Alan Pardew

Mike

We got players behind the ball and competed well, it's hardly tactical genius.

It is for Pardew. Actually tbf to the manager, we passed the ball out of defence quite a lot better than we usually do, especially considering Liverpool pressed us quite well on the ball. If we can get that sort of performance more consistently then I think the complaints will stop and Pardew will have earned some credit. You can't always get the result you want every week but you should expect us to be able to do the basics week in week out.

If Villa get a point today we'll be in exactly the same position as we were last season after the same number of games.  Hopefully we can carry on picking up points and avoid dropping away from where we are.

Guest bimpy474

If Villa get a point today we'll be in exactly the same position as we were last season after the same number of games.  Hopefully we can carry on picking up points and avoid dropping away from where we are.

Oh god, I sense a pie chart of some sort to come out and disprove this post as not true :lol:

You can't always get the result you want every week but you should expect us to be able to do the basics week in week out.

my major criticism of pardew last season was that he showed nothing, nothing whatsoever to suggest that he could change events on the pitch during heavy fixtures, injuries and so on...he just crumbled into a mess of crying about signing new players rather than coming up with solutions to stop the decline

he's made some changes this year that certainly look like he's reverted more to his 5th season performance (note HIS) than his relegation flirtation - i expected him to retreat into his shell with the everton result but that hasn't happened...imo his negativity was a major part of last seasons issues, if not the major part, so far he seemed to not be weighted by the fear he was last year and in some respects i agree that we look better at the basics

all of that said, villa, cardiff & fulham were gift-wrapped wins like - all 3 of them approached the games in ways that suited us to a tee...pardew deserves more credit for yesterday 'cause liverpool are a far stronger outfit than the other three and of course i expected pardew to be haunted by the 0-6, shit himself, and get it all wrong

didn't happen, credit where it's due

We got players behind the ball and competed well, it's hardly tactical genius.

Well no one has claimed that (beside Brett's flights of fancy) but we were light years off last season. He's still go to show a hell of lot more that that too but it was encouraging and I hope it''s not a false dawn.

Wish you would start backing your little digs up. I've always maintained i'm not letting Pardew get in the way of the fact how much i love our players. I have forgiven them for last season as i don't think they showed themselves in best light and didn’t show what they are truly capable of. I believe this season they will surprise many and they've already started showing signs of that and not just yesterday. Pardew has the players at his disposal, he's often made bad decisions and costly errors, he was part of the problem last season but not the only problem. He's still capable of making us tick and i'm happy to support him with confidence that he will succeed without thinking he's anything special. Not hard to grasp. I find it promising we look like a side who is developing a new style of play into a consistent formation and not chopping and changing when things have turned sour. We’ve stuck by the 4-3-3 and tried various players in different roles to see what fits, it’s slowly all coming together. We’ve always known we’ve had the talent amongst our squad but this season they’ve shown they also have the desire, passion and courage to succeed here, which was a big question mark of their heads last season. The players along with the manager failed us all last season, I don’t expect them to do the same this time around.

Oh god, I sense a pie chart of some sort to come out and disprove this post as not true :lol:

won one more

lost one more

scored 2 more

conceded 2 more

one more point

1 place better off.

won one more

lost one more

scored 2 more

conceded 2 more

one more point

1 place better off.

It's testament to Pardew that we've managed such a massive improvement with only Remy, Sissoko, Gouffran, Debuchy etc and the lack of that goddamned Europa League assisting him.

won one more

lost one more

scored 2 more

conceded 2 more

one more point

1 place better off.

It's testament to Pardew that we've managed such a massive improvement with only Remy, Sissoko, Gouffran, Debuchy etc and the lack of that goddamned Europa League assisting him.

:thup:

If we beat the mackems I might have to re-asses my opinion of the bloke.  There were other factors but the biggest contributing factor to our poor season last time around was him being a massive fanny. This season he has shown that a little but has also shown like he might actually have a spine, the derby is exactly the sort of game last season's Pardew would have shit his pants about and tried desperately just not to lose, if we go for it and win he might start winning me around again  :undecided:

won one more

lost one more

scored 2 more

conceded 2 more

one more point

1 place better off.

... and the loss of Ba.

I've said before that the first 10 games last season were about the standard I would expect from us, despite others insisting the entire season was a disgrace. We've repeated it again early on this year. Question is if we can keep it up through to Christmas and beyond.

If we beat the mackems I might have to re-asses my opinion of the bloke.  There were other factors but the biggest contributing factor to our poor season last time around was him being a massive fanny. This season he has shown that a little but has also shown like he might actually have a spine, the derby is exactly the sort of game last season's Pardew would have shit his pants about and tried desperately just not to lose, if we go for it and win he might start winning me around again  :undecided:

Obviously, he's got a hell of a long road to go before he starts winning people round, but behaving like a competent manager (which he's done on the odd occasion this season) is a fair start.

That being said, what comes out of his mouth will probably prevent him ever being wholly popular among the support. Even if he had us up there with a shout of the Champions League places.

For the past three seasons (inc. this one) he's had a talented squad at his disposal. Based on the previous two campaigns, he/we slightly overperformed in one, and seriously underperformed in the other. When I say 'slightly', the team that barely missed out on Champions League qualification belonged in that season's Top 6, imo. That changes now because the league, certainly the top half, is a lot stronger.

Anything below 10th this season would be poor.

... and the loss of Ba.

I've said before that the first 10 games last season were about the standard I would expect from us, despite others insisting the entire season was a disgrace. We've repeated it again early on this year. Question is if we can keep it up through to Christmas and beyond.

After the first 10 games of last season we were below West Ham, West Brom and Fulham.  Is that really the standard you would expect?  :jesuswept:

He'll not win me round, but he can make his time here a bit more tenable by not getting us relegated by putting out teams to player, to win and have a go. Whatever happens after that is down to the players.

Sooner he's gone the better, that simply won't change for me unless he delivers a cup.

We were doing okay points-wise by about ten games in last season, but the performances were awful and set the tone for the catastrophe that ensued. The terrible fitness was evident from the word go and never improved, meanwhile there were various shite performances where we barely won points; away to Everton, away to Reading, a drab home game against Villa, a miracle victory against West Brom - to name a few.

That November fiasco - where we lost four winnable games in a row - had been coming, and was one of the worst runs I'd ever witnessed. When we lost at the death against Stoke... man alive. Terrifying.

Aye that November run was awful, one of my mates bet another of my mates 20 quid that we would lose 4 in a row, if he had have put that on at the bookies he would have got a decent return.

Thought more of you than that Jon. We've started by getting 11 points from 8, failing to control games as per, and if we beat the worst team in the league next week you'll reassess your opinion?

Indeed. Any improvement this season is being measured by last season, which any half decent manager should be able to better.

We didn't lose 6-0 at home to Liverpool this year? Well done, Alan.

If we maintain this form throughout the season we'll finish top half tbf. Not anything to write home about, but to say an improvement hasn't been seen is just factually incorrect bollocks.

Don't understand the 'he'll never win me round' attitude either tbh. Surely as a Newcastle fan you can only hope that he gets the team playing well consistently and wins you round?