Alan Pardew

Mike

I really think we're spending too much time trying to explain why our own goals and wins aren't really valid TBH. :lol:

who said they weren't valid ian?  i missed it, can you point me in the right direction mate...

These posts are really annoying, FWIW. I obviously don't mean literally.

yeah, you're annoying as fuck with this shit i know

again, as it escapes you, people are looking at the football and suggesting it's not a great way of setting up long-term, that's it's potentially doomed to fail while at the same time acknowledging pardew has done well getting it working after the mackems debacle and getting good results

i don't understand what you want, do you want people to literally come on here and simply post "well that was great wasn't it?  another 3 points, awesome" then come back after the next game?

Well I'm not by any means asking for sweeping Arsenal style goals. I'm realistic enough to know that a) it takes years and a certain kind of footballing philosophy at the club to produce that kind of football. And b) that the Ashley/Kinnear/Pardew combo is probably not the holy trinity to produce it.

What I'd like to see is more goals like Remy's against Spurs and Chelsea. Ben Arfa's away at Villa. Some of the tap ins Cisse scored on his debut season. These goals show that you've opened up the opposition defence and made it easier for the forward/midfielder to finish.

The goals you mention are interesting because they were against teams who had the onus on them to attack us.  Champions League contenders and/or home teams who we had space to run in behind.

Norwich, and WBA are not going to commit to attacking away from home at SJP like any of those other teams we scored prettier goals against.  The space for us to attack is much more limited.

True about the away games, not entirely true about the home games. When we went 2-0 against Norwich, they came at us second half. Instead of immediately changing our formation to counter attack them with pace, we took Remy off and sat back, when we could have exploited that. There was a slight improvement in attitude against West Brom, and although we conceded, we didn't let the panic set in.

No, we didn't.

We didn't?  :blush: Could've sworn we did :lol: Remember going ape shit about it at the time.

I really think we're spending too much time trying to explain why our own goals and wins aren't really valid TBH. :lol:

who said they weren't valid ian?  i missed it, can you point me in the right direction mate...

yeah, you're annoying as fuck with this shit i know

again, as it escapes you, people are looking at the football and suggesting it's not a great way of setting up long-term, that's it's potentially doomed to fail while at the same time acknowledging pardew has done well getting it working after the mackems debacle and getting good results

i don't understand what you want, do you want people to literally come on here and simply post "well that was great wasn't it?  another 3 points, awesome" then come back after the next game?

I can't think of a rational and non-abusive responsive for this, soz.

Guest icemanblue

Well I'm not by any means asking for sweeping Arsenal style goals. I'm realistic enough to know that a) it takes years and a certain kind of footballing philosophy at the club to produce that kind of football. And b) that the Ashley/Kinnear/Pardew combo is probably not the holy trinity to produce it.

What I'd like to see is more goals like Remy's against Spurs and Chelsea. Ben Arfa's away at Villa. Some of the tap ins Cisse scored on his debut season. These goals show that you've opened up the opposition defence and made it easier for the forward/midfielder to finish.

The goals you mention are interesting because they were against teams who had the onus on them to attack us.  Champions League contenders and/or home teams who we had space to run in behind.

Norwich, and WBA are not going to commit to attacking away from home at SJP like any of those other teams we scored prettier goals against.  The space for us to attack is much more limited.

True about the away games, not entirely true about the home games. When we went 2-0 against Norwich, they came at us second half. Instead of immediately changing our formation to counter attack them with pace, we took Remy off and sat back, when we could have exploited that. There was a slight improvement in attitude against West Brom, and although we conceded, we didn't let the panic set in.

No, we didn't.

We didn't?  :blush: Could've sworn we did :lol: Remember going ape shit about it at the time.

You probably were. But, it definitely didn't happen. Remy played the full 90. Subs were Anita for Cabaye, Cisse for Shola and Hatem for Gouffran.

No, we didn't.

You probably were. But, it definitely didn't happen. Remy played the full 90. Subs were Anita for Cabaye, Cisse for Shola and Hatem for Gouffran.

Remy assumed he was coming off because he was fucked.  He walked from the centre circle right over to the dugouts....then realised it was Cabaye's number that had gone up and walked back where he'd come from.

:laugh:

No, we didn't.

We didn't?  :blush: Could've sworn we did :lol: Remember going ape s*** about it at the time.

:lol:

Guest neesy111

No, we didn't.

Remy assumed he was coming off because he was fucked.  He walked from the centre circle right over to the dugouts....then realised it was Cabaye's number that had gone up and walked back where he'd come from.

Even NUFC.com have made the mistake.

Team: Krul, Debuchy, Williamson, Coloccini, Santon, Tiote, Cabaye, Sissoko (Cisse 90+5), Gouffran, Sh.Ameobi, Remy (Anita 84).

Subs n/u: Elliot, Ben Arfa, Yanga-Mbiwa, Obertan, Sa.Ameobi.

No, we didn't.

Team: Krul, Debuchy, Williamson, Coloccini, Santon, Tiote, Cabaye, Sissoko (Cisse 90+5), Gouffran, Sh.Ameobi, Remy (Anita 84).

That's the WBA game.

He was talking about Norwich :)

Guest neesy111

No, we didn't.

That's the WBA game.

He was talking about Norwich :)

:okay:

FWIW I agree. I mean- come on.

IMO If you guys cant enjoy 4 wins in the bounce then you'll never be satisfied TBH. You cant dominate teams for 90 minutes and smash everyone for 4 and 5 goals.

FWIW, Pards probably has to be careful managing expectations now that he's proving the doubters wrong.

Let's just hope this continues and get behind the team and Pards.

:thup: :thup: :thup:

EDIT: BTW looks like Pards was right about Europe too - noticed a few teams have lost games after a European match this season.

:thup:

FWIW I agree. I mean- come on.

IMO If you guys cant enjoy 4 wins in the bounce then you'll never be satisfied TBH. You cant dominate teams for 90 minutes and smash everyone for 4 and 5 goals.

FWIW, Pards probably has to be careful managing expectations now that he's proving the doubters wrong.

Let's just hope this continues and get behind the team and Pards.

:thup: :thup: :thup:

EDIT: BTW looks like Pards was right about Europe too - noticed a few teams have lost games after a European match this season.

http://southparkstudios.mtvnimages.com/images/south_park/episode_thumbnails/s09e07_480.jpg

Pardew should be giving credit for sticking with Sissoko on the right not saying he fluked upon it. Majority on here weren't happy when he wasn't playing well out wide or when Pardew said in the summer Sissoko was capable of playing a role on the wing. We were up in arms about it, myself included. He stuck by him though and now his performances are starting to shine through once he's grasped the role. That's not a fluke.

Pards, Pards, Pards ...

The last year or so he tried to be cute with it, because of the types of players we have, but he just can't do it. It's not just about putting the players in a 4-3-3 and asking them to pass it, but truly believing in that type of play, and knowing how to encourage it every day in training. It's just not him.

Ultimately he reached his 'fuck this' moment, and unapologetically went with what he knows how to coach and prepare for best, and decided to best fit the players he had into this way of play. He prioritized hard work on the wings and a target upfront.

He got the players to buy into it, with both Gouffran and Sissoko in particular, accepting roles that you wouldn't really say they were known for, and then re-introducing Shola, and getting him to provide something resembling football, which the pacy and dangerous Remy can play off of.

It has worked, and you know what, I can't really complain, or knock the guy, because those were some major calls that were all him.

The first time I saw Gouffran and Sissoko wide and Shola upfront, I thought he had actually had a mental break down, and completely lost his marbles, so fair play.

Yes it is unfortunate that the likes of Ben Arfa, Marv and Anita will seemingly struggle to contribute to the current side, because they are classy players, but this is what happens when the players bought do not fit with the managers ethos. That problem ultimately falls on MA and his cronies.

Happier to see Pardew do what he knows best, and figure out how to use the players we have in this system. Previously we were neither here nor there, and it sucked.

What lies ahead for Ben Arfa, Marv and Anita, well who knows, but ultimately if the man in charge is going to remain, we have to let him do what he does best, especially if it works as well as it has been.

Can't help feeling a bit cheated though ... as we should be allowed to enjoy the likes of Ben Arfa's talents.

Pards, Pards, Pards ...

The last year or so he tried to be cute with it, because of the types of players we have, but he just can't do it. It's not just about putting the players in a 4-3-3 and asking them to pass it, but truly believing in that type of play, and knowing how to encourage it every day in training. It's just not him.

Ultimately he reached his 'fuck this' moment, and unapologetically went with what he knows how to coach and prepare for best, and decided to best fit the players he had into this way of play. He prioritized hard work on the wings and a target upfront.

He got the players to buy into it, with both Gouffran and Sissoko in particular, accepting roles that you wouldn't really say they were known for, and then re-introducing Shola, and getting him to provide something resembling football, which the pacy and dangerous Remy can play off of.

It has worked, and you know what, I can't really complain, or knock the guy, because those were some major calls that were all him.

The first time I saw Gouffran and Sissoko wide and Shola upfront, I thought he had actually had a mental break down, and completely lost his marbles, so fair play.

Yes it is unfortunate that the likes of Ben Arfa, Marv and Anita will seemingly struggle to contribute to the current side, because they are classy players, but this is what happens when the players bought do not fit with the managers ethos. That problem ultimately falls on MA and his cronies.

Happier to see Pardew do what he knows best, and figure out how to use the players we have in this system. Previously we were neither here nor there, and it sucked.

What lies ahead for Ben Arfa, Marv and Anita, well who knows, but ultimately if the man in charge is going to remain, we have to let him do what he does best, especially if it works as well as it has been.

Can't help feeling a bit cheated though ... as we should be allowed to enjoy the likes of Ben Arfa's talents.

I had visions of Pardew being like Mike Basset in the film saying to the side tomorrow we'll be playing 4 4 fucking 2

In fairness to mrmojo, that kind are far, far, worse.

I do know what you mean but FWIW I wouldn't say that they are far, far worse. IMO, probably worse yes - but let's not get hyperbolic.

The answer is probably somewhere in the middle.

Appreciate your input BTW though I do think what you're saying is a bit irrelevant - but hey that's opinions!

Hasn't really 'gone back to basics' as a lot of the football we are playing is markedly different to what we've seen previously. Delivering four wins in a row in the premier league is probably a bit more complex than adopting whatever the basic style is anarl.

Was happy to give him a clean slate at the start of the season and we're heading into December ahead of Man U and Spurs, while playing some very decent football at times.

There are obviously some mild concerns regarding the likes of Ben Arfa's future and the balance of our play when we take a lead. So far though, canny. Very canny.

If what we saw against WBA was a blueprint of how Pardew wants it done then it seems to me that whilst the current formation has a 4-4-2 feel to it, it's a pretty fluid formation. The players seem to move around within that framework e.g both Gouffran and Sissoko did not stick rigidly to the flanks and Cabaye could be found collecting the ball off the back four as well as getting into more attacking positions. The full backs got forward frequently as well.

FWIW I think Pardew is an average manager and by that I mean that he is not as crap as some make him out to be nor is he anything approaching a genius. I also don't have the personal hatred of him that seems to exist in some circles  :lol:  I have to say I find it extremely harsh to suggest, for example, that it was luck that has led to playing Sissoko and Gouffran in the roles they occupied so effectively. You might as well say that Keegan's creation of the system that had Michael Owen playing tucked in behind Martins and Viduka was also down to luck - and it really wasn't imo. The main strength that I think Pardew has in his locker is that the players do seem to like and respect him, and that should not be underestimated.

Guest icemanblue

If what we saw against WBA was a blueprint of how Pardew wants it done then it seems to me that whilst the current formation has a 4-4-2 feel to it, it's a pretty fluid formation. The players seem to move around within that framework e.g both Gouffran and Sissoko did not stick rigidly to the flanks and Cabaye could be found collecting the ball off the back four as well as getting into more attacking positions. The full backs got forward frequently as well.

FWIW I think Pardew is an average manager and by that I mean that he is not as crap on here as some make him out to be nor is he anything approaching a genius. I also don't have the personal hatred of him that seems to exist in some circles  :lol:  I have to say I find it extremely harsh to suggest, for example, that it was luck that has led to playing Sissoko and Gouffran in the roles they occupied so effectively. You might as well say that Keegan's creation of the system that had Michael Owen playing tucked in behind Martins and Viduka was also down to luck - and it really wasn't imo. The main strength that I think Pardew has in his locker is that the players do seem to like and respect him, and that should not be underestimated.

This where I be at, yo.

I think it's lucky that Sissoko, a centre-mid all day, fitted into a wing role when all the other alternatives weren't good enough. Not that it's Pardew's fault that we didn't sign a right-winger in the summer.

we know he can't react well to changes during a game though don't we? 

the counter-attack thing is bang on the money too, it should be our plan b and worked on very hard in training, we're well set up for it

A counter-attacking game is undoubtedly missing from our armoury. We've got a strong, well-organised, and hard working side, but not a particularly pacey or skilful one.

The two players you might want to bring on late on to hit teams on the break both have their flaws. Obertan is quick but isn't great at keeping the ball and lacks heart. Ben Arfa is great at running with the ball into space but he's a bit of a liability defensively and if you're under pressure the nightmare scenario is him trying to do something clever near our own box and losing the ball.

I think it's lucky that Sissoko, a centre-mid all day, fitted into a wing role when all the other alternatives weren't good enough. Not that it's Pardew's fault that we didn't sign a right-winger in the summer.

Barton was a central mid and Owen an out and out striker. Keegan must have got lucky in getting them to play well at left midfield and attacking midfield in a 4-3-3 then.  :dontknow: