Alan Pardew

Mike

Just look at Pardew's substitutions. There have been so many mental ones it's hard to keep count. Bringing Shola on and shunting Cisse onto the wing when we're chasing a goal late in the game for example.

It comes back to what I feel is his fundamental problem as a manager - he doesn't know how to set a team up to attack AND defend like a normal competent football team. It always has to be one or the other with him and so if he has a result he's happy with at half time, for him that's a cue to batten down the hatches because it has to be attack mode or defend mode - and why would you attack if you're happy with the result?

Unfortunately his idea of defending isn't to keep the ball, because if you've got the ball and are moving around trying to create space to keep it, there's more chance of being caught out of position so defend mode becomes what we see regularly: sit very deep, stay where you're supposed to and kick it really far away.

Pardew is s****, he works on defence for 4 days and attack for 1.  Why does it have to be one or the other?  We never seem to look as if we work on playing as a team and that would make sense with what we've been told.

Hopefully he's picked his last team for us, I refuse to give up hope.  With a bit of luck he'll go into his meeting with Ashley and Llambias, blames everybody but himself and gets the bullet.

The evidence, mostly.

I'm not asking why people think that.  I'm asking what motivation there is for Pardew to do it.

It's also that opp manages do summat at half time and he doesn't know what happenned or how to respond...

Fully agree with that like.  Makes much more sense than Pardew doing a tactical 180.

Eh, I thought it was because the players shit themselves, is it definitely a combination of those 2 things and not anything Pardew's instructed?

The panic comment was directed more at the poorer defenders who choose to start hoofing it as soon as we come under some pressure.

It's a combination of dozens of things no doubt.  I just don't think Pardew gets them in at nowts each and says "right lads, forget the first half, I want you to sit 20 yards deeper and I never want more than one man in the opposition half" and it's a daft criticism to be pointed at him.

Rank incapability, is one thing, but actually instructing the team to stop playing as well as they have been is a silly notion.

Its not just the tactical uselessness, in addition to not getting us to gel as a unit over two years he clearly can't motivate the players. Tactics is half the battle, motivation is the other, yes there are plenty of other facets to management but Pardew seems incapable of doing the two most important.

That said I think off the pitch up until just before Christmas we seemed to be very united as a squad..off the pitch. Something went way off the rails this year to the point that there is a division in the squad and combined with everything else Pardews position should be untenable.

I can see some people saying he should have the next season and the third year is always the year to take off in any job. However he has shown next to nothing that indicates he can take us to where we want to be long term,  we can give him next year but I am convinced he won't last til Christmas. Why gamble when there are far superior management options available now that could truly take us forward.

The panic comment was directed more at the poorer defenders who choose to start hoofing it as soon as we come under some pressure.

It's a combination of dozens of things no doubt.  I just don't think Pardew gets them in at nowts each and says "right lads, forget the first half, I want you to sit 20 yards deeper and I never want more than one man in the opposition half" and it's a daft criticism to be pointed at him.

Rank incapability, is one thing, but actually instructing the team to stop playing as well as they have been is a silly notion.

Why would he keep picking the same players if they were going against what he was telling them?  Why has he not had a go at the players at any time for not following his orders?  Why have players had a go at him for the way that we play instead of accepting responsibility for ignoring his positive instructions?

He’s the manager and it’s up to him to get his game plan across to the players he picks, are you saying they don’t listen to him?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/newcastle-united/10069853/Newcastles-Alan-Pardew-hoping-for-one-more-chance-from-Mike-Ashley.html

Newcastle's Alan Pardew hoping for one more chance from Mike Ashley

Alan Pardew should discover whether he is to remain as Newcastle United manager in the next 48 hours when the club’s hierarchy examine a hugely disappointing season.

Pardew said on Friday he was “100 per cent convinced” he would hold on to his job, despite finishing fifth from bottom in the Premier League, but he will have to persuade owner Mike Ashley that there will be no repeat of such underachievement. Ashley has been far from impressed with the way the season has unfolded, particularly as he spent heavily in January to sign five players from France.

Telegraph Sport understands the billionaire has not given anyone any assurances about what he wants to do, although he is thought to be swaying towards giving Pardew another chance to prove himself. Ashley will also consider the fact that any pay-off would likely be enormous given that he handed Pardew an eight-year contract in September.

Newcastle United only avoided relegation with a win at Queens Park Rangers on the penultimate weekend of the season and have endured their second worst campaign since the Premier League was formed, having suffered 19 defeats. However, Ashley is also mindful of the fact Pardew did an excellent job last season to guide the team to a surprise fifth-place finish and has also taken some responsibility for the team’s decline as he only sanctioned one new signing, midfielder Vurnon Anita from Ajax, last summer.

Pardew has taken a battering on Tyneside, with fans complaining about his tactics, while tension in the dressing room also threatened to lead to a split in the squad following the 6-0 home humiliation by Liverpool last month. That was averted by a series of clear-the-air meetings between the players and coaching staff, as well as the return of captain Fabricio Coloccini from injury.

Pardew would like to sign three or four more experienced players in the summer to add to a young squad, including England international Andy Carroll, whose loan spell at West Ham from Liverpool ended at the weekend.

The evidence, mostly.

I'm not asking why people think that.  I'm asking what motivation there is for Pardew to do it.

It's also that opp manages do summat at half time and he doesn't know what happenned or how to respond...

Fully agree with that like.  Makes much more sense than Pardew doing a tactical 180.

Eh, I thought it was because the players shit themselves, is it definitely a combination of those 2 things and not anything Pardew's instructed?

It's not really as simple as "don't play as well" though really, it's more about forgetting the idea of vaguely enterprising/threatening football and holding on to what you have.

I saw it at West Ham, 60-70 minutes in and Ben Arfa/Gouffran were off for Shola/Gosling and we were holding on for a draw at the expense of any attacking intent.  We could have ended up losing after not looking in danger for the vast majority of the game.  My view is that that comes from the bench, and it's horribly inept management.

It comes back to what I feel is his fundamental problem as a manager - he doesn't know how to set a team up to attack AND defend like a normal competent football team. It always has to be one or the other with him and so if he has a result he's happy with at half time, for him that's a cue to batten down the hatches because it has to be attack mode or defend mode - and why would you attack if you're happy with the result?

Unfortunately his idea of defending isn't to keep the ball, because if you've got the ball and are moving around trying to create space to keep it, there's more chance of being caught out of position so defend mode becomes what we see regularly: sit very deep, stay where you're supposed to and kick it really far away.

Pardew is s****, he works on defence for 4 days and attack for 1.  Why does it have to be one or the other?  We never seem to look as if we work on playing as a team and that would make sense with what we've been told.

Hopefully he's picked his last team for us, I refuse to give up hope.  With a bit of luck he'll go into his meeting with Ashley and Llambias, blames everybody but himself and gets the bullet.

Exactly, there's no transition from defence into attack, like Wullie said, it's one or the other. But he drills the positional ridgidity into them and its hard to turn that into attack when we've got that lack of movement off the ball that we've all seen. We get the ball, we're pressed, there's no outlet so it's a long punt forward.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/newcastle-united/10069853/Newcastles-Alan-Pardew-hoping-for-one-more-chance-from-Mike-Ashley.html

Alan Pardew should discover whether he is to remain as Newcastle United manager in the next 48 hours when the club’s hierarchy examine a hugely disappointing season.

Pardew said on Friday he was “100 per cent convinced” he would hold on to his job, despite finishing fifth from bottom in the Premier League, but he will have to persuade owner Mike Ashley that there will be no repeat of such underachievement. Ashley has been far from impressed with the way the season has unfolded, particularly as he spent heavily in January to sign five players from France.

Telegraph Sport understands the billionaire has not given anyone any assurances about what he wants to do, although he is thought to be swaying towards giving Pardew another chance to prove himself. Ashley will also consider the fact that any pay-off would likely be enormous given that he handed Pardew an eight-year contract in September.

Newcastle United only avoided relegation with a win at Queens Park Rangers on the penultimate weekend of the season and have endured their second worst campaign since the Premier League was formed, having suffered 19 defeats. However, Ashley is also mindful of the fact Pardew did an excellent job last season to guide the team to a surprise fifth-place finish and has also taken some responsibility for the team’s decline as he only sanctioned one new signing, midfielder Vurnon Anita from Ajax, last summer.

Pardew has taken a battering on Tyneside, with fans complaining about his tactics, while tension in the dressing room also threatened to lead to a split in the squad following the 6-0 home humiliation by Liverpool last month. That was averted by a series of clear-the-air meetings between the players and coaching staff, as well as the return of captain Fabricio Coloccini from injury.

Pardew would like to sign three or four more experienced players in the summer to add to a young squad, including England international Andy Carroll, whose loan spell at West Ham from Liverpool ended at the weekend.

A faint glimmer of hope :thup:

This is one time I'm hoping for some unpredictability from fat Mike. Shift him early and give the new man the whole summer to sort things out. As I've said earlier in the thread it might happen...I don't think their relationship is as cosy as we've been led to believe...Mike watches the money and good managers make more money.

I really don't know why it's so difficult to grasp a situation where the manager tells a team to hold onto what it has. It's fairly common like, it's not just us who do it. Stoke did it at the SOS a few weeks ago.

Can't believe I'm even having to point that out tbh. :lol:

I don't think we have been nearly visibly or vocally loud enough to rock Mikes decision. Not that he always listens but the press are under the impression there is only a small section of fans upset. Granted there is by now a certain percentage of fans that have been trodden down hard enough on they just don't air their opinions about management.

I really don't know why it's so difficult to grasp a situation where the manager tells a team to hold onto what it has. It's fairly common like, it's not just us who do it. Stoke did it at the SOS a few weeks ago.

Can't believe I'm even having to point that out tbh. :lol:

A team might go somewhere and play for a draw from the off. Or they might change tactics later on with a lead in their pocket....or having pulled back to be drawing somewhere tough. Managers don't set a team up one way for 45 minutes then change tactics altogether at half time irrespective of how successful the tactics were first half. Certainly not with the regularity being suggested.

He knew Cabaye was never going to last 90 minutes so he did what any good manager would do and replaced Sylvain Mareaux with James Perch. We lost our control of the game, Le Fondra scored, he took Cabaye off for Bigirimana, they scored again. He completed his 20 minutes of madness by replacing Anita with Obertan.

We are now playing with a front 6 of Cisse, Shola, Obertan, Jonas, Bigirimana & Perch. I don't think I've ever hated the man more.

I thought Hughton's subs in the 1-2 home defeat to Stoke were the worst I'd seen from an NUFC manager in many a year, yet the Reading debacle completely blew that occasion out of the water.

Part of me died during the Reading game. Remember sort of crying and laughing simultaneously, was shaking a lot too. Basically it was terrible and made me start seriously thinking about relegation.

I was actually positive about Pardew before that game we had a lot of injuries up till that point without having the depth to deal with it and i accepted that.

That Reading game was really the final straw though and ever since then i have wanted a change.

Yeah, I remember saying that if we didn't beat Reading I'd accept that Pardew would have to go in the summer. Then we got the most incompetent 90 minutes I've ever witnessed from an NUFC manager.

Yeah, I remember saying that if we didn't beat Reading I'd accept that Pardew would have to go in the summer. Then we got the most incompetent 90 minutes I've ever witnessed from an NUFC manager.

There wasn't too much wrong with the first 45, it was the second 45 where everything went completely and utterly to pot in the most amazing way possible.