Alan Pardew

Mike

Thought for the 1st 20-25 mins we were quite lucky tbh. Then we got to grips with it better, actually offering something going forward. 2nd half we certainly weren't lucky, we were better than them. Simples!

FFS why does it have to be that Chelsea were bad and we were lucky. We made them look bad and certainly weren't lucky. We have enough s*** to deal with without trying to take away the one shining light among the multitude of turds. While there's merit in saying playing like we did in the first half was a bit lucky. We defend well and before we scored we could have scored two.

Sod looking for reason why we shouldn't have won. We f***ing did and I enjoyed wind milling around my lounge. We were the better team and deserved to win over the 90 minutes.

For f*** sake just enjoy it.

:thup:

We weren't lucky, by and large, we made them look turd. Bar Mata, their lineup lent itself to games where there's more space, we shut down a lot of it and they didn't have the movement or creativity to break us down. There was an element of risk to it but there is with every strategy.

I think we played our part in making Chelsea look bad as well. Although obviously they didn't play to their potential, if they do that you'll never beat them.

Without a doubt. Like i've mentioned previously, even when not at their best, Chelsea can still win comfortably if the opposition isn't well drilled and organised, we were. It's credit to us for being so. I said before Chelsea's game, us fans have a habit of playing down our good performances in favour of saying the opposition didn't turn up if they are poor. It was the same for Liverpool when Suarez/Sturridge arrived, a week later they ripped West Brom to shreds. Even Man City midweek just got the excuse of their players weren't bothered and didn't look up for it.

We should be crediting our players for making them 3 sides look like that, understand if it was a one off performance but that's three very good teams and none of them have had an easy ride against us. We could have easily taken a bit of a battering off at least one of them but the players didn’t let that happen and give it their all.

I don't even think Terry's header was "lucky" - he was at or above crossbar height when he struck it, it curved upwards and hit the top half of the crossbar. It never looked like going in.

Now, the Santon penalty - that was lucky. And Hazard's daisycutter too because, even though it was going wide, there was a chance of it being deflected in.

strange world, the only people saying we were lucky are a bunch of newcastle fans. the nations press, the mackems I know who watched it, the chelsea fans we spoke to afterwards, even educated bees all thought we deserved it.

There's no way we were lucky on Saturday like. You can't possibly say "we were lucky that Chelsea were absolute turd", that's not luck anymore than to say after a hopeless defeat "we were unlucky today that we were utter garbage". You can't have it both ways.

I didn't think we were good (in the first half, we were very poor and conceded possession almost instantly every time we had it) but with the talent they had out, they were worse, did absolutely nothing with the ball, and we showed far more in the last twenty than they did in the entire game. We fully deserved to win the game, but not because we were superb, and not because we were lucky, we were just better than an atrocious (on the day) Chelsea.

We were lucky in as much as we hardly tried anything during the first half and Chelsea were poor.  I doubt our negative first half would pay off very often against them and that is down to luck.  I will be very surprised to find out that they'd had more possession in a game than they had against us without coming out of it with 3 points.  In the end we deserved to win because of what we did in the last 20 minutes or so when we were excellent.

You can be unlucky not to win, that wouldn't be the case if we were utter garbage though.

We didn't try much in the first half, but against them I was just happy not to be 2-0 down inside 20 mins. They have a lot of players who can hurt us, and we made sure they didn't. The first half wasn't pretty, but we closed down the space well and stopped them getting at us. Then in the second half we went for it and played some pretty good football tbf. We were well organised with a good game plan for 90 mins. If Pards could do that more often I wouldn't have any complaints.

strange world, the only people saying we were lucky are a bunch of newcastle fans. the nations press, the mackems I know who watched it, the chelsea fans we spoke to afterwards, even educated bees all thought we deserved it.

Pardaganda. He tells us we are lucky to win games so we don't expect to win more than 1 in 4.

We're also unlucky when we lose because it can't possibly be his fault.

Newcastle 0-2 Manchester City: Pardew blames cup exit on bad luck

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24752472

Pardew: Newcastle were unlucky

http://www.touchlinetalk.com/pardew-newcastle-unlucky/71188/

And a classic...

Newcastle's indifferent form due to 'misfortune' says Alan Pardew

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/may/14/alan-pardew-newcastle?CMP=twt_gu

There'll be more but sadly I'm busy  :aww:

That's great and all, Jack. But, I don't think I've seen him say we were lucky to win against Chelsea.

Managed to spare a minute for you xx

"The breaks in the game can make all the difference and we got the breaks today whereas at Sunderland we didn’t."

ttyl

Guest icemanblue

Eesh, you're a sneaky little bugger, Jack. I prefer:

It’s a great win for us and deserved. I didn’t see a team against Sunderland that deserved to lose, I didn’t see a team that deserved to lose against Man City, but you need to earn your break.

And we earned it today. We weren’t brilliant in the first half with the ball, but second half was much better and we got the reward we want.

Guest Slippery Sam

Just realised that Pardew is an anagram of Warped. Or is it the other way around?

Anyhoo, it's turned out nice again Mildred :)

It’s a great win for us and deserved. I didn’t see a team against Sunderland that deserved to lose, I didn’t see a team that deserved to lose against Man City, but you need to earn your break.

And we earned it today. We weren’t brilliant in the first half with the ball, but second half was much better and we got the reward we want.

I've seen both games previous to the Chelsea game exactly like that, hence when we eventually got a win it wasn't a huge surprise to me as i think we've played decent football since the second half of Everton.

Against Sunderland we kept the ball but just created nothing, and neither did they but at least we weren't camped in our own half for large periods. Against Man City thought we played better again, actually created chances, just never took them then once again got punished for it. Then against Chelsea created the chances and slotted them away when they came, duly deserved. Was no shock horror even if we all might have expected us to play well but concede once again, this time it all came together.

Hope we can give another good account of oursleves against a talented Spurs side, no reason why we can't go there and come back with a decent result. It's the last of our tough fixture period in which many thought might see the end of Pardew but a good performance at Spurs and we've came out relativley well.

I've seen both games previous to the Chelsea game exactly like that, hence when we eventually got a win it wasn't a huge surprise to me as i think we've played decent football since the second half of Everton.

Against Sunderland we kept the ball but just created nothing, and neither did they but at least we weren't camped in our own half for large periods. Against Man City thought we played better again, actually created chances, just never took them then once again got punished for it. Then against Chelsea created the chances and slotted them away when they came, duly deserved. Was no shock horror even if we all might have expected us to play well but concede once again, this time it all came together.

Hope we can give another good account of oursleves against a talented Spurs side, no reason why we can't go there and come back with a decent result. It's the last of our tough fixture period in which many thought might see the end of Pardew but a good performance at Spurs and we've came out relativley well.

I'd agree with that regarding the way we've played since the first half at Everton, but the Sunderland game scared me in a sense of - if you can't see off a team as bad as that then you have problems.

I don't understand why I have a slightly optimistic feeling about Sunday coming as it's just the type of fixture we've capitulated in far too often recently.

I'd agree with that regarding the way we've played since the first half at Everton, but the Sunderland game scared me in a sense of - if you can't see off a team as bad as that then you have problems.

I don't understand why I have a slightly optimistic feeling about Sunday coming as it's just the type of fixture we've capitulated in far too often recently.

It was worrying, no doubt, still is in fact. They were absolutely terrible and we couldn't break them down. I still think we have a lot to prove on that front, Norwich/West Brom in a couple of weeks will give us a better indication to see if we have improved in this area as it's hard to tell with two home games against City/Chelsea as neither of them were content with sitting back. Hughton will set up camp and it will be down to us to break them down, it's a big test for our creativity as a side.