Why no playoffs?

Mike
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If that's the case why don't Chelsea win the cup every single season?

The FA Cup isn't taken as seriously and also Chelsea haven't been a boring team for all of the last ten years. Look at how many games between the top teams are won by the counter attacking team that defend well

It's probably a big clue about how I feel about NUFC and football in general that I'm starting to lean towards the idea that this should absolutely definitely happen like :lol:

This current situation ain't working for me anymore.

For reference, just 3 years ago my view was:

Shut up Mike.

:lol: sifu is killing it recently. Close thread.

That was after posting a spoilered photo of Grace Jones so Mike would click it, which as everyone knows is bang out of order.

I'd prefer a team to win the league that had flair and creativity rather than a counter attacking team with a good defence winning it which would probably be the case a lot of the time

giphy.gif

Do you actually want to argue a counter point?

The FA Cup isn't taken as seriously and also Chelsea haven't been a boring team for all of the last ten years. Look at how many games between the top teams are won by the counter attacking team that defend well

Wouldn't actually know off the top of my head but i'm pretty sure City win the league majority of the big games they play, especially at home. There's plenty of reasons to be against this but i don't think the argument that a defensive team possibly winning it would be one of them as i don't believe that there is a particularly advantage.

Wouldn't actually know off the top of my head but i'm pretty sure City win the league majority of the big games they play, especially at home. There's plenty of reasons to be against this but i don't think the argument that a defensive team possibly winning it would be one of them as i don't believe that there is a particularly advantage.

Don't have stats to hand either but look at Liverpool and Man Utd for example. Both boring teams at the moment that find it difficult to beat the weaker teams but will get results against the better teams because of the tactics they employ as has already been shown this season. Man Utd don't deserve to win the league ahead of Arsenal for example just because they beat them in a one off game which could easily happen

I'd prefer a team to win the league that had flair and creativity rather than a counter attacking team with a good defence winning it which would probably be the case a lot of the time

giphy.gif

There's no need. What you're saying is just wrong.

giphy.gif

How is it wrong? Teams that sit back and counter or play a risk free game don't often beat teams that try to create things and control the game? A playoff system benefits teams that don't have the flair to control a game and break teams down but instead defend in numbers and counter against teams that do try to dominate a game and control things

It would just lead to a perfect scenario for cunts like Mourinho, Pardew, Big Sam, Pulis IMO. Sit back, defend with 10 men back, get a set piece, win 1-0 or bring it to penalties

How so? Those managers don't do well in the cups as it is right now.

It would just lead to a perfect scenario for cunts like Mourinho, Pardew, Big Sam, Pulis IMO. Sit back, defend with 10 men back, get a set piece, win 1-0 or bring it to penalties

They'd only have to play against the big teams in the playoffs, there wouldn't be any need to attack or try to create something such as there would be if they played a smaller team

It would just lead to a perfect scenario for c***s like Mourinho, Pardew, Big Sam, Pulis IMO. Sit back, defend with 10 men back, get a set piece, win 1-0 or bring it to penalties

I feel like this opinion is based largely on Mourinho's success in the CL. Yes, he's negative (and a bit of a dick), but he's also an outstanding manager. Of course, a defensive team can do well and ride their luck (see Greece 2004), but I don't think there's any significant evidence that what you're saying is true.

They'd only have to play against the big teams in the playoffs, there wouldn't be any need to attack or try to create something such as there would be if they played a smaller team

What about in the CL or any competition for that matter? When Barca, Bayern or Real play a lesser team who defends and plays that style, they usually win. The best team always wins no matter what. That's just how it is.

I just wish that German team won the last WC wouldn't have been so defensive. Boring cunts only scored 7 in the semi final, not even double figures man.

Well done on missing the point spectacularly

Oh, don't worry, I get our point. I'm just making fun of it because it's spectacularly unfounded.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that some teams are better suited to playing against better sides where they can sit back and counter rather than playing against smaller teams where they have to create. I think that this system would benefit those teams rather than teams that play good football and don't play a boring risk free style

giphy.gif

So far we're 2-0 triggs here mind. I didn't even necessarily agree with him in the start.

There is a distinct possibility that certain sides would attempt to use those tactics, but there is no evidence to say that it's by any means a flawless tactic, and thus I believe your concerns to be unfounded.