Alan Pardew

Mike

You have no idea whether or not he and Ashley could make a working relationship, non at all.

You've looked at a few numbers and just went "he quit his last 2 jobs after about a year, and he spent 30m at Swansea, so he could never work with Ashley, never."

Even if he did just stay a year with minimal spend there's a far better chance I'd enjoy that year more than I would under Pardew, which is something atleast. He does have form of making cup finals in these brief stints.

That's a pretty short term view. 

I'd prefer Pardew to continue learning at the moment than risk upheaval like we saw in 08/09.

I base my view of what sort of working relationship they might have on what I perceive to be the footballing outlook of the people Ashley brings in compared to the footballing outlook of the people he's shown himself incapable of getting on with.

Time and again he has shown that simple minded purveyors of no-nonsense football like Wise, Kinnear and Pardew are people that he gets on with.  Anyone with a more romantic view of the beautiful game or anyone that builds a rapport with fans such as Keegan, Hughton or Shearer get moved aside quite quickly.

How much 'learning' did Pardew do at WHU, Charlton and Southampton..?

Not enough, judging by those clubs' Chairmen's decision to get rid of him....the man is over 50 for heaven's sake....

If anyone is making way I'd rather drop Cabaye than Anita.

Pardew has egos to cater to though, unfortunately.

No he doesn't, his job is to put out the best team on the day, not polish the egos of players who were happy to jump ship a month ago.

If anyone is making way I'd rather drop Cabaye than Anita.

Pardew has egos to cater to though, unfortunately.

No he doesn't, his job is to put out the best team on the day, not polish the egos of players who were happy to jump ship a month ago.

I think he meant that HE has to cater to egos.. cause he's Pardew.. :)

This should be in here, even if it doesn't contain any graphs.

http://blog.paddypower.com/2013/09/27/neville-southall-newcastle-are-a-great-club-but-pardew-is-an-excuse-maker/?AFF_ID=16562

Neville Southall: Newcastle are a great club, but Pardew is an excuse-maker

Neville Southall was never afraid to speak his mind as a player and his column for the Paddy Power Blog is no different. This week he looks at Newcastle and Everton’s good start to the season

I always loved playing Newcastle. They’re the best fans I’ve ever seen in my life. They turn up whether the team is top of the league or bottom of the league.

It was always a game I looked forward to because their fans were brilliant. To make it at Newcastle, you need a bit of class and you need to graft because that’s what the Geordies appreciate. You need to work for their respect. The team have always played the right way. They’ve had some brilliant players and managers, Kevin Keegan, Alan Shearer, Bobby Robson – even if he couldn’t get your name right, he was brilliant – one of the best in the history of British football.

Now they’ve got a good squad, but I have doubts about the manager. Alan Pardew makes excuse after excuse when they lose. Even before they played Manchester City he was blaming Yohann Cabaye because he was supposedly on the verge of joining Arsenal. Obviously playing City away from home isn’t easy, but going into the game he seemed to have made his mind up that they were going to lose.

Southall picking up on the point many made here, that Pardew seemed to go into the Man City game expecting a defeat before the game had even kicked off. That was what was more annoying than the defeat itself.

In any case I'm quite intrigued by this talk that Di Matteo isn't keen on the Sunderland job because he's got his eyes on Pardew's job. Maybe he's looked at the fixtures and reckons Pards might be struggling in a few weeks time. Pardew really needs a result against Everton because there's some tough games coming up.

In any case I'm quite intrigued by this talk that Di Matteo isn't keen on the Sunderland job because he's got his eyes on Pardew's job. Maybe he's looked at the fixtures and reckons Pards might be struggling in a few weeks time. Pardew really needs a result against Everton because there's some tough games coming up.

They reckon he's talking to Galatasarry

What would Neville Southall know ? [/ Pards' sock cookers/]

I'm sure an excuse was once used that people hadn't played at a high enough level to judge him.  Maybe winning the European Cup qualifies Southall enough to comment, maybe not.

never really heard (or read) southall talk about football so wouldn't know if he's one of those who played at the highest level but seems to know fuck all (rodney marsh, phil thompson, peter shilton for example). interesting bloke when on about other things though.

Guest bimpy474

Isnt he the one that put down Owen when he celebrated nutmegging a 14 year old goalkeeper on his show. Should be enough for most to like him.

It is. "well done he's 13" is what Nev said i think.

He was a fair keeper in his day as well.

Southall was a brilliant keeper even when I watched him in his mid-late thirties.

Yep

wasnt he there when Everton were winning the league and looking better than Liverpool in the Mid 80s?- great side that was.

He was a fair keeper in his day as well.

Southall was a brilliant keeper even when I watched him in his mid-late thirties.

Yep

wasnt he there when Everton were winning the league and looking better than Liverpool in the Mid 80s?- great side that was.

Yep.