Alan Pardew

Mike

Aye, everyone would rather HBA was playing every week and ripping up the league. But he wasn't doing that, so he's come out of the team for a while. 

isn't this the crux?  the fact that he probably should be but is being 'prevented' from doing so by our shit manager, his terrible tactics and being left out of the team for gabriel obertan?

that's my view on the HBA thing, players don't perform in isolation to what's going on around them, especially not flair players like HBA

So, this mercurial talent, with a vast history of inconsistency, only ever plays badly because of his manager. How does he ever play well?

well i've already addressed this haven't i?  but you know that...his age, apparent focus, team ethic and of course the fact that there's a world cup coming suggest to me the lad had what it takes to succeed now where in his younger years he was maybe more of a little arsehole holding himself back

i'll refer you to the hull game again....he's crowded out by 2-3 everytime he gets the ball, that's where your manager has to come in and make changes to either open up the space for him or use his being crowded out to open up the game for the team

our manager did neither and rarely does

He was shite against Hull, but he wasn't the only one. He'd been unplayable in the games before it, under a similar amount of pressure from the opposition. People haven't suddenly realised that he's quite good this season. Players can have bad games, and experience poor form. As long as he comes back from that (in a period where we went on to record fantastic results), what's the problem?

liverpool he was deployed as some sort of fucking striker playing with his back to goal man :lol:  that's not a loss in form nor is having to face up to an entire hull defence and not being able to beat them

prior hull he'd ripped villa to shreds and was under nowhere near the same pressure he was vs hull and liverpool

you seem to take his performances in total isolation from the team and the tactical approach that the manager employs for some reason, that doesn't make sense

cue "i didn't say that, would never say that" type bollocks...you're saying it by implication in failing to link his "drop" in performance (right at the time he was in amazing form mind :lol:) with anything that the other team or his own manager might do

The people arguing he deserved to be benched after a few "poor" performances where he was used like a fucking towel used by an intergalactic hitchhiker (in every capacity imaginable) have very short memories where we've seen player after player retain his place playing absolute horse-shit under Pardew. Why is HBA held to a harsher scale in comparison to some of his craphead teammates?

I'll just point it out now to quote it in the future.

The exact people who now brush problems like HBA not being in the team  under the carpet , because we won the games in question, are the same people who brushed all of the problems in the 5th place  season under the carpet because we were winning games then for the most part

It's as if football is so simple to these people that if you win/ are winning everything is pretty much 100% right as rain.  :whistle:

So we've won two very good games with a hard working, plucky 4-4-2 preforming exactly the same way as we did in the season where we finished 5th. Just like then when the football was clearly not sustainable medium/long term,  it is not now.

Shola Ameobi and Obertan getting minutes over HBA? Come on.

If you can't see the problems with getting excited over these two wins after witnessing the last two seasons unfold, I feel for ya bro.

If you do see the problems and are just hoping these issues will be addressed then fair enough, but at this point it's just hope because despite AP winning two admittedly, very tough games - the same problems that have always been there are still there.

Ugh. Fucking sanctimonious drivel. 'Bro' in there, too. #legend

Nothing to do with his post tbh. Why don't you try to discuss the very valid points he makes?

Valid points? Of course there are problems, there are always problems (Pardew or not).

But if you cant enjoy these two wins after witnessing the last two seasons unfold, I feel for ya bro.

HBA doesn't have a divine right to start games in any case. Apart from his defensive shortcomings, he also makes wrong decisions from an attacking POV. But he's not played that badly either, for me he suffered as much due to the team showing nothing when we had possession as much as anything else. It's all about getting the balance right to make the best of a player like that, and Pardew is obviously more comfortable with players who can fit his more basic methods. Probably the best way to go for him, although it will only get us so far.

EDIT: yeah basically what mrmojorisin said.

Valid points? Of course there are problems, there are always problems (Pardew or not).

But if you cant enjoy these two wins after witnessing the last two seasons unfold, I feel for ya bro.

what makes you think anyone didn't enjoy it?  because we won do we have to pretend it was flawless?

what makes you think anyone didn't enjoy it?  because we won do we have to pretend it was flawless?

No. Nobody has suggested they were flawless as far as I'm aware.

I just struggle to see what benefit there is to dig into the minutia of even the good games to find evidence for arguments that have been done to death and have not evolved in the slightest.

Yeah, we know, Pardew may come unstuck again. But this is nothing new, nobody has forgotten last season.

All Spudil is doing is shouting from the rooftops "You fools! You may be having fun at the feast, but you'll all be fucked for food by February".

Aye, cracking that Spuddy. Thanks. :lol: :thup:

No one is a fucking 'Pardite', nor are they claiming he is the man to take us forward.

i don't think anyone is staunchly anti-pardew either, to the point of being stubborn about the man - spudil has made very valid points about the last 2 games tbh but they're just glossed over for some reason

we're analysing 2 good results and comparing that with our previous performances under pardew, some people are ignoring the validity of the concerns (as they did  when we were almost relegated) and choosing to shout it down as negativity

you improve at anything by looking at where it is you can improve, not by saying "that was mint eh" and putting your fucking feet up

:thup: :thup:

I'll just point it out now to quote it in the future.

The exact people who now brush problems like HBA not being in the team  under the carpet , because we won the games in question, are the same people who brushed all of the problems in the 5th place  season under the carpet because we were winning games then for the most part

It's as if football is so simple to these people that if you win/ are winning everything is pretty much 100% right as rain.  :whistle:

So we've won two very good games with a hard working, plucky 4-4-2 preforming exactly the same way as we did in the season where we finished 5th. Just like then when the football was clearly not sustainable medium/long term,  it is not now.

If you can't see the problems with getting excited over these two wins after witnessing the last two seasons unfold, I feel for ya bro.

If you do see the problems and are just hoping these issues will be addressed then fair enough, but at this point it's just hope because despite AP winning two admittedly, very tough games - the same problems that have always been there are still there.

Ugh. Fucking sanctimonious drivel. 'Bro' in there, too. #legend

:lol: Wew, what a prick.  Didn't even read the post properly, just went for his cool/funny/always right routine and away we go.

Guest Slippery Sam

I quite like the differing voices.

I hear voices. I also see the faces in the wallpaper.

Pardew's still shit, mind.

Especially when the logic doesn't make sense. Obertan was brought on over HBA to help protect the left side and it actually ended up weakening us.

In that instance, there was literally no excuse for not bringing on Ben Arfa.

Wasn't Obertan just brought on because he runs around a lot and threatens (sort of) on the break?

I love HBA more than anyone but I don't think it really matters that Obertan was brought on in this specific situation. You know that it doesn't mean Pardew thinks he's better than Ben Arfa.

There is no situation where Obertan would be the preferred option for me tbh.

Attacking, defending, tracking back, running down the channel, retaining posession of the ball, counter attacking - HBA is the better option every time, I even said it in the match thread. Get HBA on, give him the ball and he keeps a hold of it - we'd have been under a hell of a lot less pressure compared to flooding the midfield and leaving Cisse/Remy up there alone.

Please don't pay for Inochi to be removed from N-O.

The number of intelligent, witty posters on here seems to have dropped significantly in the last few years and the debate seldom rises above the banal. We need more bright sparks and opposing views, not less.

Please don't pay for Inochi to be removed from N-O.

The number of intelligent, witty posters on here seems to have dropped significantly in the last few years and the debate seldom rises above the banal. We need more bright sparks and opposing views, not less.

:lol: Intelligent and witty, areet.

Interesting comment in the .com match report for the Spurs game...

"That meant that a fit-again Fabricio Coloccini was benched in favour of retaining the central defensive partnership of Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa and Mike Williamson. Meanwhile the 4-4-2 lineup apparently favoured within the dressing room was retained Shola Ameobi continuing up top alongside Remy in preference to Papiss Cisse or Hatem Ben Arfa, who were among the subs."

Not sure what that's based on - but suggesting players as well as Pardew prefer 442. Just thought it was interesting based on the slagging I often give Pardew for always reverting to 442.

Guest firetotheworks

We all just do it to annoy you. It's all for you.

Mate, don't rise to it. Some of us can see that you're speaking out for those of us intelligent enough to see that there's an unrepresented middle ground. Pardew might not be the answer (let's be honest, he probably isn't!), but sometimes and especially on here it gets a bit messy, emotions run a bit high and facts are embellished, or hatred turns into fabricated "facts" ending with people criticising him ever so slightly more than he probably deserves to be.

Interesting comment in the .com match report for the Spurs game...

"That meant that a fit-again Fabricio Coloccini was benched in favour of retaining the central defensive partnership of Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa and Mike Williamson. Meanwhile the 4-4-2 lineup apparently favoured within the dressing room was retained Shola Ameobi continuing up top alongside Remy in preference to Papiss Cisse or Hatem Ben Arfa, who were among the subs."

Not sure what that's based on - but suggesting players as well as Pardew prefer 442. Just thought it was interesting based on the slagging I often give Pardew for always reverting to 442.

Its probably bollocks.

We all just do it to annoy you. It's all for you.

Mate, don't rise to it. Some of us can see that you're speaking out for those of us intelligent enough to see that there's an unrepresented middle ground. Pardew might not be the answer (let's be honest, he probably isn't!), but sometimes and especially on here it gets a bit messy, emotions run a bit high and facts are embellished, or hatred turns into fabricated "facts" ending with people criticising him ever so slightly more than he probably deserves to be.

I read it and looked twice to see who had posted it.