Alan Pardew

Mike

There was a few people who believed we should have upgraded him at the end of the season when we were 5th tbf and it was hardly a daft opinion. Maybe a bit harsh but the signs were there that the squad was outgrowing him, or at least looked like it was going to until Mike put a halt to it.

But they were the people who never wanted him from day 1, many supporters he won over during that season and very few were calling for him to be sacked. Obviously the tragedy of last season just took people back to their feelings of when he was announced as our manager, which can't really be blamed for doing so giving actually how bad last season was. Then now there’s only a few who actually want him to have another crack at it.

He definitely won a lot of fans over but there were still worrying signs there and a lot of people were questioning whether we were in the top 6 because of him or in spite of him.

Well majority now saying this season that the players quality on the pitch as individuals is irrelevant as they can't get a manager out of trouble if they are poorly managed so it can't be spite of him. Pardew needs credit for finishing 5 points off being in the champions league regardless of how last season unravelled. I personally think it was a mix of both, don’t think Pardew was some sort of master tactician that got us there but don’t think it solely rested at the players ability. Thought there was a number of contributing factors and all of which I feel can still be brought back to the side next season.

Living a fantasy world. What decent manager comes anywhere near a club that spends no money, willingly lies to managers about transfers and sacks them for finishing 5th?

Could argue that happened to SBR.

The Window when we only signed Bowyer

Speed sold without his prior knowledge

Sacked after finishing the season before in 5th.

We were a totally different club with ambition then. The Bowyer summer was the exception, never the rule.

Plus, who did we attract then? The worst manager in recent NUFC history. :lol:

I reckon Pardew has a worst win %

Win % can be a problematic way to assess managers.

Especially if it shows them in a worst light than you want them to :lol:

I was one of the ones who was happy with him like, I thought he had a great season personally other than his (imo) horrific treatment of Ben Arfa probably costing us a top 4 spot. There was a clear contrast though between us and the sides around us in the way we were winning points which was a decent indicator of it not continuing.

Really ?

Isn't there a widely held belief in football that Pardew has handled Ben Arfa better than any of his previous coaches and that they they enjoy a good relationship ?

I was one of the ones who was happy with him like, I thought he had a great season personally other than his (imo) horrific treatment of Ben Arfa probably costing us a top 4 spot. There was a clear contrast though between us and the sides around us in the way we were winning points which was a decent indicator of it not continuing.

Really ?

Isn't there a widely held belief in football that Pardew has handled Ben Arfa better than any of his previous coaches and that they they enjoy a good relationship ?

I'd like Hans to say what was this horrific treatment? Not throwing him in the moment he was fit and easing him back after he recovered from a horrific long term injury?

Pardew is a doormat and he makes decisions to please "Mike" this will inevitably lead to his downfall, but he wouldnt of lasted this long if he wasnt so his tactics he is using to keep his job are working very well.

Maybe, but what would be the result of a manager challenging and falling out with Ashley all the time?

Living a fantasy world. What decent manager comes anywhere near a club that spends no money, willingly lies to managers about transfers and sacks them for finishing 5th?

We were a totally different club with ambition then. The Bowyer summer was the exception, never the rule.

its one way of assessing managers but doesn't tell the whole story such as resources available (Keegan in first era compared to himself 2nd time around or Pardew now for example) and there has to be a footnote for Hughtons win % since a large number of those were in the 2nd tier. Plus take into account respective positions when they took over, Souness for example took over a side that had finished in the european positions including champions league spots for a few seasons and destroyed that side. Pardew took over a newly promoted side.

Pardew is a doormat and he makes decisions to please "Mike" this will inevitably lead to his downfall, but he wouldnt of lasted this long if he wasnt so his tactics he is using to keep his job are working very well.

Maybe, but what would be the result of a manager challenging and falling out with Ashley all the time?

He wont be granted a new 8 year contract?

He wont be granted a new 8 year contract?

Yeah, he would be quickly sacked and someone brought in who could work with the regime. Therefore, any manager would have to do what Pardew is doing. Therefore, it's not a valid criticism.

There was a few people who believed we should have upgraded him at the end of the season when we were 5th tbf and it was hardly a daft opinion. Maybe a bit harsh but the signs were there that the squad was outgrowing him, or at least looked like it was going to until Mike put a halt to it.

But they were the people who never wanted him from day 1, many supporters he won over during that season and very few were calling for him to be sacked. Obviously the tragedy of last season just took people back to their feelings of when he was announced as our manager, which can't really be blamed for doing so giving actually how bad last season was. Then now there’s only a few who actually want him to have another crack at it.

He definitely won a lot of fans over but there were still worrying signs there and a lot of people were questioning whether we were in the top 6 because of him or in spite of him.

Well majority now saying this season that the players quality on the pitch as individuals is irrelevant as they can't get a manager out of trouble if they are poorly managed so it can't be spite of him. Pardew needs credit for finishing 5 points off being in the champions league regardless of how last season unravelled. I personally think it was a mix of both, don’t think Pardew was some sort of master tactician that got us there but don’t think it solely rested at the players ability. Thought there was a number of contributing factors and all of which I feel can still be brought back to the side next season.

Personally I think we finished 5th due to his cautious playing style picking up an inordinate amount of points before Taylor's injury (and other teams sussed us a bit) and our individual players doing enough to win games that we weren't exactly dazzling in, that showed in our goal difference too. We saw the same last season only our defence was rocked from the start through injury and it was really just Ba who turned up for half of the year.

The Cort, Bassedas & Cordone summer was hardly fun in his first full season.

When Roeder and Souness are within 2% of Sir Bobby Robson you see why it's a problem.

Having said that Pardew has a win% of 35. Allardyce clocked 33%. Considering for all intents and purposes we have peaked under Pardew its pretty grim.

theres very few managers about these days who don't do exactly what they're told by the owner above. One of the last who could realistically challenged the owners was Fergie and even he went out of his way to praise the Glazers despite general disgust for them in the supporters. Wengers about the only one left who could challenge his "boss" now but even he doesn't for whatever reason.

Really ?

I'd like Hans to say what was this horrific treatment? Not throwing him in the moment he was fit and easing him back after he recovered from a horrific long term injury?

I've been through it before, as have others, but he didn't just "ease him in" he completely shut him out and relegated him to the odd 20 minute cameo every other game (if that) in favour of Ryan Taylor and Obertan because "his stats weren't right."

He actually played about very well for 70 minutes against Man City ~3 months before the mackem match where he made it virtually impossible for Pardew to drop him.

theres very few managers about these days who don't do exactly what they're told by the owner above. One of the last who could realistically challenged the owners was Fergie and even he went out of his way to praise the Glazers despite general disgust for them in the supporters. Wengers about the only one left who could challenge his "boss" now but even he doesn't for whatever reason.

Wenger does not challenge his boss, not for last 7 seasons or so.  He's a company man,  one of the highest paid in the league .  He loves it.  His bank account.

Ben Arfa barely played before Christmas that season and when he did he featured in the middle while you had Obertan flattering to deceive on the right. It was only when Ben Arfa bailed Pardew out a couple of times that he was given a decent run in the team on the wing. It was total overkill, there were games such as Norwich away when he didn't even feature when we were crying out for him. Nobody can tell me he shouldn't have had far more minutes that season and have me buy into it.

Is the totally sensible and "living in the real world" explanation of what happens in management.

The notion that Pardew, or anyone else for that matter, could survive in management while being openly at odds with his employer is just ridiculous.

TBF to Pardew, in some of his veiled comments referring to transfers etc he seems to criticise his employer more than most.

Ben Arfa barely played before Christmas that season and when he did he featured in the middle while you had Obertan flattering to deceive on the right. It was only when Ben Arfa bailed Pardew out a couple of times that he was given a decent run in the team on the wing. It was total overkill, there were games such as Norwich away when he didn't even feature when we were crying out for him. Nobody can tell me he shouldn't have had far more minutes that season and have me buy into it.

:thup: spot on imo. Even if his caution was warranted he took it to the extreme and we were worse off for it.

Is the totally sensible and "living in the real world" explanation of what happens in management.

The notion that Pardew, or anyone else for that matter, could survive in management while being openly at odds with his employer is just ridiculous.

TBF to Pardew, in some of his veiled comments referring to transfers etc he seems to criticise his employer more than most.

Think he would get more respect if he shut up about transfers.  We all know he has no major influence.  So just let JFK take the blame.

Personally I think we finished 5th due to his cautious playing style picking up an inordinate amount of points before Taylor's injury (and other teams sussed us a bit) and our individual players doing enough to win games that we weren't exactly dazzling in, that showed in our goal difference too. We saw the same last season only our defence was rocked from the start through injury and it was really just Ba who turned up for half of the year.

So from that you could say it is still plausible to have another good season? If defence is tighter, confidence is  built, injures remain fair and Cisse bags his fair share of goals, it is possible that we could have another good season ahead with the quality of players we have and Pardew managing them?

Guest Phil K

Been mystified by the upbeat view some have of Pardew. Last season, particularly the atrocious end of season, might never have happened.

Whats Pardew done since to convince people he's the man for the job, let alone actually GOOD at it - not getting at anyone, just interested.

I'd LOVE to be proved wrong. LOVE IT as a certain ex manager is famous for saying.

What kind of salary is Pardew on? (300,000-500,000). What does the average Premiership Manager get paid ? (2M). What do the top ones get paid ? (3M-6M). Are there accurate figures out there or is it all guesswork? I presume Keegan was well paid when Ashley brought him back, but since then, I suspect we are pretty much the lowest paying club in the League.

I found this on the Internet, doesn't mean that it's true but if it is reasonably accurate, we have probably got the Manager we deserve on the wages we pay. As the old adage goes, you pay peanuts you get monkeys.

Arsene Wenger Arsenal £6 million

Paul Lambert Aston Villa £2 million

David Moyes Everton £4 million

Martin Jol Fulham £1.5 million

Roberto Mancini Manchester City £7.5 million

Alex Ferguson Manchester United £4 million

Alan Pardew Newcastle £500k

Harry Redknapp Queens Park Rangers £3 million

Martin O’Neill Sunderland £3 million

Andres Villas-Boas Tottenham £4 million

Sam Allardyce West Ham £2 million

Roy Hodgson Engand £3 million

Giovanni Trapattoni Republic Of Ireland £1.5 million

I found this on the Internet, doesn't mean that it's true but if it is reasonably accurate, we have probably got the Manager we deserve on the wages we pay. As the old adage goes, you pay peanuts you get monkeys.

Arsene Wenger Arsenal £6 million

Paul Lambert Aston Villa £2 million

David Moyes Everton £4 million

Martin Jol Fulham £1.5 million

Roberto Mancini Manchester City £7.5 million

Alex Ferguson Manchester United £4 million

Alan Pardew Newcastle £500k

Harry Redknapp Queens Park Rangers £3 million

Martin O’Neill Sunderland £3 million

Andres Villas-Boas Tottenham £4 million

Sam Allardyce West Ham £2 million

Roy Hodgson Engand £3 million

Giovanni Trapattoni Republic Of Ireland £1.5 million

Before or after his new sexy 8 year contract?