Alan Pardew

Mike

Although I am a supporter of Pardew I do doubt him frequently, but then I look at our results, our league position,  the excuses (some valid,  some not so valid), the boardroom, and I think of Kylie and what she once said.

Jasons a twat?

Pardew lucky :lol:

He was lucky to be appointed for this job but that's about it. He wasn't lucky to finish 5th, he wasn’t unlucky to finish 16th and we certainly aren't currently lucky to be in 8th place. It’s been a promising start to the season performance and result wise, just hope we can continue to build on it and keep improving as the season progresses.

He was lucky to be appointed for this job but that's about it. He wasn't lucky to finish 5th, he wasn’t unlucky to finish 16th and we certainly aren't currently lucky to be in 8th place. It’s been a promising start to the season performance and result wise, just hope we can continue to build on it and keep improving as the season progresses.

bullshit

bullshit

So if we finish with another high points tally this season, is it just another lucky season for him? Not quite sure where the luck theory ends and actual praise arrives.

Still early days but if we keep players fit like we did that season we aren't showing signs to why we can't have another good go at it. I believe top 6 is out of the question this year unless Spurs/Man Utd really do go into free fall which i personally can't see happening but no reason to think we'll be below where we are now come the end of the season.

reasons are already well stated and established for the 5th season brett, i would never say that finish was 100% as that's nonsense but there was a massive element of luck involved in a lot of the season, not only only in our own games but the circumstances that caused chelsea to lose focus in the league, for example

as for this season if he can get the team to perform for more than 45 minutes consistently, perhaps fully dominate the odd game here and there people (like me) would shut up, however if we finish well yet continue to hang on in games and rely on the other teams profligacy too often then he'll be called out for being a lucky cunt again

pardew is the managerial embodiment of the old football saying that the scoreline doesn't always reflect the game...in fact this board seems split between those who understand this, and those who don't

Although I am a supporter of Pardew I do doubt him frequently, but then I look at our results, our league position,  the excuses (some valid,  some not so valid), the boardroom, and I think of Kylie and what she once said.

I doubt him a lot as well, always have. I don't think anyone is saying he's Wenger. But at the same time, I do think we've talked ourselves into this over-exaggerated view of how terrible he is, and because of that people are extremely wary of admitting anything he does right.

as for this season if he can get the team to perform for more than 45 minutes consistently, perhaps fully dominate the odd game here and there people (like me) would shut up, however if we finish well yet continue to hang on in games and rely on the other teams profligacy too often then he'll be called out for being a lucky c*** again

Not convinced by your arguement. You're just saying his tactics are lucky because he doesn't play the way you way you would want us to play.

If he likes to take leads and sit back and counter second half, that's his decision to make.

If he likes to sit back from the start and grow into the game or counter attack when away from home, once again that's his decision.

That's how he prefers to approach games, it can hardly be classed as a lucky style of play.

people are extremely wary of admitting anything he does right.

perhaps they're always more irritated by what he does wrong consistently and repeatedly ian?

example: we're playing better football this season with our team full of internationals, some have this in the plus column for pards, others won't credit him 'cause the only thing stopping us playing like this for the last 18 months was him (remember all the talk of the same players not being good enough in order to excuse him last year? :lol:)

example: we're playing good football at times and remy is scoring, yet 3 years later we can't maintain this for +45 minutes so whether you believe it's a tactical approach or that the players can't make it past 45 minutes only when playing for NUFC it still falls at the managers door

Spurs are an interesting counter-example to Pardew, especially compared to our 5th place finish... they do dominate games but they don't have enough moments of magic.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that if you dominate games and have loads of moments of magic then you probably get close to the title... the top 6 is for people who don't manage quite to combine the two. I mean, Man Utd won the title and they didn't really play that well. It's not like you need to be Barcelona to finish 5th in the Premier League.

Luck comes in the fixture list, injuries, refereeing decisions, deflections etc. Whatever Pardew can't control.

Our first 11 games in 11/12 were a real gift.  They gave us a momentum which Pardew capitalised on very well indeed.  It's that kind of momentum that MUST be capitalised on when the opportunity is presented...Mike Ashley took out a pin and popped that balloon with a baron summer of signings where the club made a statement that they had no interest in picking up the baton and running with it.

If that "lucky" season is your barometer though, then you HAVE to say he was unlucky last year.

It's important to praise him for capitalising when the chips fall our way as well as criticising him when he' unable to overcome adversity.  It might be tight margins, but he looks like he's capitalising again this season.

as for this season if he can get the team to perform for more than 45 minutes consistently, perhaps fully dominate the odd game here and there people (like me) would shut up, however if we finish well yet continue to hang on in games and rely on the other teams profligacy too often then he'll be called out for being a lucky c*** again

Not convinced by your arguement. You're just saying his tactics are lucky because he doesn't play the way you way you would want us to play.

If he likes to take leads and sit back and counter second half, that's his decision to make.

If he likes to sit back from the start and grow into the game or counter attack when away from home, once again that's his decision.

That's how he prefers to approach games, it can hardly be classed as a lucky style of play.

we've been over it, it's not lucky if we professionally close games out and prevent the other team from creating chances, it's luck if we allow them onto us, they create chances and don't take them like the spurs game

I doubt him a lot as well, always have. I don't think anyone is saying he's Wenger. But at the same time, I do think we've talked ourselves into this over-exaggerated view of how terrible he is, and because of that people are extremely wary of admitting anything he does right.

Why bring up Wenger as a comparison? You're loading the arguement, deliberately. No one's calling him a Barry Fry or Mike Basset either. The observation is he's not particularly tactically astute and he can have problems motivating the players. With numerous examples to illustrate.

He also blots his copy book by dedicating a victory to 'Mike'.

He's not awful, he's not even bad. He's certainly not great and he isn't even good. He's run of the mill. For some people that's enough and for some that isn't. There you go.

we've been over it, it's not lucky if we professionally close games out and prevent the other team from creating chances, it's luck if we allow them onto us, they create chances and don't take them like the spurs game

Norwich on Saturday? They created sweet fa really did they? Chelsea were restricted to minimal chances. Yes Spurs we did allow them some great chances and that was far too close comfort but it's not lucky the fact in one of the most important positions on the pitch, we've got it covered by a world class goalkeeper. Obviously you don't want him tested like that week in week out but Krul’s capable of getting you 7/8 points a season with performances of that stature. 

Whatever Pardew can't control.

i imagine this is the crux of where everyone differs with luck, yours is a very literal interpretation that doesn't take into account the ebb and flow of a football match imo

was bruce lucky to take a win from SJP?  he was 1-0 down and we were well on top but he made tactical changes to mitigate something he couldn't necessarily control 100% and walked away with the points

pardew couldn't respond on any level to AVB's changes and spurs onslaught at WHL, they created enough chances to bury us but took none

for me that will always be classed as lucky to a certain degree

Norwich on Saturday? They created sweet fa really did they? Chelsea were restricted to minimal chances. Yes Spurs we did allow them some great chances and that was far too close comfort but it's not lucky the fact in one of the most important positions on the pitch, we've got it covered by a world class goalkeeper. Obviously you don't want him tested like that week in week out but Krul’s capable of getting you 7/8 points a season with performances of that stature. 

didn't see it brett, just going off the radio and chelp on here that we basically followed our usual pattern in the 2nd half, conceded and it was nervy to the end - i know you reckon it wasn't but plenty reckon it was, which drug do you trust?

chelsea were very, very wasteful on the break first half as i've said before - they didn't create much in the end, but a team of their class would normally make more of the positions they found themselves in

Guest firetotheworks

I find it interesting that you chose 'lucky' for the 5th finish and 'unlucky' for the 16th.

Whatever Pardew can't control.

i imagine this is the crux of where everyone differs with luck, yours is a very literal interpretation that doesn't take into account the ebb and flow of a football match imo

bruce lucky to take a win from SJP?  he was 1-0 down and we were well on top but he made tactical changes to mitigate something he couldn't necessarily control 100% and walked away with the points

pardew couldn't respond on any level to AVB's changes and spurs onslaught at WHL, they created enough chances to bury us but took none

for me that will always be classed as lucky to a certain degree

Single examples are anecdotal, and lead to bias.

On the whole, if Spurs performances were happening week in and week out, he would be found out.

Performances are more often like Norwich where we nullify the threat and restrict them largely to speculative chances and Krul has little to do.  While we ourselves miss out on clear opportunities like Sissoko's in the first half and Cisse's offside later.

didn't see it brett, just going off the radio and chelp on here that we basically followed our usual pattern in the 2nd half, conceded and it was nervy to the end - i know you reckon it wasn't but plenty reckon it was, which drug do you trust?

chelsea were very, very wasteful on the break first half as i've said before - they didn't create much in the end, but a team of their class would normally make more of the positions they found themselves in

The Norwich match was nervy because we essentially stopped playing and they had the ball in and around the NUFC box for long periods in the last 30 minutes. Brett is right, though. They created very little. This was more to do with Norwich being a terrible football team, but it has to say we were lucky not to concede twice is very harsh given what the other team created.

I find it interesting that you chose 'lucky' for the 5th finish and 'unlucky' for the 16th.

In what sense, KI?

If i said lucky for the 16th that would kind of imply if it wasn't for his luck we would have got relegated  :lol: So I used unlucky as a counter argument as if we should have been much higher but Europe/Injuries/Confidence cost us.

The Norwich match was nervy because we essentially stopped playing and they had the ball in and around the NUFC box for long periods in the last 30 minutes. Brett is right, though. They created very little. This was more to do with Norwich being a terrible football team, but it has to say we were lucky not to concede twice is very harsh given what the other team created.

you'll note, of course, i've never made reference to us being lucky vs. norwich