Alan Pardew

Mike

There isn't even an argument to be had here, look at our starting XI and their respective honours on the european and national stage and tell me there is any way they should have finished 5th from bottom on the premier league  :lol:

The panic comment was directed more at the poorer defenders who choose to start hoofing it as soon as we come under some pressure.

It's a combination of dozens of things no doubt.  I just don't think Pardew gets them in at nowts each and says "right lads, forget the first half, I want you to sit 20 yards deeper and I never want more than one man in the opposition half" and it's a daft criticism to be pointed at him.

Rank incapability, is one thing, but actually instructing the team to stop playing as well as they have been is a silly notion.

Why would he keep picking the same players if they were going against what he was telling them?  Why has he not had a go at the players at any time for not following his orders?  Why have players had a go at him for the way that we play instead of accepting responsibility for ignoring his positive instructions?

He’s the manager and it’s up to him to get his game plan across to the players he picks, are you saying they don’t listen to him?

This. Well put.

He knew Cabaye was never going to last 90 minutes so he did what any good manager would do and replaced Sylvain Mareaux with James Perch. We lost our control of the game, Le Fondra scored, he took Cabaye off for Bigirimana, they scored again. He completed his 20 minutes of madness by replacing Anita with Obertan.

We are now playing with a front 6 of Cisse, Shola, Obertan, Jonas, Bigirimana & Perch. I don't think I've ever hated the man more.

I sat in the Gallowgate just shaking my head in disbelief at that second half v Reading. He outdid himself that day, absolute moronic cowardly management.

I'm still convinced that he'll be given the start of next season, so my focus has shifted to what I think he will do differently. Can he turn it around? Where should we be looking to finish in the table to show this?

I'd say about 8th, and looking upwards rather than down. We're not as good as the better clubs but there's no reason why we shouldn't be looking to be the best of the rest, and certainly comfortably clear of worries.

I'm still convinced that he'll be given the start of next season, so my focus has shifted to what I think he will do differently. Can he turn it around? Where should we be looking to finish in the table to show this?

I'd say about 8th, and looking upwards rather than down. We're not as good as the better clubs but there's no reason why we shouldn't be looking to be the best of the rest, and certainly comfortably clear of worries.

I think we might score from a corner, I reckon we would finish around 10th and I don't think he will do much different other than lump the ball to a bigger centre forward.

He'll certainly be getting the start of next season. I'd imagine he'll have until Xmas to show an improvement. It's what defines an improvement I'm interested in.

For most fans it's probably safe to say, progress in terms of playing style would be recognised as an improvement especially if positive results coincide.

But for Ashley/Dekka, I think their view of an improvement would be purely down to finishing position/points on the board. I don't see a time when they would turn around and demand changes to a more scintillating form of football or a more attacking/front foot style of play.

In my mind, I can only see him walking if we're bottom 3 or 4 by Xmas and there's been no obvious improvment in terms of points in the bag.

By that definition, I think we should prepare ourselves for the long term, as anybody (and I include Pardew in that) could improve upon this seasons results. Reasons being a full summer break for the likes of Cabaye, a more settled Debuchy/MYM and Cisse playing through the middle from the off.

When you couple that with no Europa "distraction" and "more time to be prepare" then we're almost guaranteed to have a better first half of the season. It's be hard to be worse.

This is without mentioning the transfer situation and AP bringing in a couple of lumps to suit his style. It may not end up being pretty but it would make us more effective, increasing the chances of positive results.

Honest question (fearing backlash) -

Do managers learn, grow, adapt, etc? ie - Do we think Pardew has grown and will learn from this experience? We know he has failed at previous clubs, but was never given the time to right his wrongs. Is it possible that he learns and will be stronger from it? or is the consensus that it will be exactly the same as this season and we are doomed?

Do managers learn, grow, adapt, etc? ie - Do we think Pardew has grown and will learn from this experience? We know he has failed at previous clubs, but was never given the time to right his wrongs. Is it possible that he learns and will be stronger from it? or is the consensus that it will be exactly the same as this season and we are doomed?

He had over 38 games this season to realise something was a miss, and still continued in the same way. So in answer to your questions...I dont think so.

I think he is too arrogant and too far gone to adapt and change. I think to evolve you have to be willing to admit your wrong, try different things and be open to new ideas.

He just rattles off excuses and never points the finger at himself or his staff. He needs to use pre-season to implement a new style of play. He did switch from 4-4-2 admittedly, however he didn't change the tactics to suit the formation.

Good managers tend to learn from the jobs they had. If past experiences at his previous clubs had shown him to be lacking in certain areas, he should take his lessons with him in the next club, not repeat them.

Tbf to him he did switch his formation from a 442 to a 433. It's just that he's clueless on how to implement the system correctly.

Of course they do, but if they commit to the same mistakes game after game what more can they learn if they're as stubborn as he seems to be?

Part of me died during the Reading game. Remember sort of crying and laughing simultaneously, was shaking a lot too. Basically it was terrible and made me start seriously thinking about relegation.

And so did Ashley, hence him opening his wallet for the January transfers.

Pardew has not normally lasted long enough to know what happens after the decline. As normal I expect our lot to think they're cleverer than anyone else and stand by him, so we'll see.

I completely agree with Minhosa's assessment of what they'll be looking for next season however.

Part of me died during the Reading game. Remember sort of crying and laughing simultaneously, was shaking a lot too. Basically it was terrible and made me start seriously thinking about relegation.

And so did Ashley, hence him opening his wallet for the January transfers.

It was clearly Pardew crying out from the dugout, made the shittest changes possible to exaggerate his dying need for new blood, accumulating in an embarrassing defeat...in fairness it worked, Ashley got he cheque book out. Well played Pards.

His starting 11 against Liverpool on the other hand............

For me Sam Allerdyce is a guy that has one set style of play regardless of which players he has.  While he was where he stuck to his set ideas on how the game should be played ignoring tthe fact we had martins and own upfront, along with Viduka. 

Playing long balls up front to these two and asking them to try and win them. 

It was never going to work, he totall wasted the talents of these three

:whistle:

It's whether he's allowed to. Does he have free reign to alter coaching teams/recruit, hire/fire considering the financial implications?

It's whether he's allowed to. Does he have free reign to alter coaching teams/recruit, hire/fire considering the financial implications?

Good point, guess the question then is, as a team, will they learn and improve?

From a Mike/Dekka perspective, I would say that on the whole, they are making micro-improvements, and learning....

I live and hope that as a group, them come together, and learn/grow.

I have doubts about where his "strengths" actually lie.

- His man-management is open to question if you give any creedence to the rumours of dressing room unrest throughout the season.

- Tactically found to be way short of the mark on a number of occasions.

- That his input on player procurement appears to be dictated by Graham Carr`s scouting suggesting his input on identifying new talent is largely nominal?

- Theres nothing to suggest, in fact there is evidence to the contrary, that his coaching structure has the ability to improve the talent currently on the books.

My ambivalence towards him as a manager has been soured by some of the shocking performances he`s turned out this season.

He`s neither a young, up & comming manager, nor an experienced head. A firebrand that wears his heart on his sleeve & can lift a team, or a shrewd, stoical dependable tactition.

Sadly, I think he`s out of his depth to the point where he must arrive at work every day & wonder how long it will be before he`s rumbled.

...Oh, & he`s ours for another 7 years

It's started already :lol:

“We’re one of those clubs where we’re liable to lose one of our great players to a Champions League team through finance and sometimes the will of the player,” Pardew told the Gazette.

“You can’t keep a player who doesn’t want to stay.

“Having said that, it’s going to be very difficult for any club to get a player out of here unless it’s a serious or big bid.”