game. Anyways we did a good result despite the not so impressive exhibition and that's what matters.

At the end of the game both team's fans applauded each other and that was a good highlight for me aswell.  :)

:)

You have  a beautiful stadium and your fans were great before and after the game. Look forward to thrashing you in Newcastle

Fail to see what the ref did wrong.... all the big decisions were correct which is all you can ask for from a ref.

He even gave you a penalty and you won the game :lol: actually that belongs in my pet hates " complaining at refs when you win the game".

Fail to see what the ref did wrong.... all the big decisions were correct which is all you can ask for from a ref.

He even gave you a penalty and you won the game :lol: actually that belongs in my pet hates " complaining at refs when you win the game".

Except the one that went for them :lol:

I can only imagine that Benfica fans aren't used to the physicality as much and wanted more fouls given when one of their players fell over holding their face?

Guest The Legendary Tiger Man

Except the one that went for them :lol:

I can only imagine that Benfica fans aren't used to the physicality as much and wanted more fouls given when one of their players fell over holding their face?

Yes, a little bit. It's quite different, we don't allow so much contact here, a major part of what you consider normal, we consider it a foul  >:D

That's also why you guys see our players as divers while we protest about the violent english play ;D

As far as I know, most of us Benfiquistas are complaining about the yellow cards given, too many for us too few for you. Personally, I think the ref wasn't that good, as all the french ref, but it's not like he decided the game or the tie, there was no significant mistake, so I see no point in discussing it.

As soon as someone puts any kind of pressure on us, i expect us to lose. Thats down to Pardew.

Tonight is very much down to santon. Hope Haidara can push him on to a higher level than this abysmal show tonight.

Santon is NOT a good defender - I hope Haidara can keep him out of the side, never mind pushing him forward.

FBs are there to defend, and he is very poor at doing it - would sell if the right offer came in.

Think we have blown it unfortunately. Have to get a result against Fulham first before we think about next Thursday.

Fail to do that and the alarm bells will be clanging as loudly as at any time in the season.....

I really liked Sissoko, I didn't expect to see him playing so upfront but he did well, specially in the best period of United. Took us a bit too long before adjusting to his position.

Just got home after being "kettled".

Anyone still think Benfica are world beaters? They were very average again.

Unfortunately we were s**** .

Lol, we played without our (maybe) 4 best players: Salvio, Lima, Enzo, and Maxi!

Lets wait to 2nd leg. I can bet with you that you won't win the game.

And take a look at this: http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/data/method4/trank2014.html

in next year we will be the 6th best Team in Europe! We'll be in pote 1. So Benfica isn't very average, we are really a good team  :)

You played without 4 of your best players but I saw 3 of those you listed in the pitch today? :lol:

I really liked Sissoko, I didn't expect to see him playing so upfront but he did well, specially in the best period of United. Took us a bit too long before adjusting to his position.

I agree with you, from my point of view our front 4 so to speak played well( Jonas, Marveaux, Sissoko and Cisse) shame for us that it could not be replicated by our back 6.( except for Simpson who IMO played well)

By the way which Benfica players did you guys liked the most/less?

I did not quite like the ones who scored. :pow:

:pow:

Ahah love that smiley

Matic and Garay were top notch! Gaitan and Cardozo i dont like. Cardozo cause i dont really rate him any good even though he scores, hes a selfish player and can only shoot. Gaitan i didnt mind before today!

Wish we had Matic in Garay in our team!

Matic and Garay were top notch! Gaitan and Cardozo i dont like. Cardozo cause i dont really rate him any good even though he scores, hes a selfish player and can only shoot. Gaitan i didnt mind before today!

Wish we had Matic in Garay in our team!

O0

I'd like to thank Chelsea for giving away Matic  :smitten:

Lima played and scored  :lol:

Anyway Ben Arfa, Coloccini, Debuchy, Gouffran & Tiote were all out or unavailable so that argument doesn't really hold up. Ben Arfa being out for us is pretty much the footballing equivalent of Peter North losing his bollocks.

:lol: poignant