Alan Pardew

Mike

Guest neesy111

If Pardew can't contain the words from spilling out of his mouth, I'd like him to talk about what we've been working on in training and what improvements we can expect to see going forward, after he's had a summer to gather his thoughts.

Although he thought we competed well on Monday, so maybe there's a reason he rarely talks about the football itself and is more comfortable talking around it.

“I thought Cheick Tiote looked more like his old self."

:lol:

Comments from post-Maritimo in November last year:

“Cheik Tiote looked like his old self, and I thought Vurnon Anita did well too."

Needs Philosoraptor.

Was that the game we were lucky to draw 1-1 at home?

Guest icemanblue

It's that i expect him to say we're not a good team, it's just that i don't agree with him. We're not a good team. Teamwork is apparent by it's absence.

Course, nobody is saying that what he's arguing is factually correct. It's just what he has to say.

Tbh, i had to put that in there or you or inochi would have straight in there asking me what else he was going to say with loads of question marks and maybe a facepalm or two. You've put me on the defensive :lol:

I'd just like to make it clear that I don't believe I've ever made a post with multiple question marks, or multiple facepalm images. Thankfully, most people seem to have abonded the old facepalm, except for neesy.

I don't think it defending him he is right, he ca't say anything else really so be best if he said nothing until it was positive news.

He can though. He can say "we are in need of players". He's f***ed if he doesn't get any players in to cover his inadequacy. He can play it a lot of different ways, perhaps be more bullish and less scared to upset Ashley. He's hardly going to sack him for it, he's survived last season.

Something like this, you mean?

"A big player coming in boosts the group as well as the fans," Pardew said.

"I'm not going to say something that I don't think is true and say, 'oh, it's not affecting them'.

"I think they'd like to see another striker come in the door.

"That's something that hopefully will be done before the window shuts.''

If hardly class the word "hopefully" as congruent with a bullish stance on transfers. It's the same as the summer in terms of tone and content of his quotes. He needs players, simple as that. If he's content to "go with what we've got" he's going to experience great difficulty this season.

Why is he saying he, and the players, want new players if he's happy to go with what he's got? The quote, that you posted, was:

“If it doesn’t happen (new signings), like everything in life we are going to have to get on with it, with what we have got".

Does that really read as if he's happy to go with what he's got?

On face value no, but it's not like we haven't been here before. These sort or quotes were prevalent last summer and preceded our lack of spending on transfers. He doesn't need to say anything, he should be banging the drum for new signings, stressing that it's  absolutely imperative. The press is really his only outlet to do this.

It just smacks of him preparing for the backlash to me.

So he should do it in the press, causing more disruption and unrest, rather than face to face with the owner? Which, I imagine, he was doing earlier in the week.

Vivid imagination.

Thanks. But, really, what do you think was discussed in the meeting? Not reckon transfers might have been on the agenda?

Yeah, I'm sure they were discussed. How much pressure do you think he's putting on Ashley in private? I imagine next to none.

It's that i expect him to say we're not a good team, it's just that i don't agree with him. We're not a good team. Teamwork is apparent by it's absence.

Course, nobody is saying that what he's arguing is factually correct. It's just what he has to say.

Tbh, i had to put that in there or you or inochi would have straight in there asking me what else he was going to say with loads of question marks and maybe a facepalm or two. You've put me on the defensive :lol:

I'd just like to make it clear that I don't believe I've ever made a post with multiple question marks, or multiple facepalm images.

Shit aye, me neither. How dare you Lotus, how dare you.

Can people not just look forward to West Ham and get behind them for a result, it's 2 days away yet we are still looking back at Monday ripping our side to shreds, negative 4 GD, bottom of the league, forget it, its over and done with, move on to the next game to see how we bounce back against more appropriate opposition levels.

:lol: f***ing hell man.

Saying judge us against West Ham Saturday evening, not Man City away? What's the f***ing hell man for? I would say that's a sensible thing to do? No? just me?

And ignore the last year?

And ignore the year before? Yeah lets go back through this all again. All i'm saying before we start jumping to conclusions this season is a write off after one game, just have a bit of patience till Saturday and see if we get the 3 points or not?

I'm not ignoring the year before. The 2011/12 season is a far less reliable sample period upon which to judge where are now than last season though. Especially since we have the same personnel as last season - not the same personnel as 2011/12. We also showed the same unwanted traits from last season in our first game (which have absolutely zilch to do with the oppositon) in our first game.

Far be it from me to take away your hope or tell children the tooth fairy doesn't exist.

Guest icemanblue

I'd just like to make it clear that I don't believe I've ever made a post with multiple question marks, or multiple facepalm images.

Shit aye, me neither. How dare you Lotus, how dare you.

It's just rude, Ian. This is where I draw the line.

Guest icemanblue

I don't think it defending him he is right, he ca't say anything else really so be best if he said nothing until it was positive news.

He can though. He can say "we are in need of players". He's f***ed if he doesn't get any players in to cover his inadequacy. He can play it a lot of different ways, perhaps be more bullish and less scared to upset Ashley. He's hardly going to sack him for it, he's survived last season.

"I'm not going to say something that I don't think is true and say, 'oh, it's not affecting them'.

If hardly class the word "hopefully" as congruent with a bullish stance on transfers. It's the same as the summer in terms of tone and content of his quotes. He needs players, simple as that. If he's content to "go with what we've got" he's going to experience great difficulty this season.

Why is he saying he, and the players, want new players if he's happy to go with what he's got? The quote, that you posted, was:

“If it doesn’t happen (new signings), like everything in life we are going to have to get on with it, with what we have got".

On face value no, but it's not like we haven't been here before. These sort or quotes were prevalent last summer and preceded our lack of spending on transfers. He doesn't need to say anything, he should be banging the drum for new signings, stressing that it's  absolutely imperative. The press is really his only outlet to do this.

So he should do it in the press, causing more disruption and unrest, rather than face to face with the owner? Which, I imagine, he was doing earlier in the week.

Vivid imagination.

Thanks. But, really, what do you think was discussed in the meeting? Not reckon transfers might have been on the agenda?

Yeah, I'm sure they were discussed. How much pressure do you think he's putting on Ashley in private? I imagine next to none.

I think he probably put his case across, like. That doesn't seem too far a stretch. May have even appeared somewhat desperate. Doubt he was the only one, either.

Vivid imagination.

I think he probably put his case across, like. That doesn't seem too far a stretch. May have even appeared somewhat desperate. Doubt he was the only one, either.

Let's be realistic. It means fuck all though, doesn't it?

Guest icemanblue

Vivid imagination.

Let's be realistic. It means fuck all though, doesn't it?

I guess we'll find out by September 2nd. I'm really hoping it does. :lol:

Can people not just look forward to West Ham and get behind them for a result, it's 2 days away yet we are still looking back at Monday ripping our side to shreds, negative 4 GD, bottom of the league, forget it, its over and done with, move on to the next game to see how we bounce back against more appropriate opposition levels.

Saying judge us against West Ham Saturday evening, not Man City away? What's the f***ing hell man for? I would say that's a sensible thing to do? No? just me?

And ignore the year before? Yeah lets go back through this all again. All i'm saying before we start jumping to conclusions this season is a write off after one game, just have a bit of patience till Saturday and see if we get the 3 points or not?

I'm not ignoring the year before. The 2011/12 season is a far less reliable sample period upon which to judge where are now than last season though. Especially since we have the same personnel as last season - not the same personnel as 2011/12. We also showed the same unwanted traits from last season in our first game (which have absolutely zilch to do with the oppositon) in our first game.

Far be it from me to take away your hope or tell children the tooth fairy doesn't exist.

If West Ham cut us open the way Silva did, i'll agree with you that we have a major problem, but i'm not prepared to slag our players off after a mauling by City which they could do to a fair few sides this season and they will. If the same signs occur at West Ham and they split our defence apart on a regular occasion and we don't seem to have any sort of attacking threat then i'll come back with negative comments about our management and players, until then i'm looking forward to West Ham, i'm excited for the season ahead and i really fancy to be celebrating 3 points in town on Saturday night.

The wording is catastrophic man. West Ham weren't near us a few years ago.

If West Ham cut us open the way Silva did, i'll agree with you that we have a major problem, but i'm not prepared to slag our players off after a mauling by City which they could do to a fair few sides this season and they will. If the same signs occur at West Ham and they split our defence apart on a regular occasion and we don't seem to have any sort of attacking threat then i'll come back with negative comments about our management and players, until then i'm looking forward to West Ham, i'm excited for the season ahead and i really fancy to be celebrating 3 points in town on Saturday night.

Similar feelings. I find it uncomfortable that we were shredded so easily by City, but it's an incredibly difficult opening fixture and they will murder many teams this season, no doubt a few by more than 4.

People on here have tipped us to finish below West Ham? I'm saying we will finish above them? We can't compete with City, but we can compete with West Ham, it's that simple. Why judge our season on one game away to City, tearing us apart straight away, shocking man, fucking one game in which we spent 45 minutes with 10 men against arguably the best side in the league.

The f***ing hell man is for you saying 'more appropriate opposition levels'. The bit I bolded. It speaks for itself, it's just more pathetic snivelling s****. Lie all you want about judging us on 1 game this weekend, we both know that won't be the case if we don't get a result.

I can well understand why you bolded the bit about 'more appropriate opposition levels'.

To be honest, the amount of apathy and cringing to both the clubs policies and Pardew is beginning to do my head in. As a fan for more than 50 years and who has taken an active part in changing the club by being part of the movement to oust McKeag in the late 80s, I am beginning to feel it just wasn't worth the time and effort many of us put in because it seems that many fans today are quite prepared - and happy with - being cannon fodder for at least a quarter of the PL as well as believing that we are permanently a second rate club and lack any more potential than clubs like Leeds and Sheffield United. If we had all believed that, we would never have had the SJH and KK years, never had the signing of Alan Shearer or the CL years under SBR, but if people want to support a club that takes their money and tells them to be grateful for being in the PL as well as deliberately fielding weakened sides in the FA Cup so they can be kicked out by the likes of Brighton 2 seasons' running, good luck to them...they'll need it.

I often wonder if some people ever look at the gate figures we had during the 70s, when we didn't win anything but had some great players and played some great football too - we always have been one of the best supported clubs in Britain and had SJH got his wish about Leazes Park, would have had the second largest ground after Man U...you can blame that idiot Prescott for that, but I reckon many on here won't want to admit THAT.

Small-time thinking leads to small-time status in football - I just wonder what those who are content with the status quo will say if and when the club is bought out, hopefully by someone with more ambition as well as more money.

People on here have tipped us to finish below West Ham? I'm saying we will finish above them? We can't compete with City, but we can compete with West Ham, it's that simple. Why judge our season on one game away to City, tearing us apart straight away, shocking man, fucking one game in which we spent 45 minutes with 10 men against arguably the best side in the league.

Who's judging our season on 1 game? We can compete with Man City on the pitch, with the right team selection and tactics. Calling them 'not appropriate' opposition is fucking embarrassing man.

Guest reefatoon

People on here have tipped us to finish below West Ham? I'm saying we will finish above them? We can't compete with City, but we can compete with West Ham, it's that simple. Why judge our season on one game away to City, tearing us apart straight away, shocking man, f***ing one game in which we spent 45 minutes with 10 men against arguably the best side in the league.

Christ on a bike Brett, it wasn't the defeat that is worrying/pissing people off, it was the manner of the defeat man, is that really hard to grasp?  We looked dead and buried as soon as the whistle blew, that is the reason for the concern.  I don't want to look through the fixture list going "ahh these are top 4, we are going to get stuffed here, nevermind, we play a team in 17th next week, hurray"  If you can't understand that, then you are suffering at least 4 of the 7 major retardations.

Brett, let’s rewind here: you asked why people couldn’t just move on to the next game and forget the Man City game. I’ve told you why people are dispirited (ie. what they’ve seen in the last year). So, beyond wanting Newcastle to do better against West Ham and beyond, do you have any reason based on demonstrable evidence to convince you (and us) that the team will do better? If not, why should everyone just move on and forget the Citeh game as though it were an irrelevance?

I’m all behind people wanting the best for West Ham, but to criticise people for venting legitimate grievances about the Man City game and what it represents about the team at present is not such a good move on your part in my view.

The f***ing hell man is for you saying 'more appropriate opposition levels'. The bit I bolded. It speaks for itself, it's just more pathetic snivelling s****. Lie all you want about judging us on 1 game this weekend, we both know that won't be the case if we don't get a result.

I can well understand why you bolded the bit about 'more appropriate opposition levels'.

To be honest, the amount of apathy and cringing to both the clubs policies and Pardew is beginning to do my head in. As a fan for more than 50 years and who has taken an active part in changing the club by being part of the movement to oust McKeag in the late 80s, I am beginning to feel it just wasn't worth the time and effort many of us put in because it seems that many fans today are quite prepared - and happy with - being cannon fodder for at least a quarter of the PL as well as believing that we are permanently a second rate club and lack any more potential than clubs like Leeds and Sheffield United. If we had all believed that, we would never have had the SJH and KK years, never had the signing of Alan Shearer or the CL years under SBR, but if people want to support a club that takes their money and tells them to be grateful for being in the PL as well as deliberately fielding weakened sides in the FA Cup so they can be kicked out by the likes of Brighton 2 seasons' running, good luck to them...they'll need it.

I often wonder if some people ever look at the gate figures we had during the 70s, when we didn't win anything but had some great players and played some great football too - we always have been one of the best supported clubs in Britain and had SJH got his wish about Leazes Park, would have had the second largest ground after Man U...you can blame that idiot Prescott for that, but I reckon many on here won't want to admit THAT.

Small-time thinking leads to small-time status in football - I just wonder what those who are content with the status quo will say if and when the club is bought out, hopefully by someone with more ambition as well as more money.

:thup:

I understand, and at the same time don't understand, this criticism of fans for 'accepting' our status.

Everyone knows we are a big club with bags of potential... but there are many of those around. And we bring in quite a lot of revenue, but we also have loads of debt and make mostly significant losses. Add to that, the top clubs in the PL have very significantly more money to spend, either because they are global brands with long records of success or because they have taken a shortcut by being owned by someone with infinite wealth.

For me it's not about expectations, it is what it is. We should aim to catch up with Man Utd, of course we should. But unless someone is going to spend hundreds of millions of their own money, it will take decades of steady progress.

Whether you think we're capable of that progress or not is a different debate, but I don't think 'accepting our status' or 'small-time' thinking are really that valid arguments.

This idea of a knee-jerk reaction to city as a one-off game needs to stop too.

We have signed one player (currently injured). The only other things that have changed since last season is no European football and a smaller squad to go with it (not to mention a shiny 'new' DOF to muddy the water).

It's possible things will be different sure and all bar the most idiotic of fans would be happy with progress should it occur. That being said in the here and now, there is not much to see as positive.

Re: Pardew's comments to the press - managers just talk all the time. I think a lot of what he says is disingenuous but at the end of the day who cares what he says, it what he does that matters.

Not sure where I stand on some of the rest of the post but that bit rings true. Far too many pragmatists letting acts of blatant disrespect and sheer folly go unanswered for. You can argue, modern football, what can we do? but christ, some of the shit this pack of vultures have gotten away with is disgusting. How the vast majority can be defended is beyond me.

This idea of a knee-jerk reaction to city as a one-off game needs to stop too.

It's bollocks, the reaction is a continuation of the rubbish we had to watch last season. Just as the reaction to the terrible team play last season was a continuation of the terrible team play we watched the season before (albeit with loads more magic and better results).