Alan Pardew

Mike

It just smacks of him preparing for the backlash to me.

Doesn't he have to be balanced though? What if we says something to the effect of "we're fucked without signings" and we don't manage to get any? And if he said the opposite, something like "we're happy to move forward with what we've got" the forum would be full of green sad faces about him overstating the quality of the team.

He could give no interviews at all, but would that be better? Would certainly be unusual for a PL manager in the middle of a transfer window.

Guest icemanblue

I don't think it defending him he is right, he ca't say anything else really so be best if he said nothing until it was positive news.

He can though. He can say "we are in need of players". He's f***ed if he doesn't get any players in to cover his inadequacy. He can play it a lot of different ways, perhaps be more bullish and less scared to upset Ashley. He's hardly going to sack him for it, he's survived last season.

Something like this, you mean?

"A big player coming in boosts the group as well as the fans," Pardew said.

"I'm not going to say something that I don't think is true and say, 'oh, it's not affecting them'.

"I think they'd like to see another striker come in the door.

"That's something that hopefully will be done before the window shuts.''

If hardly class the word "hopefully" as congruent with a bullish stance on transfers. It's the same as the summer in terms of tone and content of his quotes. He needs players, simple as that. If he's content to "go with what we've got" he's going to experience great difficulty this season.

Why is he saying he, and the players, want new players if he's happy to go with what he's got? The quote, that you posted, was:

“If it doesn’t happen (new signings), like everything in life we are going to have to get on with it, with what we have got".

Does that really read as if he's happy to go with what he's got?

On face value no, but it's not like we haven't been here before. These sort or quotes were prevalent last summer and preceded our lack of spending on transfers. He doesn't need to say anything, he should be banging the drum for new signings, stressing that it's  absolutely imperative. The press is really his only outlet to do this.

It just smacks of him preparing for the backlash to me.

So he should do it in the press, causing more disruption and unrest, rather than face to face with the owner? Which, I imagine, he was doing earlier in the week.

Think this needs a tag to Ian.

Seems fairly standard manager transfer quote soundbites to me like, as much as I don't want to get involved in this high-level discussion. Unless you think he should refuse to give interviews completely, he will always have to say something about transfers and the squad he has available.

:mike:

How the fuck the pair of you can be arsed is beyond me.

Just find it hard to take people being so willfully thick, that's all. It's not even about defending Pardew, it's just common sense.

Nothing he says matters now, because even if he comes out with something completely standard and/or sensible everyone is waiting to dissect it line-by-line with a load of weapons-grade bollocks.

Given that, yes it's pointless joining in with this thread. Guilty as charged on that one.

Pardew...inochi is a good poster, just blinded.

Blinded by what, man? :lol: Honestly, it's pointless responding to you, I know that. You'll never properly answer a direct question. Yet, here we are.

I was only pulling your leg like but since you ask...blinded by the guff coming out if the club.

I suppose this is why KK left, he wasnt prepared to be the clubs bullshitter to the fans.  Slimey bastard pardew is.  Happy bullshitting pards...its gonner catch up with soon enough.

Course he's not happy, don't see why kicking off in the press about lack of signings would please people on here. Wouldn't do anyone any good. He's right, all we can do is just get on with it and go as it is. That simple. I said after we signed Remy, i'd be happy if the window closed now and kept all of our players, now Cabaye is leaving, that does leave a big hole in our side, but that is out of Pardew's hands.

You'd be happy with the same manager and squad plus 1 that almost for relegated last season? You did see the City game right? How would that be in any way acceptable?

Not going back into the problems of last season. I wrote the city game off soon as the fixtures came out (my comment was also made straight after we signed Remy btw). West Ham/Fulham is where we truly will see how our side has overcame last seasons problems, that’s where the true test lies, not Man City away. Much rather people came on here and decided to rip certain personnel to shreds after seeing the performance against West Ham, then i'd be more inclined to judge how the season is looking to pan out.

Guest icemanblue

Pardew...inochi is a good poster, just blinded.

Blinded by what, man? :lol: Honestly, it's pointless responding to you, I know that. You'll never properly answer a direct question. Yet, here we are.

I was only pulling your leg like but since you ask...blinded by the guff coming out if the club.

I suppose this is why KK left, he wasnt prepared to be the clubs bullshitter to the fans.  Slimey bastard pardew is.  Happy bullshitting pards...its gonner catch up with soon enough.

I'm really, truly, honestly not. I just have a bit of common sense, and I'm capable of reading between the lines. That, and I don't fly into an incandescent rage before I've even finished reading one of his quotes, regardless of the content.

Seems fairly standard manager transfer quote soundbites to me like, as much as I don't want to get involved in this high-level discussion. Unless you think he should refuse to give interviews completely, he will always have to say something about transfers and the squad he has available.

Just find it hard to take people being so willfully thick, that's all. It's not even about defending Pardew, it's just common sense.

Nothing he says matters now, because even if he comes out with something completely standard and/or sensible everyone is waiting to dissect it line-by-line with a load of weapons-grade bollocks.

Given that, yes it's pointless joining in with this thread. Guilty as charged on that one.

Aye, this is pretty much what I was getting at.

Guest icemanblue

It's a laugh, though, isn't it? For a bit, anyway. Like reading the papers with your tea and crumpets.

It's a laugh, though, isn't it? For a bit, anyway. Like reading the papers with your tea and crumpets.

Aye, that's why I like to join in from time to time. Moved well beyond annoyance now.

Guest neesy111

I was at least hoping we would go into the game as a unit with a plan.

That was my biggest problem as well, we looked just as open as last season.  Did we finish with the worse defense in the league?

I'm not at that stage yet, sadly. I'll wait it out.

Can people not just look forward to West Ham and get behind them for a result, it's 2 days away yet we are still looking back at Monday ripping our side to shreds, negative 4 GD, bottom of the league, forget it, its over and done with, move on to the next game to see how we bounce back against more appropriate opposition levels.

:lol: "willfully thick". Ignoring that little jibe, it's all depends on perspective. To me it's defeatist and is planting the seeds for the repeat of summers debacle. If you don't think that, fair enough, but I don't think it displays a lack of intelligence to arrive at that conclusion based on the what has gone before

I just mean the general way in which people choose to draw whatever is the most negative possible conclusion from every quote. They must know that what he's saying is absolutely bog standard for a manager.

As to your conclusion, yes it's a matter of opinion. Personally I think he has to big up the players he has because he might have to rely on them. He has to get the balance right with admitting we need signings without undermining his current players or lowering morale too much. Again, bog standard for a manager.

I'm in agreesies with neesies; speak all the manager-cliche bingo-shite you like. To mention 'patience'; following ridiculous carry on like we had last season over 'thank god we haven't got the Europa League, I'd much sooner he say something like 'The next few days could be big for us.' He doesn't have to say anything else.

As it stands he comes across as an arrogant sack of shit and If it walks like a duck, acts like a duck and talks like a duck then I'm not going give anyone a hard time with anyone who says that he's an arrogant sack of shit duck. In fact I'd rather he not mention us as fans ever, because to have the gall to pretend that what Ashley and as his minions have our interests at heart in any way given the farcical and sickening carry on that has been since they took over, is an insult and staggering. Just get some fucking humility and if you can; focus on getting the team playing. 

:lol: "willfully thick". Ignoring that little jibe, it's all depends on perspective. To me it's defeatist and is planting the seeds for the repeat of summers debacle. If you don't think that, fair enough, but I don't think it displays a lack of intelligence to arrive at that conclusion based on the what has gone before

I just mean the general way in which people choose to draw whatever is the most negative possible conclusion from every quote. They must know that what he's saying is absolutely bog standard for a manager.

As to your conclusion, yes it's a matter of opinion. Personally I think he has to big up the players he has because he might have to rely on them. He has to get the balance right with admitting we need signings without undermining his current players or lowering morale too much. Again, bog standard for a manager.

I would contest that what is bog-standard for a manager at any other club is different to the situation at this one. Alistair Campbell would struggle to find a positive way of presenting the conduct of this club in recent years. Any one working under this regime; needs to tread pretty fucking carefully as far as I'm concerned. Liverpool fans have kicked off for much less and because their fans are respected (albeit too much on occasion) they are the better for it; certainly heading in a better direction than us.

If Pardew can't contain the words from spilling out of his mouth, I'd like him to talk about what we've been working on in training and what improvements we can expect to see going forward, after he's had a summer to gather his thoughts.

Although he thought we competed well on Monday, so maybe there's a reason he rarely talks about the football itself and is more comfortable talking around it.

People are worried

No shit. You not think we all are slightly worried? You can be slightly worried without throwing negative comments every time Pardew speaks, looking at every line word by word, for one sentence he might have slipped up on. Soon as that is found, the rest of his interview is irrelevant even if he’s right because he is wrong about that one sentence so he gets crucified. Every time without fail.

If Pardew can't contain the words from spilling out of his mouth, I'd like him to talk about what we've been working on in training and what improvements we can expect to see going forward, after he's had a summer to gather his thoughts. Although he thought we competed well on Monday, so maybe there's a reason he rarely talks about the football itself and is more comfortable talking around it.

Maybe yes, but remember that everything is in response to a question, and journalists print whatever they think the story is. In summer it's transfers.

Guest icemanblue

People are worried

No shit. You not think we all are slightly worried? You can be slightly worried without throwing negative comments every time Pardew speaks, looking at every line word by word, for one sentence he might have slipped up on. Soon as that is found, the rest of his interview is irrelevant even if he’s right because he is wrong about that one sentence so he gets crucified. Every time without fail.

:thup: