Alan Pardew

Mike

Guest neesy111

Aye because we can go out and buy English players with the quality of Lewandowski etc etc :lol:

You just are not being realistic.

Remember when we were pushing for a Champions League place in January then all these French guys came in & ruined it all?

Always have to look for someone to blame though.

:dowiespin:

When the fuck was that?

Guest firetotheworks

When we were seen as good it was Alan Pardew has done a brilliant job, manager of the year.

Now we're clearly shit? Must be those pesky French players!

Utter, unfathomable bullshit.

Aye because we can go out and buy English players with the quality of Lewandowski etc etc :lol:

Remember when we were pushing for a Champions League place in January then all these French guys came in & ruined it all?

When the f*** was that?

My point exactly.  :lol:

I was just about to say this, it's all well and good saying we could do with a spine of homegrown talent but we can't afford to buy it in, and we don't produce good enough talent ourselves. Simple as that.

Guest Nixon

I'd also like to make this addendum.

Too often we play this game on paper. Perhaps it's the prominence of video games like Football Manager and FIFA that try their best to recreate the nuance of a league season. We load a game as Newcastle, play a few matches, and think wow we are brilliant.

There's a quote in Manchester City's academy building (I don't know where it stems but still) and it reads "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard." While it might seem like cliché, as we've seen with the neighbours across the road, if you're willing to put in herculean amounts of effort you can get results. You need the desire there. Part of that comes form the manager's ability to relay tactics and also inspire through instructions.

Unfortunately what these games don't account for is mentality, and more relevant to us, settling in.

To change culture (football and even lifestyle) mid-season must be quite a bizarre experience. France is the closest European league to England in terms of physicality and speed combined, but it still isn't England. That's not to say the Premier League is the best, but of the top league's it is the fastest and most demanding. It's for that reason that it leads Europe for goals stemming from individual error.

In an ideal situation, we'd have had Coloccini playing alongside MYM to coax him in, to teach him when to take risks and when to be simple. His back injury has inhibited that, but personally I'd have had Coloccini on the training pitch coaching him rather than back in Argentina. Yes the player's have the potential to be a top 8 or even top 6 side, but until they put in the effort and play with a style conducive to their collective talents that's all it is - potential.

We're just missing substance all over the park, to be fair. Nowt to do with nationality in itself.

That said, the fact that Mbiwa stars in a league winning side in France and comes over here and looks out his depth physically tells its own story.

Yes it does. Makes you wonder why we don't win the World Cup every time for a start since our players should physically dominate every other side, especially those Spanish midgets who are currently holders of the title.

Oh yeah, that'll be a huge comfort if we go down. Mbiwa getting physically dominated has been partially at fault for us losing our last 2 home games by 3 and 6 goals.

When the f*** was that?

Sarcasm.

I agree with TT and Gary Neville and have argued that point many times before. Talk of xenophobia is simply nonsense.

We don't need an English spine to the team at all, we need a manager who can get the best out of the players we have, that's all we're missing.

It's not coincidence that nearly every successful club has that national spine to them, in fact they're nearly always local too. This is particularly obvious in those clubs that sustain such success.

It's not coincidence I agree, but our problems have nothing to do with the nationality of our spine.

I do think that the levels of success achievable by having a spine (often local having grown up together locally) come through together probably outstrips the potential of individuals brought in to play together. That is definitely I something the club should work towards, but that is a long-term project - and is a pipedream at present with Pardew trying to make his mark at a grassroots level (:anguish:) - I wish that was even close to being one of my main troubles with the club :lol:

[/iMO]

I agree, it's a long term issue, but I always thought that we were too fast to tear out the heart of the team in the summer of 2011. It looked ok last year but the cracks have appeared this time round. Of a typical recent starting XI, only Jonas and Taylor have been at the club more than two years - that's a dangerous game to play because it's built on sand. You can't buy a backbone to a team, it's something that has to develop.

'I came up against this subject many times,' added Wenger. 'You cannot want to be the best league in the world and close the borders, because then you're not. So you have to find a good mixture. I think the good mixture is to produce the players from your own academies and buy top, top, top class players.

Oh and the knock out blow, wait for it dickheads:

“The difference between Arsenal today and my generation is that we had a backbone of English players,” said Pires.

“I’ve said this for years. Arsenal’s identity during the time they still won trophies was that spine of Englishmen.

“During my time they had Tony Adams, Martin Keown, David Seaman, Lee Dixon, Ray Parlour and Nigel Winterburn – all very important players.

“Our strength was the mixture of Englishmen and talented arrivals from Europe.

“Now the club has some very good youngsters but they still lack experience.

“To my mind the only solution for Arsenal is to buy some English players.

“Arsene Wenger has talented players, but the team lacks a solid base.

“I think it would do Arsenal good to rediscover some of the identity they had in the past.”

Lewandowski's Polish isn't he?

Well said Nixon.

I couldn't believe Waddle even chiming in on it after he played in France. He is a mackem c*nt though who slags us at every opportunity. Someone should remind him that we've had two French wingers that are more fondly remembered than him.

Pardew's tactics are terrible and he's lost the dressing room. The "long balls played" stat is a simple indicator of why. Its more than Stoke with Crouch and Cameron Jerome ffs! The demoralization of the team means that they are more likely to disappear as they did at 3-0 on Saturday.

Guest Dontooner

Criminal to be the team that plays the most long balls, we don't have the tall physical players for that type of football.

Car crash of a post all round there.

Ok.... Hummels, Gotze or Gundogan then? same goes for all Barca's catalan talent.... these types would cost 20m+ before they even blew up in England.

'I came up against this subject many times,' added Wenger. 'You cannot want to be the best league in the world and close the borders, because then you're not. So you have to find a good mixture. I think the good mixture is to produce the players from your own academies and buy top, top, top class players.

“The difference between Arsenal today and my generation is that we had a backbone of English players,” said Pires.

“I’ve said this for years. Arsenal’s identity during the time they still won trophies was that spine of Englishmen.

“During my time they had Tony Adams, Martin Keown, David Seaman, Lee Dixon, Ray Parlour and Nigel Winterburn – all very important players.

“I think it would do Arsenal good to rediscover some of the identity they had in the past.”

Wenger, being the very successful manager is right. He has always said you have to have players from the academy (hence why he spent the Anelka money on it), or at least players that have been at the club a long time. That is a totally different thing to attributing attributes to a nationality and thinking buying that nationality is a solution. Organically building a team slowly with an engrained style of play, is certainly something that is beneficial. That is the reason he is turning to British players now as he said recently he thinks he has a better chance of holding onto them long-term instead of losing key players every season in their current run on the ladder.

Pires the flair player who has yet to coach or manage has less of a clue. To say they should just buy some English players and expect it to fix all their problems is moronic.

We're just missing substance all over the park, to be fair. Nowt to do with nationality in itself.

That said, the fact that Mbiwa stars in a league winning side in France and comes over here and looks out his depth physically tells its own story.

Yes it does. Makes you wonder why we don't win the World Cup every time for a start since our players should physically dominate every other side, especially those Spanish midgets who are currently holders of the title.

Oh yeah, that'll be a huge comfort if we go down. Mbiwa getting physically dominated has been partially at fault for us losing our last 2 home games by 3 and 6 goals.

Well then you should really have been questioning why he is being put in a position to be put physically dominated in the first place. How many big powerful strikers was he up against in the last two games?

Guest Nixon

Apostrophe in "players" breaks my heart from a professional journalist.

Genuine apologies. I'd have never got this job in the 40's, my typewriter would be surrounded by crumpled papers. I don't even feel right blaming a 12 hour day either.

Wenger, being the very successful manager is right. He has always said you have to have players from the academy, or at least players that have been at the club a long time. That is a totally different thing to attributing attributes to a nationality and thinking buying that nationality is a solution. Organically building a team slowly with an engrained style of play, is certainly something that is beneficial. That is the reason he is turning to British players now as he said recently he thinks he has a better chance of holding onto them long-term instead of losing key players every season in their current run on the ladder.

Pires the flair player who has yet to coach or manage has less of a clue. To say they should just buy some English players and expect it to fix all their problems is moronic.

He has more of a clue than you or I, since he's played football at the highest level and was involved in said successful Arsenal team.

Or do you think that much of your own opinion you put it above his on this subject?

Apostrophe in "players" breaks my heart from a professional journalist.

Genuine apologies. I'd have never got this job in the 40's, my typewriter would be surrounded by crumpled papers. I don't even feel right blaming a 12 hour day either.

We've all had long days to be fair. There's simply no excuse for what you did.

Well then you should really have been questioning why he is being put in a position to be put physically dominated in the first place. How many big powerful strikers was he up against in the last two games?

Sturridge, massive bastard.