Alan Pardew

Mike

Fingers crossed it's his last game tomorrow. I'd take the loss to get rid of him. It's been an unbearable 12 months watching us.

Nah. I want him out but no way on God's Earth would I ever want a defeat to achieve it. Who's to say for instance even if we lose that he'll be shown the door?

Fingers crossed it's his last game tomorrow. I'd take the loss to get rid of him. It's been an unbearable 12 months watching us.

Nah. I want him out but no way on God's Earth would I ever want a defeat to achieve it. Who's to say for instance even if we lose that he'll be shown the door?

If it means there'll be some sort of change, I'm at that point now. Hasn't happend since Souness. But for the good of the club, IF it means he'll go, I'd take it.

I'd take it.

I'd take the one loss over the multitude of others in its place.

Although we weren't in the situation to wish such things.

Well he did say he would take the loss if it meant he went.

Well he did say he would take the loss if it meant he went.

So he did. Still wouldn't want a defeat under any circumstances, unless say we were safe and a defeat would send the Mackems down.

Why do we think he's getting sacked anytime soon? What has changed this season?

As far as I can see, it's been business as usual since he wasn't sacked at the end of last season.

Also, why do we think JFK would do a better job?

Please don't take this to mean I don't want Pardew to choke on his lying tongue.* But I can't see why he's suddenly under more pressure, or why his replacement by JFK is the promise of anything other than more gross mismanagement...?

* That's a metaphor. I don't cheer for Pardew's physical demise...

As far as I can see, it's been business as usual since he wasn't sacked at the end of last season.

Please don't take this to mean I don't want Pardew to choke on his lying tongue.* But I can't see why he's suddenly under more pressure, or why his replacement by JFK is the promise of anything other than more gross mismanagement...?

* That's a metaphor. I don't cheer for Pardew's physical demise...

Trying to think in Ashley's mind here, he brought in 4-5 decent to very good players in January and one on loan and results aren't significantly better. There's no doubt in my mind that Pardew is in danger because Ashley won't want to have to spend another £20m in the window if maybe Gomis and a new manager would do it.

Please don't take this to mean I don't want Pardew to choke on his lying tongue. But I can't see why he's suddenly under more pressure, or why his replacement by JFK is the promise of anything other than more gross mismanagement...?

Ashley is businessman, if he thinks Pardew is going to fail again this season and cost him money and from the start we've made it's actually looking like a possibility, he will sack him. However he's not going to make a knee jerk reaction so early in the season when he's been our manager for 3 years and you have the feeling he likes to have the stability at the club and doesn't really want to be chopping and changing managers when things get tough. He's given Pardew another chance after last season's disaster but make no mistake about it, if he fails again, he will be gone.

Everton was a massive blow, he seemed to be improving things before that. He desperately needs to go back to the 4-3-3 we were using and just trust the team to turn it around. If he tinkers too much, brings back the solid pros, I can see it getting worse. Win against Cardiff and everyone will forget about us for another couple of weeks.

Everton was a massive blow, he seemed to be improving things before that. He desperately needs to go back to the 4-3-3 we were using and just trust the team to turn it around. If he tinkers too much, brings back the solid pros, I can see it getting worse. Win against Cardiff and everyone will forget about us for another couple of weeks.

If we win with his changes, people won't be forgetting for a couple of weeks. I think the only way people will get off his back over the international break is if we stick with the 4-3-3 and play pretty much the villa side, i'm not sure he will do this however.

This.  He seems incapable of sticking with an effective system which we've proved the vast majority of the times, works for the players we have at our disposal.  But instead he likes to change for every match in the belief that it somehow re-inforces his self opinion as a master tactician. 

Please don't take this to mean I don't want Pardew to choke on his lying tongue. But I can't see why he's suddenly under more pressure, or why his replacement by JFK is the promise of anything other than more gross mismanagement...?

Ashley is businessman, if he thinks Pardew is going to fail again this season and cost him money and from the start we've made it's actually looking like a possibility, he will sack him. However he's not going to make a knee jerk reaction so early in the season when he's been our manager for 3 years and you have the feeling he likes to have the stability at the club and doesn't really want to be chopping and changing managers when things get tough. He's given Pardew another chance after last season's disaster but make no mistake about it, if he fails again, he will be gone.

Why did you say 'fail again'? When did he fail the first time? We stayed up didn't we?

We weren't strong enough "in terms of depth" last season according to Pardew. That's why he blamed the Europa League. It meant the likes of Williamson had to play.

In January, he asked to get that situation rectified. Ashley obliged and Yanga-M'Biwa was brought in to get us better quality in that certain position.

He's now reverting to Williamson. His explanatory model is falling apart, hopefully in Ashley's eyes as well. It's the same shambles it's been for the past 12 months, despite us having next to no injuries, extra games or too few players.

We weren't strong enough "in terms of depth" last season according to Pardew. That's why he blamed the Europa League. It meant the likes of Williamson had to play.

In January, he asked to get that situation rectified. Ashley obliged and Yanga-M'Biwa was brought in to get us better quality in that certain position.

He's now reverting to Williamson. His explanatory model is falling apart, hopefully in Ashley's eyes as well. It's the same shambles it's been for the past 12 months, despite us having next to no injuries, extra games or too few players.

Well to be fair to Pardew, when you ask for a new player (and get one) you only later find out whether they actually play well for you. I would keep Mapou in obviously, but not sure your argument really works.

Don't think you can damn Pardew on transfers. He doesn't appear to have much say in them.

Why did you say 'fail again'? When did he fail the first time? We stayed up didn't we?

He still failed his targets though, unless you’re of the opinion Ashley would take 17th every single year if offered and be happy with that.

how's that?  hull was surely the blow right after villa because he did play the same 4-3-3 vs. hull (iirc, at least that's how he started) and it got torn to shreds because he doesn't know how to play it properly

everton had us beat the moment it fell apart vs. hull, never a doubt in my mind they'd rip us to bits

He still failed his targets though, unless you’re of the opinion Ashley would take 17th every single year if offered and be happy with that.

Tbh, i don't know his targets anymore than you do.

It's obvious Ashley has no real sporting ambition though so we have to assume that staying in the league is good enough (i'm sure he doesn't want relegation dog fights every year because we'll end up losing one again but he's not motivated to spend the necessary to make us regular top 8).

To be fair he had been banging on for a dominant centre back that would be a threat aerially and might actually bag some goals to go with it, Mapou couldn't be further away from what he asked for. I see Mapou more a replacement for Colo than a partner for Colo.

I'm sorry, but I haven't seen any evidence whatsoever that supports the bolded claims.

Even giving the most generous benefit of doubt, Ashley bought into Pardew's bullshit that the Europa League was a millstone around the club's neck and was the reason we performed so poorly in the league. He gave Pardew another chance but brought in his "own" man to advise and oversee Pardew (as well as himself). Even if you take these with the ludicrous bias I have placed on them, Ashley's only form for sacking a manager was getting rid of someone else's man and getting rid of a potential power rival. Neither have anything to do with performance - in fact, he (apparently) seems poised to slot in the man most responsible for our relegation!

Well to be fair to Pardew, when you ask for a new player (and get one) you only later find out whether they actually play well for you. I would keep Mapou in obviously, but not sure your argument really works.

I agree, Pardew can't be faulted for the signings he's given (even though he knew this was a situation he'd be faced with, so no real pity there either). But when he's asked to explain why we lose every other game, he's (naturally) pointed finger to the quality of certain players. He's then been given new players, but results have stayed the same.

His preferred type of CB isn't really my point (and this is in response to Brett and Lotus as well). Regardless of the type of CB Mapou is, his explanation that he had no options, that we weren't strong enough in terms of depth etc. - those were his reasons for the bad results last year. Not the fact that we lacked a tactical game plan, preferred footballing philosophy or willingness to win games, that we changed formation every game, attacked with two players at a time, played with 3-4 players out of position. Those were the real reasons, not that Williamson had to play.

I hope Ashley sees through his excuses this time.